• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Is the X OVA they're talking about that "episode 0" thing that was in the Geneon release?

Mohawk52 wrote:
Thank the lord someone will finally put the bullet to DJ Milky's abomination. Wink

Just think; one day it will be a Dub That Time Forgot.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Now, what about CCS? I'm pretty sure that would have been more in demand, of course there may be licensing issues if I recall...

Possibly, but also it was originally sub-only; FUNimation would have to dub the whole thing.
Electrastar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll almost have to watch FMA brotherhood dubbed because I hate all the changes they did to the Japanese cast...I really dislike Mustang's new VA...I did like his English one to a certain extent, so I just might watch t his one dubbed, even if I think it's kinda weird for a 40 year old man to be dubbing a 15 year old boy, but that is just my opinion.
joystick1101

wonder if they'll give Luci Christian and Monica Rial the 2 new female characters since their old roles don't exist in Brotherhood?
walw6pK4Alo

Redubbing Initial D? Did it even sell that well to begin with? I really think FUNi is biting off more than they can chew.
Electrastar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll almost have to watch FMA brotherhood dubbed because I hate all the changes they did to the Japanese cast...I really dislike Mustang's new VA...I did like his English one to a certain extent, so I just might watch t his one dubbed, even if I think it's kinda weird for a 40 year old man to be dubbing a 15 year old boy, but that is just my opinion.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Aww... Aaron Dismuke doesn't repraise Alphonse. Of course that makes sense with puberty and all. But he was a great Alphonse and will be missed as Alphonse. But hmm... a later major character ehh? Probably that spoiler[Chinese guy] / *Warning. Manga Spoiler* spoiler[new Envy. Is it Envy? I think its Envy]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I feel late to the party for not realizing Scar had a new VA in the works after the series and Shamballa movie(maybe because I didn't see them). Did Dameon Clarke get too big-headed in Hollywood to come back to FMA? I loved his Scar, and it's a shame Dameon ain't returning to the role.

It may not be that he's bigheaded, it may be just a location issue. If Scar is going to have a lot of lines, he can't fly in to record all the time. It makes sense to me, although it stinks. He was a good Scar.

And Aaron was a terrific Alphonse, but I am INCREDIBLY relieved that he was recast, because it's obvious he can't perform the role anymore. You could hear the difference in his cracking voice as early as the movie, never mind the cutesy OVAs where you can hear the guillotine crashing down. Oh well, we'll always remember his adorable voice! Anime smile

Quote:
I'm curious about the new Alphonse Elric voice for FMA: Brotherhood. I really liked Aaron Dismuke in that role, so Maxey's got something to live up to.

Have you heard her roles? O_o She sounds a LOT like Aaron. If you check out some episodes of Baccano!, she's Czeslaw, and that sounds a whole lot like Alphonse already. She plays little boy voices better than anyone I've heard prior, even Mona Marshall.

Ah, all these rereleases and redubs. I freaking LOVE Funimation. They've always been my favorite licensor and now with all the streaming titles, rereleases in affordable thinpaks, the list goes on and on...dang, they rock. Anime hyper [/hopeless fangirl...]
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
4th stage = sold. It's hands down the best of them. I've been waiting for it to be released here. I've had the fansub for years and I'm getting sick of not having it in my real collection.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I seriously hope Initial D won't cost FUNi too much to dub. It hardly seems the type to attract many buyers.

X will probably have more buyers, but it wasn't really one of those series that's hard to get (RightStuf has the whole series for $40 in the Bargain Bin IIRC). The more niche series need to get rescued too already. If FUNi can blow tons of money on Initial D, surely they can pick up niche series like Lain, Texhnolyze, and Haibane Renmei?

I was impressed by Csez's voice in Baccano, so I'm sure Maxey will do a good job as Al.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
wish they would have re-casted Arron Dismuke as Al. Well let's hope his new actor will beable to protre Al the same way Arron did. Arron is still leader of the Armor Army, so Al's new actor better not become leader of the fan club.

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Is it too late for them to decide not to dub FMA: Brotherhood?
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil (Die, Brotherhood, die!) Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Oh well, I can dream, can't I? (and wake up from the nightmare that BONES is remaking FMA)
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
oops, double post

Last edited by Amethyst Alchemist on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I feel late to the party for not realizing Scar had a new VA in the works after the series and Shamballa movie(maybe because I didn't see them). Did Dameon Clarke get too big-headed in Hollywood to come back to FMA? I loved his Scar, and it's a shame Dameon ain't returning to the role.

It may not be that he's bigheaded, it may be just a location issue. If Scar is going to have a lot of lines, he can't fly in to record all the time. It makes sense to me, although it stinks. He was a good Scar.

Surely he could do whatever Laura Bailey and Vic Mignogna have been doing. Both of them have been doing LA dubs as of late(both have showed up on Code Geass and Bleach), but still doing Texas work(One Piece most notably). It's just a shame to be losing the original Scar VA. Has anyone seen the new Scar VA on One Piece to get a good judge for his voice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
WoW Initial D redub? Nice. I always wanted to check that title out. Was ganna buy it when Funimation was doing Distro for Tokyopop, but never got around to it (although I did get GTO Razz) . Wonder why they are re-dubing an older show? Even if Initial D's dub was not the greatest, and had the original music replaced, I'm still surprised by that. They must have faith it will sell well I guess? Even Love Hina didn't get a ru-dub, and that's a proven seller. Initial D never sold that good did it? Oh well looking forward to this now. Not interested in anything by Clamp or anything FMA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8