• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (with completed index)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
With regards to the weather change, usually if it's extremely hot that means there will be rain to follow anyways, that's just what I assumed. It could just be balmy still as the rain pours.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
Miranox, remember that part where I mentioned sensationalizing the disasters? Both of your examples are global catastrophes that threaten humanity with extinction. Tokyo Magnitude is a localized disaster, and despite the strength of the quake, the body count so far seems to be rather low. Also, the episodes are preceded by the note that significant research went into this production to make it as realistic as possible.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Odaiba didn't really look so horrible for an earthquake of 8.0 on Richter, but the burning buildings in the distance did. Apparently, Odaiba is not the epicenter of the disaster. It was mentioned in the news where it was, ... though I doubt I'll get suddenly proficient in the Kanto area's infrastructure to judge over the details. I mean, I understand why people feel a discrepancy in the story - the title, the intro, the opening and the earthquake onset strongly implied apocalypse, which we haven't seen as yet. Perhaps more of the aftermath would come in the next episodes (either the three characters would be looking for shelters and/or Mari would help the children to find their parents in the city).

Anyway, the accent as of now is on the characters and their respective stories. I think that the most memorable scene for me in episode 2 was when Mirai expressed her disbelief Mari would return, that is, she could have abandoned them, seemingly under caring pretext. It strongly resonates with the underlying problems in Mirai's family (as seen in episode 1) ... to the point that I have the impression the family holds mostly on Yuuki's innocent gestures of love for the other members.

Mirai, as much as she seems to show the typical moodiness for her age, reacts to her parents' busy schedule and (obviously) routine communication. I guess, although children are perfectly capable to understand the nature of adults' priorities, they miss their parents and dislike them to be ... hmm..., psychologically absent? I mean, what was this obssession with the birthday cake being round, which Mirai brought forward two or three times. It utterly bewildered me, 'cause, you know, I wondered does it really matter for a BD cake to be ... round. Then I thought perhaps Mirai wanted her mom and dad to organise a real party, willing to sacrifice their schedules and attention for the sake of a geniuine family fun, part of which is bringing the standard round BD cake and so on.

The series shapes more as a josei treat with Mari's character (not surprisngly following Eden of the East on Noitamina). Mari is or was a single mother, showed to respond naturally to the two kids' distress. Well, I expect to enjoy more the realistic charge of her character in the next episodes.
Also, let me mention the lady, I think she a worker at the center, who obviously did her best to protect Yuuki.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
With all due respect Miranox, The Day After Tomorrow is one of the worst blockbuster disaster movies I know of. The characters literally outrun a wave of cold. Utterly no originality, besides how the film manages to make a mockery of science. At least an abomination such as The Core had a sense of humour.

Yes, The Day After Tomorrow is pretty much science-fiction. The climate change scenario it shows is physically impossible. However, this doesn't necessarily make the movie bad. As Dorcas_Aurelia said, Hollywood rarely bothers with realism and goes for sensationalism instead. They do this because it makes the movie more entertaining.

dtm42 wrote:
Also, a disaster can be looked at two ways in terms of scope. There is the overview approach, what happens to everyone, and that is when we watch a huge cast of people who can't act battling the odds in true Hollywood style (with required romance sub-plot(s) of course), occasionally checking in on the generals and the Chiefs of Staff sitting around the table. And of course one of them is a scientist who knows everything there is to know about what is going on, and who is probably racing to save his/her son/daughter from the meteor/tsunami/death ray/insert disaster here.

Creating character archetypes probably makes script writing easier and that's how clichés are born. There are movie who are more original though. Deep Impact is one of the better disaster movies out there and it strives for some realism while also avoiding the clichés you mentioned as much as possible.

dtm42 wrote:
Or there is the personal experience, which is how virtually everyone who isn't in the military or government experiences a disaster. They don't know what is going on, they are just trying to (in this order) survive, look for relatives/friends, find shelter, forage for food, and check their cellphones in a desperate but futile attempt to find out just what is going on. They don't know the big picture, so neither do we, and the cast is typically much smaller. So, considering this is just an earthquake (albeit a big one), and not an alien invasion or trumped-up popcorn flick of a disaster movie, it makes sense not to focus on ten different people. Just focus on a select few I say, and give them greater depth than would be possible in another, poorer series. It better allows us to place ourselves in their shoes, and it makes for better viewing.

I had no problem imagining myself as one of the characters of the two movies I mentioned. A larger cast makes the script much more complicated and allows less time for individual character development. This is why many anime and movies fail when they try to handle many characters. If done well, having a large and diverse cast will get you a lot more viewers. I have no problem with small casts though. They can work just fine.

dtm42 wrote:
Also, I have to question your assertion that because Hollywood has already done an earthquake, that means it is not original if an Anime series does one as well. I suppose then that Macross or Evangelion (or any number of other Anime titles) are unoriginal and should never have been made, because Hollywood had already done an alien invasion with War of the Worlds?

