• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation.com to Repost Fullmetal Alchemist after Fixes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Phantom only has one episode left...

Question Question Question
Phantom has 17 episodes left. It's a 26 episode series. We still haven't gotten episodes 10-26.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Do you think any of the folks who overreacted in the other thread will feel silly now?

Nope. Theres still a killer on the lose. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The episode are back up.
Expias

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/funimation
FMA: Brotherhood has returned to www.funimation.com/video! Tell your friends! Episode 9 will go live tomorrow at 10:00 am CDT as planned.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
My assessment of Funimation's new security measures:

The Good:
At least it's an improvement.
All the simple methods of figuring out how to download the streams have been removed.
Hopefully this is enough to keep the trolls away for the time being. [EDIT: Seems like it wasn't enough]

The Bad:
Things have changed, but not enough has changed.
Funimation is still using security through obscurity, yet it is a bit more obscured this time.
For a person who knows what they are doing, the URL can be figured out in ~30-120 seconds. [Edit: Or maybe not, I may have made a mistake]
It's still possible to download the streams by entering a URL in your browser. [Edit: Or maybe not, I may have made a mistake]
The problem with people being able to easily guess the a future video file names has not been solved.

Conclusion:
Funimation still has a lot of work to do improving security if they don't want people downloading their streams so easily.
This will only stop people temporarily. Eventually a troll will figure it out, and soon after the whole internet will know. [EDIT: Temporarily ended up being much shorter than I expected]
It would not be a smart move for Funimation to bring back One Piece, with only these recent security improvements in place.

I seriously hope someone from Funimation reads these boards and takes my constructive criticism to heart that their security could still use some improvement.

Edit: So much for that. I just discovered that way before I made this post, someone had already leaked Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist 09 to BitTorrent...
Edit2: I either made some mistakes, or Funimation fixed things quickly. I was avoiding downloading the things myself, so I'm not really sure anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2