• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cencoroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Mr. Sevakis and lots of fans are just reacting (justifiably) to the fact that most unoriginal stuff seems to be the most popular (and sell the most merchandise), while the original stuff gets ignored and unlicensed. There's still plenty of great, original anime out there today, it's just lost in the sea of fans who keep buying series that are merely retreads of tired tropes and scenarios.

This is true of any genre in entertainment and art, not just anime. It just seems like they're less because for the last couple of years almost anything got licensed. I'm still waiting for a R1 release of Angel's Egg, and I doubt I'll ever get it because I seem to be the only person over here who can happily sit through it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This is true of any genre in entertainment and art, not just anime.

After the summer that nearly saw Transformers 2 break The Dark Knight's record, truer words were never spoken. The success of Dan Brown thoroughly establishes that too.

Quote:
It just seems like they're less because for the last couple of years almost anything got licensed.

Well, you know, except for Kaiba and Mononoke and a host of other great shows.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a R1 release of Angel's Egg, and I doubt I'll ever get it because I seem to be the only person over here who can happily sit through it.

Watched it, liked it, didn't love it, but it was definitely intelligent and thought-provoking. Stuff blowing up and boob jokes can be fun, but it's nice to be challenged by a writer or director who treat his/her audience like grown-ups. Smile
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm still waiting for a R1 release of Angel's Egg, and I doubt I'll ever get it because I seem to be the only person over here who can happily sit through it.

Would show up naked to the store with a 50 hangin' from my coin purse.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been interested in this ever since the first previews came out. Then sometime later I found out it was only 30 minutes and I was shocked. The story looked so interesting (I'm sure it still is), and the animation was refreshing, you would think they could have given more its due. Still want to see it though. Did Justin mean do well on Japanese DVD? Because even the encyclopedia says it's unlicensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
Eh? I have to join in with the people with the disagreement with the statement that anime has been going downhill in the past decade. If anything, nothing really changed: most anime is mediocre, a few are extraordinary and the rest crap. People really need to take off their nostalgia glasses because it is really affecting their judgement and I say this being an anime fan for 13 years and being brought up on 80's and 90's anime (which a majority wasn't all that great once I rewatch it again).

Eh, you may be right about the 80's and early 90's. However, you can't deny that there was a massive boom in the industry from the late 90's to the mid 00's. Certainly there was plenty of garbage still produced. However, there was just so much more money available that we also saw a huge amount of creative, experimental works and a lot more big budget projects than other times. In fact, even the more bland stuff had a tendency to be a bit better because of this.

Now however, the industry in both countries is in shambles. Anime has become extremely niche in Japan and has lost it's novelty in America. Even worse is the added effects of the various economic concerns we are facing. The money just isn't there any more and as such, unless something is super cheap or can be pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit, it will rarely happen. This means that on average we see vastly more paint by numbers cash in shows and vastly fewer notable works. Furthermore, we see less anime produced overall. I don't see how anyone can deny that this has impacted the both the average and the overall amount of quality in anime rather drastically. Admittedly it's not as significant a difference when compared to the pre-boom era. However, I don't think anime point in anime history can compare to the crunch we're in at the moment.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
it's just lost in the sea of fans who keep buying series that are merely retreads of tired tropes and scenarios.

Part of the reason for this is that there are new Anime fans popping up all the time so old tropes and conventions are new and fresh for them.

As other people have discussed, just about every industry recycles itself every decade (look at Marvel or DC comics or Hollywood). But within all that you'll always find something really interesting and unique and fresh, you just have to dig for it sometimes (which is not with internet access).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
it's just lost in the sea of fans who keep buying series that are merely retreads of tired tropes and scenarios.

Part of the reason for this is that there are new Anime fans popping up all the time so old tropes and conventions are new and fresh for them.

...and old series can be hard to find and to sift through as well. Keep writing Buried Treasure, Justin, it's a much-need aid to newer fans!
nechronius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Cencoroll sound vaguely like elements of Shadowstar Narutaru...

Truly original material will be really hard to come by. The most original show I've seen in recent memory is probably Eve No Jikan and even that's just a slightly fresh take on the "becoming self aware" theme.

Why do the same old themes and memes do so well over and over? Because they're the equivalent of animated pop music. It appeals to the largest possible audience of course.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Is it just me or does Cencoroll sound vaguely like elements of Shadowstar Narutaru...
Perhaps so, in a sense that the protagonists were given a power that can change the world. Before they realize the responsibility of the adults, who have to deal with a world that runs on a system powered by men.
brettlv5506

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone so surprised it is only thirty minutes long? It is an independent animation done by just one guy. Also, I see in the review that there is a sub version. Is the sub version available to purchase anywhere or are we going to have to wait until it gets licensed or a fansub group does it?
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

Yeah this review reminded me of that anime/manga as well. Which was a very good title (highly recommend the anime, which got a great release by CPM, the manga was sadly terribly treated and then later dropped by Dark Horse so...mileage may vary on that one). That makes me want to see this all the more. I hope someone releases it in the states now, since it's getting some press. Nice review Justin.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
brettlv5506 wrote:
Why is everyone so surprised it is only thirty minutes long? It is an independent animation done by just one guy.

But the thing is that he worked on it for 2 years almost. I think a lot of people find it hard to believe he would be satisfied working that long on a project, only to have it run for 30 minutes. Even with a one man team, to work on it so long by yourself, you would have expected the least being a 45 - 52 minute story which is about equal to a TV 1-hour special once you remove commericals; just to vindicate yourself for having it suck so much of your life. But that's just me I guess. It doesn't mean its not good (haven't seen it), but it definitely brings up the "what it might have been" from time to time.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
As I already noted, I wish it were longer too.

But to be fair, Shinkai's Voices of a Distant Star was only 25 minutes as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I had to pass up the 'Cencoroll' flick. Long line and had to get home and come back the next day. I was already burning out. Two hours home and have to get up two hours early.

Has there been any word on who will be picking this up?
cosmo773

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
This show is the definition of "anti-climatic"! I just bought the DVD (BOX SET with the making of features which is really nice!) and I LOVE IT! It vaguely hints on a much larger and stranger world, yet that is all it does. It focuses mainly on the three characters and nothing else. No big scenes of crowds running in panic or the military getting ready to defend their city, that's just background noise.
If you are looking for action, like in the short that has been floating around, forget it! Just when you think "Oh boy, the shit's gonna hit the fan!", it doesn't! It keeps you on the edge of your seat with anticipation and never delivers! YOU'LL LOVE IT! Not one show has ever frustrated, yet satisfied me more, like this one! I hope there is more. There is so much to explore in their world, but if there isn't, this is a great ride that gets your imagination whirling!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3