• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The 08th MS Team BD Box to Add New Short Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Oh my God, and I just bought the complete set on DVD.

Why did Bandai have to announce halting home video releases NOW?!

This is by far the best completed Universal Century OVA series.

sorry, bro
there is nothing better in this world than 0083 other than G-gundam which is in a separate world. Wink

08th felt like it dragged on a bit for me... idk, maybe the opening song was too long or something.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
FigNewton wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Someone for the love of god rescue the Gundam series here so we can have this.

Pretty sure there will be no traditional domestic rescue for Gundam. Looks like we are most likely stuck with the "official import" model.

There HAS to be a way to get it rescued. 08th MS Team is a well known Gundam series, as are G Gundam and Wing, and they deserve to be rereleased here. Sunrise is a bunch of idiots that don't know what they're doing, and they need to be convinced that not every person in the US can afford to "just import" their releases like Unicorn. I think it'll be a matter of time before someone can get a hold of Gundam here, it's just the fact that they have no idea how to market it overseas.

EDIT: What you say is true about the success of those series, but the franchise in general isn't successful enough to keep Bandai's doors open :< It looks like Japan is over it.

Saffire wrote:
FigNewton wrote:
I recall, but cannot find, a report from a recent convention this year, I think from a Sunrise panel, that if more Gundam were to be released here, it would be under an Aniplex like model. Maybe someone else can help out with the reference but my lunch break is nearly over and I'm out of time to search. So feel free to take my recollection with a grain of salt.
I don't have a hard source either, but I heard the same thing on the Anime World Order podcast.

This and Iyadomi-sans exit speech. Something to the extent of Japan being satisfied with the success of the Gundam UC model and wanting to proceed that way for future releases. With that said, I see no subtitle or English audio options for this BD box so maybe it was just a load of bullshit?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, another company willing to comply with Aniplex's horrible model? I want to know where in blazes this news came up, because if that's true then Japan has no idea how the market works here at all.

I just want a PROPER release of new Gundam series here. Nothing more, nothing less. All I want to do is watch Unicorn. I can't because A) the DVD release only covers so much and was canned because Bandai shut down and B) I don't own a Blu-ray player, don't see myself owning one in the near future and don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on the Blu-rays.

If they think an Aniplex-caliber "let's slap subs/maybe a dub on the Blu-rays and release it worldwide at the same price in very limited quantities and maybe people will buy it" strategy will work for Gundam, then I have one absolute answer: IT WON'T.

And if this applies to older series like G Gundam and Gundam Wing, both of which are EXTREMELY WELL KNOWN TOONAMI SHOWS, then people who want to view these shows without resorting to scalpers selling off the R1s for $400+ on eBay and Amazon will be screwed over.

Utterly despicable business practices. Just despicable.

Here's a hint, Sunrise and Bandai: Either let other, more CAPABLE R1 companies like Funimation or Sentai handle Gundam, or stick it up on streaming. Hell, G Gundam, 0079, Zeta and Wing are on Youtube, why not just shove the rest on there? Or Hulu?

This is why the anime market in the US is declining. This is EXACTLY WHY. Companies like Bandai/Sunrise and Aniplex don't understand there are people who casually watch shows and are not hardcore fans who buy anything with shiny boxes, artbooks, soundtrack CDs or what have you packed in with them. They want the show BECAUSE THEY WANT TO WATCH IT.

I don't care if I'm wrong on this, and this is "the right model" for shows like Gundam that have an established popularity here. To me it is the WRONG model. If we have to have a repeat of the godawfulness that was Bandai Visual USA here...oh wait, we already have and it's called Aniplex USA. "We know what anime fans want" my behind.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ugh, another company willing to comply with Aniplex's horrible model? I want to know where in blazes this news came up, because if that's true then Japan has no idea how the market works here at all.