And although I will not hold it against the show too much if by the end of it Mirai and her family don't get along better, I think the show has already started to go the route that disasters can make you appreciate life and your loved ones better. And what is so wrong with that? People usually change at least a little after a disaster, either for the worse or better. That's life, and hopefully the Mirai and Yuuki and Mari that finish (or not) their journey are different people to the ones who we saw in episode one.

I haven't seen Macross yet, but War of the Worlds is nothing like Evangelion. Only the general idea is similar. On the other hand, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is similar in many aspects to other disaster movies. I have a good idea what to expect so I found it somewhat boring. It's the most realistic scenario I've seen so far, so I will keep watching to see how everything turns out. It's too early to criticize properly anyway.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Mari reminds me of a really happy version of Balsa actually. Anyway, episode 2 was excellent, I was really anxious while Mirai was searching for Yuuki and I felt her pain keenly having a younger sibling myself whom I care about deeply.

I also have a feeling the disasters aren't over yet, especially after the mention of a tsunami being a possible result of the quake. I'm really looking forward to their journey.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Mari reminds me of a really happy version of Balsa actually.

I thought so too. At least, her appearance strikes me as similar to Balsa.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen episode 1 but from what I've seen the characters seem real, their actions and emotions all seem like real life and not like other shows. It seems that after this episode everything will start to unfold.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode Three

Well, another great episode.

The trio got off the island, which was to be expected. I think it sad that Mari couldn't take her motorbike on the boat, but A: with it she couldn't have pretended she was the children's mother, B: it wouldn't have been allowed on anyway, and C: it probably would have been rendered useless anyway with the big tsunami caused by the bridge collapsing (assuming the bike hadn't been washed away). Their best bet is to go to a shelter and wait there, but it seems they are going to walk. Very risky.
Assuming they won't be attacked by roving gangs, what will they do for food? For water? For news once the batteries on their phones run out? Will they even be able to find the way? What if their route is blocked? So many unknowns, so many variables. It really is a very risky move, especially with two children in tow (sorry Mirai, but not matter how much you protest, you are still a child, physically and emotionally).

We learnt that Mari's husband is dead (I kind of figured as much), and I have to say she is not just a kind mother-figure but an excellent person all round. Hard-working, polite, generous, considerate, resourceful, funny, patient, level-headed, quick-witted, and good-natured. Just the sort of person you want in such a situation, and a great role model for Mirai. Her whipping out bandaids - frog bandaids - to help Mirai out was especially funny. The poor girl will never live it down.
The part about helping the mother in distress was a good moment, as it showed one mother helping another out; the shared look of sympathy between them went down a treat (I was glad to see that the mother and her two children made it safely onto the boat). It showed Mari at her decisive and helpful best.
That said I'm not worried, but perhaps a little anxious, to see that Mari doesn't completely dominate the series, such is the force of her personality. And I really don't want her to become a Mary Sue, so her character needs to be handled with care.

Mirai of course couldn't be around Mari and not absorb some of Mari's optimism. While it did take all episode, it was nice to see Mirai finally appreciate how unselfish and caring Mari is. The business with the sandals was a realistic touch; as someone who has also suffered the agony (and it really is agony) of breaking in a pair of leather sandals, I can only wince in sympathy. It's amazing how this show can create drama using nothing more than the clothes the characters are wearing (and I don't mean that in an Ecchi kind of way). This is a very human show, and the characters suffer very human ailments. Which only helps with the realism.

The realism maybe wasn't as good this episode (did we need to have two scenes where the children got lost in the crowd?), but overall the drama managed to elicit concern for the safety of the characters. It is when they stick to the very human dramas - the small ones that strike from moment to moment - that the action really shines. Though the tsunami scenes were very good, I thought the part where the man jumps on to side of the boat and falls off into the water to be more poignant than the big flashy scenes involving crumbling structures.
I don't know, the bit of the highway that didn't fall down looked fine, so why did only a single section (albeit one over the water) crumble? Actually, on a side note, I was pretty scared in that scene, as I didn't realise it was over the water and believed that people were underneath it when it fell. Luckily that didn't happen.
Now the bridge plainly fell apart in a very dubious way. The outside struts on a suspension bridge are for holding up the towers, and they do so by pulling the towers towards the ends. So if the middle section gave way the towers should collapse outwards, not inwards towards each other, which is what was shown. I don't know, that whole sequence looked dodgy as hell; how did it even fall down? Surely fires wouldn't have been able to melt away the supports, right? Still, since I don't expect the animators had footage of an actual suspension bridge being destroyed, I won't hold it against them. There's computer modelling but that could be really expensive.

