• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So can we officially give the whole "no one will ever license this show" complaint a rest now?

Never I will keep complaining about it not being liscensed while holding my copy of the bluray
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Penguindrum? Tegami Bachi? AWESOME!! 8D My week has been made.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Mawaru Penguindrum blu-ray in December of this year?! WHAT?! It will be a great Christmas gift to myself. Keeping the license secret then revealing it a few months before its release is pretty smart too, since it makes sure the hype doesn't die during a long wait.

So, it seems like I'll be giving money to Sentai in early 2013 for a bunch of shows! Very Happy
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
There was a rumor that Penguindrum was licensed for awhile, glad its finally been confirmed. Day 1 purchase for me.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will release Ninja Scroll on Blu-ray like Manga Entertainment is doing in the U.K.
Frankly though I wish someone would rescue the Ninja Scroll TV series. I liked it better than the movie.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
I wonder if they will release Ninja Scroll on Blu-ray like Manga Entertainment is doing in the U.K.
Frankly though I wish someone would rescue the Ninja Scroll TV series. I liked it better than the movie.

They are releasing it on blu ray Smile .
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pleased that the reports that Mawaru Penguindrum had been licensed have proven to be true. It's a kind of strange premise, but it's also directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara and with him, kind of strange is what you want. And being as it will be released on Blu-ray, it's pretty likely to have an English dub... let's hope that it's better than Revolutionary Girl Utena's. (Unless the seemingly ever rare good Stephen Foster is available, best to keep him away from it)

I'm very interested in this and won't have to wait very long. Quite nice.

It's interesting that Sentai would make this announcement at Animaine. I would expect an announcement like this at one of the larger regional conventions. Perhaps they couldn't announce these until now and didn't want to wait or are experimenting with a change in strategy.

Melanchthon wrote:
Penguindrum licensed -> My reaction.

So say we all, M Bison, so say we all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I imagine they are saving some announcments for AWA (which i'll be attending) and plan to announce their fall stuff there so they probably announced them here since i doubt they'd have enough time to include these.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope they're getting the Ninja Scroll BD, otherwise that's kind of useless to me.

Oh, I guess they are. Wish the ANN article had made that clear. I've skimmed through the BD, and it looks incredibly sharp, kills any previous DVD. We don't see too many analog anime reissues on BluRay, but absolutely no one can say they can't see a difference between 480p and 1080p, the entire look of the video changes, it's not mere upscaling like you'd have with 2000-2008 anime. Either you're blind or have an old TV. I just wish Discotek could get on the BD game, there are so BDs they could grab up that are already old enough in Japan for reverse importation worries to die off, early releases that came out in 2007 and 2008.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope they're getting the Ninja Scroll BD, otherwise that's kind of useless to me.

They will be releasing it on blu ray but it remains to be seen if it is the same ones the japanese got.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So can we officially give the whole "no one will ever license this show" complaint a rest now?

For that one, anyway. There's still several things out there worth licensing that are losing time due to not being so fresh, like Kaiba, Trapeze, Kemonozume, Mononoke. Artsy fartsy stuff. How about Basquash? That shouldn't have the musical entanglements like Macross, but I've always thought it was as worth of a license as Michiko to Hatchin.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Even though I REALLY wanted NISA to license Penguindrum (that artbook would've been freak'n awesome), I'm just glad that it got licensed by someone who won't take 2+ years to release it. I also hope it gets an "all 26-episode on blu-ray collection" like both seasons of Clannad.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

They will be releasing it on blu ray but it remains to be seen if it is the same ones the japanese got.

And if they will go the extra mile and release it in a steelbox like Manga Entertainment will.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Even though I REALLY wanted NISA to license Penguindrum (that artbook would've been freak'n awesome), I'm just glad that it got licensed by someone who won't take 2+ years to release it. I also hope it gets an "all 26-episode on blu-ray collection" like both seasons of Clannad.

They said first part will be out in December. I assume it will be 2 parts.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
So happy that Penguindrum is officially licensed now. I had been hearing the rumors that it had been licensed, so it's great to see it finally confirmed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12