• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Michael Jackson (1958-2009) & the Zillion Anime Connections

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what a coincidence. They just played the "Scream" video on VH1 a couple of minutes ago and then I suddenly see this on ANN's homepage. I've never seen or heard of Zillion but that's still pretty cool that a clip of anime was in a Michael Jackson video. Rest in peace Michael.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I always wondered what anime it was in that video since I saw it back in the 90s... Today I know...
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
MJ was the only guy I'd ever known of that transcended just about every boundary there is. It wasn't just the fact that his music was awesome, but dude was just huge all over the world, hell in places where names like the Beatles, Metallica, George Bush, Obama or even Jesus might not ever be heard of, bet you for sure they'd still know who Micheal Jackson was.

I'm exaggerating yeah but very little, it's a shame his life took the turn it did and apparently it seemed to only continue in a downward spiral, it just wasn't a very happy end for the guy and as someone who thought the world of him back when I was a kid, this really fucks me up.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I much care for the topic of the article, but my condolences go out to all who are grieving...

[/seriousness]
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
HEEEE HEE

There's also footage from Babel II in there. There IS Akira too, but it's for like two seconds towards the end of the video (it's of Tetsuo falling). The earliest clip of the girl screaming might be from Zillion too I guess, but I dunno.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be ignoring the haters and playing MICHAEL JACKSON'S MOONWALKER

HOOOO HOO
saber_kite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
MJ was the only guy I'd ever known of that transcended just about every boundary there is. It wasn't just the fact that his music was awesome, but dude was just huge all over the world, hell in places where names like the Beatles, Metallica, George Bush, Obama or even Jesus might not ever be heard of, bet you for sure they'd still know who Micheal Jackson was.

I'm exaggerating yeah but very little, it's a shame his life took the turn it did and apparently it seemed to only continue in a downward spiral, it just wasn't a very happy end for the guy and as someone who thought the world of him back when I was a kid, this really fucks me up.

Well said. And you can't argue the fact that his works are so huge, a whole generation of artists were influenced by him. Despite what happened to him in the recent years, he was still and always will be, the King of Pop.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, was the scream video that long ago? Doesn't feel like that long ago since I first saw it. Then again it's probably been about 15 years since I've watched MTV so I guess that's right.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Michael Jackson was my childhood idol.

He was the first real musician that got me interested in music, period. Before him, all I listened to were kiddy songs from Disney and the Chipmunks. "Man in the Mirror" pulled me in to racial equality, Billie Jean got stuck in my head all throughout elementary school, and Thriller just had probably the best dance choreography in history, bar none.

Then he fell into seclusion and got lost in it ever since. I grew up and went on to rock with heavy metal and tolerate rap. But, deep down, the music of Michael Jackson was always in my heart. I didn't really care about any of the allegations or things he did in his recent years. I'll always remember how his music lived with me throughout my life.

RIP Michael. Always.
Silvercat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I think the news has gone a little crazy about his death.
Last night I watched the local news and it was like 5 mins about his death (Including an interview with some of his cousins who are local. Sorta made sense, get a local feel.), then 30 seconds on Farrah Fawcett death, then regular news.
Then they said that in the second part of the 1/2 they would have an interview with a guy who was a backup dancer to Micheal years ago, I stopped watching.
There is news, then there is pointless fluff past off as newsworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A-Log

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a MJ cameo in an anime in the early 1990s? I remember that it was an anime that concerns to friends that became idols and in one episode met several musicians in one episode; MJ being one of them (even speaking English). Any one remembers which anime that would be?

Plus, with MJ, we wouldn't have Django of One Piece.

Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
RIP. He was a talented artist and I'll always appreciate his music.

Tomibiki wrote:
MJ was the only guy I'd ever khttp://fast.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=quote&p=795619nown of that transcended just about every boundary there is. It wasn't just the fact that his music was awesome, but dude was just huge all over the world, hell in places where names like the Beatles, Metallica, George Bush, Obama or even Jesus might not ever be heard of, bet you for sure they'd still know who Micheal Jackson was.

Really? I know they're hugely popular but not more so that quite a few other bands from various genres. Do you really think they're on par with the others on that list?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
A-Log wrote:
Wasn't there a MJ cameo in an anime in the early 1990s? I remember that it was an anime that concerns to friends that became idols and in one episode met several musicians in one episode; MJ being one of them (even speaking English). Any one remembers which anime that would be?

Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto

Hell, there was an MJ cameo in the (Gaku?) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OVA. Parody of Thriller.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
When there are videos on the internet like those of a real North Korean prison yard filled with inmates perforiming in-sync to the original moves of Thriller; of a smiling Iranian dad, in an outer-Tehran neighborhood, ordering his two preteen children to entertain guests and the camcorder with their polished routine of moonwalks and spins to the beats of Bad; of a non-english speaking Venezualan teenager bellowing out the chorus to Billie Jean, with high-pitched screams and all; it becomes obvious that, even at a time when anti-American feelings are at their peak, Michael Jackson is still a demi-god level entertainment ICON who's influence crosses all national, cultural, religious, and political divides.

Yet, this statement only alludes to a mere fraction of the true scope of Michael Jackson's worldwide notoriety.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
I was only married for 2 months when Elvis died and can remember the world's media was in a frenzy then as well. Same happened when John Lennon was shot. Like has been said; love him, or loth him, he was a global iconic product that attracted worshippers, not just casual fans. People still visit Jim Morrison's grave in Paris and decorate it like a hippy shrine. It will be no different for the next global icon to pop his, or her clogs. Personally I always felt he died when he went strange after "Thriller", and it's taken this long for a vital organ like the heart to catch up to that. I was never a fan of his music anyway.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
A-Log wrote:

Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto

Hell, there was an MJ cameo in the (Goku?) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OVA. Parody of Thriller.
Not to mention the episode of Nerima Daikon Brothers that had an MJ lookalike as its Villain of the Week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3