All in all another excellent episode that showcases the true strength of the series; the characters. However, the more I watch the deeper my dread that the children's parents, as well as Mari's son, are all dead. I really hope the story doesn't go that route. Not because it would be bad storytelling per se, but because I really don't want the characters to suffer through that. I want to watch a nice happy "feelgood" ending where Mirai can show off to her parents how mature and happy she has become.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
With episode 3 I finally got my death toll, which I was hoping for. I did find it a bit suspicious that when Mari turned on her phone the information they wanted most was just about to begin, but I suppose the channel is probably broadcasting continuing reports so it isn't all that fishy. I took note that Mari's phone battery was fully charged, and hopefully it will realistically run out.

dtm42 wrote:
The realism maybe wasn't as good this episode (did we need to have two scenes where the children got lost in the crowd?)

I agree. As good as this show is, they seem to want to do the same things at least two times, if anyone recalls the second episode where Mari saves Mirai from falling debris twice. I don't know what it is, but it is a bit of a strange pattern.

I've noticed that Mari seems most likely to help people with children or just children. This might reflect a feeling of guilt that Mari has in raising her child or regretting the way she has treating her child in the past. The fact that Mari is such a nice, caring person makes me wonder if she isn't hiding something, or using Mirai and Yuuki to get special treatment (such as on the boat), but since taking care of the children would probably not be worth it to someone who just wants to use them, it is more likely that Mari is just plain nice.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually found it less realistic because they didn't get separated more. Stopping the way a moving crowd is pushing you is virtually impossible. When I went to Warped Tour, I was part of a group of four seventeen year olds. If the crowds were intense, we'd get separated several times during a single show despite trying to hold hands (people pushing to get closer, someone tripping, the slightest ripple can have a big effect on a large, very tight crowd). The massive amount of momentum pushing you in one direction and someone else in another is simply overpowering. Luckily, we had working cell phones to help us get back together after shows we got separated in. These guys don't have such a luxury. It just felt like it was *push* *get separated for a moment* *yay! we found each other* In a real crowd, it's more of the first two steps creating a larger and larger distance, and you being powerless to do anything.

Edit: Right before the massive push when they were at the docks, I thought I heard someone being trampled. Was that just me?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:
Edit: Right before the massive push when they were at the docks, I thought I heard someone being trampled. Was that just me?

Well someone did fall over while in that crowd; I was afraid they were going to be trampled, but we never saw or heard anything more about that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
I think one of the great things about this have been some of the small issues that would appear and some of the reactions of the characters. Getting lost in a crowed can be a very scarey scene and with people acting that way they could easily be sperated, even if hands are being held, some people like to push. The fact she is wearing sandals gives a nasty idea of how she would be in pain, as someone who has hiked with blisters I know it is not a happy experience. The fact Mari stoped to help that mother with two young children was a good scene, she looks like a good example of how to act in such an event. And Mirai's coment of saying that she is nosey I think is a great example of how people of that age can view mother figures (my mother can be very nosey).

I think I got the feeling that Mari is feeling guilty, about spending little time with her daughter and is actualy realy worried about her and also that she may hae gotten the other two hurt. I thought that maybe the bridges going off was possibly an explosion which can be known to happen in many types of urban fires. The news cast also stated something about further aftershocks for the next 3 days of magnitude 5.0. I would think that they might think that futher disasters may follow, and choices of telling everyone to walk on bridges and other objects that might fall apart at any moment may be dangerous decisions. Wouldnt it be a good idea to keep people safe and away from walking into danger, instead telling people to be in specific safe areas till it dies down.
nasanu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I share most of the same feelings towards this anime as expressed here. My one concern is that Mari should really be more worried about her child. She should be panicked over the thought that her daughter might be dead. But she just is not fussed, when ever she gets around to checking on her is fine... It makes little sense and I hope it is somehow explained later on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
nasanu wrote:
I share most of the same feelings towards this anime as expressed here. My one concern is that Mari should really be more worried about her child. She should be panicked over the thought that her daughter might be dead. But she just is not fussed, when ever she gets around to checking on her is fine... It makes little sense and I hope it is somehow explained later on.

I think she is worried, but she is also concerned about putting on a tough face for two kids that may not make it to there parents without her help. I think she feels what if they were her children and as they are an outlet for her motherly side she may not wory as much as if she had nothing.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
nasanu wrote:

It's true doesn't seem very worried about her child but deep down she is and her main concern right now are Yuuki and Mirai and since they both live relatively close to eachother according to her she might as well bring them back with her because it's on her way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9