• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shikabane Hime: Aka Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Glad to see a decent review on 'Shikabane Hime'. I enjoyed this title. So I'm really looking forward to picking it up once it's packaged and ready to go.

Yeah the animation is very slick. It's what you expect from the gods of fandom. Although I must admit, considering the amount of fanservice on some of the covers of the manga, (ie., vol. 1, think "happiness is a warm gun" or "never knew women had extensions of woman-hood) it's no wonder Gainax had no problem doing what they do best. I never knew it was possible to get move around in a mini-skirt while showing no more than 1/8 of a butt cheek. But despite if fanservice it's high octane kick-ass action, and a pretty good story. And if the strong OP theme song along with some slick animation showing disturbing images doesn't convince you that it's worth a look, then you are not paying attention.

I'd be curious to take a look at the manga to see how the story really ended.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I won't be interested in this Gainax title unless there's an over-elaborate metaphor for puberty.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Both in terms of writing and overall opinion, this is the best review I've seen of this show yet, so consider me convinced to try it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of shows that feature moe/bishoujo type chicks, I love this show because of the beautiful women and because of the implied Makina/Ouri romance and action. That is, I adored the hot women, implied romance, and the strong action violence.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but i have to disagree on this one. Don't get me wrong it wasn't complete garbage or anything, it just isn't anywhere near the A-grade entertainment this review made it out to be.

The humor, which many has pointed out, was pretty forced even when it didn't came from Keisei. Then it wasn't just forced but also a little weird at times.

The art style is pretty similar to the one used in Diebuster and gurren lagann and the somewhat cartoonish look of it clashed quiet a bit with the over-all mode of the show. asnd then there's the over-excess of movement anytime someone does an arial attack. I had no problem digesting the fly-fights of dragonball or people air-surfing on neon-colored air-waves in eureka seven, but i draw the line at people doing half a boogie in the air every time they wanna jump in for a point-blank shot.

The dialog was fine except for when the female lead opened her mouth. Then she speaks all the same line about how she is shikabane hime, her fate is sealed, it's her right to hunt corpses and so on and so forth. This she even says to a civilian one time (or so i've heard) even though it is supposed to be classified information. Not even Sailor moon was that compulsive in her speech!

Well i could go on and on a little longer but i think I've made my point. This is the most mediocre anime Gainax has ever produced, summed up perfectly in its main character Ouri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2