• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G Confirms Involvement in Animated Dante's Inferno Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I object to the word 'Game' being omitted from this title, another waste of time, I would not have clicked on the RSS feed if a video game had been mentioned. The story of the actual poem from the Divine Comedy is completely different & is an allegory:

"It is an allegory telling of the journey of Dante through what is largely the medieval concept of Hell, guided by the Roman poet Virgil. In the poem, hell is depicted as 9 Circles of suffering located within the earth. Allegorically, the Divine Comedy represents the journey of the soul towards God, with the Inferno describing the recognition and rejection of sin". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_%28Dante%29

This is pretty much the exact opposite of blasting your way through nine levels of demons - utter crap!

This is spin & should be tagged as such. Shame on IG for going with it.

Nico M
Proud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Sentire wrote:
Definitely catches my attention. With the director of Ergo Proxy involved on this project, I can see the potential... just hope I feel a little more satisfied with this ending.

Same, and I'll be very curious as to how much he'll be involved with during the production. I'm going to guess that he'll be directing only one part of the anthology, though.
FWNW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote
Such a disappointment. I was thinking this would be an adaptation of the first book of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. It would have made for a great franchise.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
whoever wrote the article wrote:

Shukou Murase, and other directors will oversee the six parts of the anthology.

Can someone please explain what that means? Are we looking at six OVAs? Six super-short OVAs?

According to director Yasuomi Umetsu in the first article about the project, each part will be about 10 minutes long.

nicomorr wrote:
I object to the word 'Game' being omitted from this title, another waste of time, I would not have clicked on the RSS feed if a video game had been mentioned. The story of the actual poem from the Divine Comedy is completely different & is an allegory

This is the second article on this project. The introduction of the first article already mentioned in May that this project is based on an Electronic Arts game.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
The manga I mentioned by Nagai Go is a pretty direct adaptation of the Divine Comedy, by the way. Maybe they'll animate that sometime. (I kind of doubt it, though. Too few battles Sad ).
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
6 episodes could simply mean 5 mins each. But EA did make a bunch of simply animated comics (though nicely atmospheric) for Dead Space and a feature length film too. So maybe we'll get some cool 20 min shorts? They'll probably sell them on a DVD as part of a collector's edition to get us to spend more money on the game.

I'm disappointed it turned out to be a hack and slash God of War type game. I was hoping for a more Silent Hill-ish survival horror that would be more in keeping with the original Dante's Inferno. The game looks okay, but pales in comparison to God of War III on PS3. But maybe the PSP version mgiht be worth getting but it has to contend against God of War Chains of Olympus...

I've really got no interest in the game, but hey I'm all up for I.G. animated shorts!

Also it is interesting to note the current trend of Hollywood getting anime shorts/motion comics to promote franchise films. The Wachowski Bros got teh ball rolling with Animatrix and that was awesome! Guess HOllywood and Game developers know the interests of their target audience now and try to exploit it as much as they can. But hey if it's good quality stuff then it's all good!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
VLOXY wrote:
Shukou Murase is an amazing individual and I wish him all the luck!

True. He's done some pretty amazing design work in the past. He also directed Witch Hunter Robin and I believe was a storyboard artiest and episode director on Samurai Champloo.

I've never read Dante's Inferno and I haven't seen any thing about the games. But, if there is more people like Murase involved in the project and its being animated by Production I.G it can't be that bad...can it? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Cue anime haters saying EA game is part of the anime industry, and saying don't buy the game because it support the anime industry and claim the anime industry bought out EA game and say it's all part of the conspiracy to turn gamers into anime otaku in 3...2...1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Game story: Dante steals Death's scythe and uses his super powers to slaughter his way through nine levels packed with giant demon hordes to rescue Beatrice from Death.

I may have made a mistake there. Turns out he's actually trying to save Beatrice from Satan, presumably by engaging him in close combat. And possibly killing him, ala Arnold Schwarzenegger in End of Days(?)

"Each piece we sort of interpret a little bit differently"
-Developer interview trailer
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm working on Dante's Inferno, and it's an Animatrix-type film by six different studios. Film Roman has one part, I.G. has one, Manglobe has one, and the other three are Korean studios whose names I can't remember. I'm watching the full animatic right now, and it looks okay. Awkward pacing at the beginning, but it gets better.

Also I.G.'s designs are weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2