It's not "willing to comply", and they do know how the market works. It's just more profitable for them to sell expensive sets to fewer people than vice-versa, and it does them the double duty of preventing their Japanese fans from importing American releases at 1/5th the cost, shipping and handling included. They know damn right what they're doing, they're protecting their primary audience's investments at the cost of neglecting the foreign supplementary market. All we ever were to them was a bump to their bottom line, and now they know that there are North Americans willing to spend $100 for a 12 episode series, or even $150+ for one, unsubbed.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

It's not "willing to comply", and they do know how the market works. It's just more profitable for them to sell expensive sets to fewer people than vice-versa, and it does them the double duty of preventing their Japanese fans from importing American releases at 1/5th the cost, shipping and handling included. They know damn right what they're doing, they're protecting their primary audience's investments at the cost of neglecting the foreign supplementary market. All we ever were to them was a bump to their bottom line, and now they know that there are North Americans willing to spend $100 for a 12 episode series, or even $150+ for one, unsubbed.

What about the people who want it dubbed? They spent thousands on dubbing Unicorn, only to have the whole series' release here get screwed over. We're never going to SEE a Gundam series dubbed again, are we?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

What about the people who want it dubbed? They spent thousands on dubbing Unicorn, only to have the whole series' release here get screwed over. We're never going to SEE a Gundam series dubbed again, are we?

I doubt Namco Bandai is worried about how much they spent dubbing the series. They have plenty of Japanese customers willing to buy and cover all production expenses.

Personally, I think Gundam Unicorn will be the LAST Gundam series to be English dubbed.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Personally, I think Gundam Unicorn will be the LAST Gundam series to be English dubbed.

By R1 dubbing groups, maybe.

You have to consider other places that air the show in Asia as well. AGE got a dub so.....
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I doubt Namco Bandai is worried about how much they spent dubbing the series. They have plenty of Japanese customers willing to buy and cover all production expenses.

So no new Gundam series will EVER get a dub. Just bloody great. Gundam is now headed towards Macross territory, where every future series STAYS IN JAPAN and the only way to watch it is either fansubs or importing.

I LIKED WHAT I SAW of the Unicorn dub, and the fact that it'll probably be the last Gundam dub ever is a travesty.

Screw Bandai. This is the most upsetting news since they bowed out. First they start pulling DVD releases of pretty much every single Gundam series OOP, now Japan is basically blocking us from EVER SEEING IT AGAIN. I hope to god they wise the crap up and realize there are people who do not want to pay scalper prices for G Gundam or Wing. Hell, I won't be surprised if they don't let Outlaw Star, Bebop, Big O, ANY OTHER BANDAI SERIES get rescued all because they think they can release it here for a quick buck off of people who can afford those series.

I'm angry. Angry at Bandai, Sunrise, Aniplex, everyone who thinks this stupid idea is how to market series here.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

So no new Gundam series will EVER get a dub. Just bloody great. Gundam is now headed towards Macross territory, where every future series STAYS IN JAPAN and the only way to watch it is either fansubs or importing.

I LIKED WHAT I SAW of the Unicorn dub, and the fact that it'll probably be the last Gundam dub ever is a travesty.

Screw Bandai. This is the most upsetting news since they bowed out. First they start pulling DVD releases of pretty much every single Gundam series OOP, now Japan is basically blocking us from EVER SEEING IT AGAIN. I hope to god they wise the crap up and realize there are people who do not want to pay scalper prices for G Gundam or Wing. Hell, I won't be surprised if they don't let Outlaw Star, Bebop, Big O, ANY OTHER BANDAI SERIES get rescued all because they think they can release it here for a quick buck off of people who can afford those series.

I'm angry. Angry at Bandai, Sunrise, Aniplex, everyone who thinks this stupid idea is how to market series here.

I think Gundam Unicorn will be the last Gundam series to be English dubbed, but it is not the end of the world if they at least offer English subtitles. This will most likely be in the form of imports, but it is better than nothing.

And we can complain all we want to Japanese companies about not offering affordable ($50 per series) and timely releases, but they do not give much of a fudge about a supplementary market like R1.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

They have wised up, I think, when they realized there are North Americans who will fork over Japanese prices for some anime. Granted there's not many of them, but enough to make a decent enough profit off of without risking possible reverse importation. On Cowboy Bebop, I can't see how they'll let that get a BD out here for anything less than $200, at least not for many years to come.

As the physical disc market inevitably marches toward BluRay, the era of cheap and available anime titles will probably close. Maybe it'll continue on through DVD in small numbers, but BD will dominate. Yeah, it won't occur next year or maybe even the year after that, but affordable and good BD players and HDTVs will only become more available. Some anime releases in Japan have already seen a cessation of the DVD option, BD only.

From a pure business viewpoint as the Japanese producers, I'd want to control the global product as far as Region A BluRays are concerned. I'd definitely strive to include English subtitles, and possibly dubs if they exist on my Japanese product so its potential for sales will extend to North America; those extra sales would cover the cost of doing so. Or if I did license out, dictate that the prices be kept high enough so no otaku get any wise ideas about reverse importing, can't have that happening.

You know, all of this would have happened with DVD if North America and Japan shared the same region. Look at today, look at France. They're in another BD region, so they get to enjoy massively cheap and abundant releases that exert no fears on the Japanese companies, otaku will not be bothering to obtain them. My guess is lack of information on region free DVD players, and lack of communication on the net made it less likely for reverse imports to occur, aside from hentai.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I think Gundam Unicorn will be the last Gundam series to be English dubbed, but it is not the end of the world if they at least offer English subtitles. This will most likely be in the form of imports, but it is better than nothing.

And we can complain all we want to Japanese companies about not offering affordable ($50 per series) and timely releases, but they do not give much of a fudge about a supplementary market like R1.

I'm assuming you didn't see my post?

Age has a dub. AGE!

I doubt they'll let the series go undubbed. It's such a money maker in other markets. For all we know, it might be the end of the franchise getting dubbed in North America, sure. I doubt they'll let it go undubbed though.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They have wised up, I think, when they realized there are North Americans who will fork over Japanese prices for some anime. Granted there's not many of them, but enough to make a decent enough profit off of without risking possible reverse importation. On Cowboy Bebop, I can't see how they'll let that get a BD out here for anything less than $200, at least not for many years to come.

Could they even translate the tired repetitive pointless airings on [adult swim] into selling profit with a high price point? Note that other [adult swim] shows sell for the comparable TV season episode box set prices. For them to sell CB at a price point above even $100 in North America is selling suicide.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I'm assuming you didn't see my post?

Age has a dub. AGE!

I doubt they'll let the series go undubbed. It's such a money maker in other markets. For all we know, it might be the end of the franchise getting dubbed in North America, sure. I doubt they'll let it go undubbed though.

I did read your post. So AGE has an English dub? If you are referring that AGE will be dubbed for other, non R1, markets, I did not know it.

I heard that AGE was English subtitled, but I do not know anything about English dubbing plans for R1.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I was never a really big fan of 08th MS team but my condolences for those who are, with that said all I can say is this. folks lets face it gundam animes in general are dead in the US even if Aniplex US rescues it not everyone can afford some of their prices. so frankly lets face it (for those who think of other things then anime sets) there probably won't be an Affordable option for fans in the US to get the rest of Unicorn or even see AGE. as for those who feel it's ok to throw away hundreds of dollars for a set with a bunch of stuff that doesn't really rationalize the price whatever
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
FigNewton wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Someone for the love of god rescue the Gundam series here so we can have this.

Pretty sure there will be no traditional domestic rescue for Gundam. Looks like we are most likely stuck with the "official import" model.

There HAS to be a way to get it rescued. 08th MS Team is a well known Gundam series, as are G Gundam and Wing, and they deserve to be rereleased here. Sunrise is a bunch of idiots that don't know what they're doing, and they need to be convinced that not every person in the US can afford to "just import" their releases like Unicorn. I think it'll be a matter of time before someone can get a hold of Gundam here, it's just the fact that they have no idea how to market it overseas.

Idiots? No sane business is going to give license to their best- selling brand at dirt cheap price just because handful of fans want them. It's like asking Ferrari to sell their niche sports cars at Toyota price. If anime XYZ sells hundreds of thousand copies, then they might reconsider marketing to the US. However, that has not happened yet and I wouldn't put high hope.

Besides, I think US branch didn't make much money when they were selling Gundam DVD set at $30 each. Japan is more interested in market in China where it can have better foothold for brand establishment (super important) and 4 times more buying demographic than the US.

For 08th MS team, they already spent lot of money producing new animation, so there is no way they're going to sell shiny BD for dirt cheap price for niche fans in the US.

Instead of wasting money on collecting cheap DVD out of impulse, which many of us do, I'm going to save my money for anime BD title where my heart is. I'm going to wait for Gundam 0083 where my first love for Gundam lies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3