• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy Classic with Rob Bricken - The Crescendolls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I have not heard of this show 'till now. The only thing that is really bugging me though is that these figures for me seem to look like an anime version of the smurfs. Think about it. Not trying to bash but that is the first thing that pop into my head when I saw this figures.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
but there doesn't seem to be a point in me getting all up and arms about em unless I'm a DP fan.

I'm all for collectibles and retro sexiness, but I can't dish out a hundred bucks for a Daft Punk product... -_-;;

Why do you seem to have some horrible aversion to Daft Punk? These are hardly a "Daft Punk product" as they're based on the anime designs, and while the anime wouldn't exist without DP, the characters themselves have little to do with them. It's a great feature. Unless their music makes your ears bleed, give Interstella 5555 a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Quote:
...I unfortunately have to move Astro Toy back to a bi-monthly schedule.

Man, did this ever scare me. Going by the rest of the paragraph, I'm assuming that you really meant bi-weekly.

No, bi-monthly means twice a month. Hence why he said things like "unfortunately" and that he'd rather do a good column every other week than rush out one every week. Bi-weekly is twice a week.
rekishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
THANK YOU ROB!

(i'll explain)

2 years ago...a mate of mine once came round with a then unknown anime for me to watch one day. he told me just to watch it, and not worry about there not being any words. i thought "what ever, i'm up for anything"...

60 minutes later i was rushing out the door to go buy Daft Punk's Discovery album (which is still on my iPod to this day) but i never asked him what the name of the DVD was...

and you just answered that burning question (that i really should have just asked my mate about, but it's all good)...

a quick check at Robert's Anime Corner store, and vuala! INTERSTELLA 5555 in stock! and in my shopping cart for my next order of anime DVDs from the states... i'll just have to make room for it on my top shelf now is all.

i'm not too fussed on the figures, they look cool enough... i guess... the paltry 6 figures i own wont really miss them though... doubly so because they're rare as hen's teeth... but to know the name of that DVD finally, has made my day.

thank you again b Anime smile d
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
yes, I have this DVD.
I made my anime club watch it last week.
Just as awesome as I remember it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
Interstellar 5555- the only anime I've seen being screened (albeit not in its entirety) on a music video channel.
Personally, as much as Matsumoto's visuals are certainly of ample quality, the production's appeal lies mostly in the soundtrack. I am thus not going to gloat about these figurines, but I can understand how those who've been following anime since the Yamato years would view them so nostalgically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
braves wrote:
Quote:
...I unfortunately have to move Astro Toy back to a bi-monthly schedule.

Man, did this ever scare me. Going by the rest of the paragraph, I'm assuming that you really meant bi-weekly.

No, bi-monthly means twice a month. Hence why he said things like "unfortunately" and that he'd rather do a good column every other week than rush out one every week. Bi-weekly is twice a week.

Nope. Bi-monthly means once every two months (and bi-weekly means every other week). Semi-monthly would be twice a month.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Actually Bi-monthly means both twice a month AND every two months. Such are the vagaries of the English language.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Actually Bi-monthly means both twice a month AND every two months. Such are the vagaries of the English language.

If Rob would just switch over to the more forthright "fortnightly" frequency, we could avoid this ambiguity.
liko-2000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime is a 60+ minute music video of the entire album. There's no dialogue whatsoever. The story, such as it is, is about a blue-skinned alien band which is kidnapped by an evil human music label executive who wipes their memories, disguises them as humans, releases their music on Earth in order to get 5,555 gold records… and thus rule the universe. If this isn't awesome to you, you can go.

Yeah...you have to overlook the plot a little. Even so, I'm quite proud to have the DVD. I can understand how it's not that well known. The only way I found out about it being a full movie was by doing a search about Daft Punk one lazy afternoon surfing the internet and stumbling across it.

I never knew that they had made figures until now. I'll never own them, but it's cool to know that they exist. Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I want these, I thank you greatly for at least the pictures of them! After the very first time I youtubed this movie, I immediately said "Shine get!" and got a copy of the DVD, and my only real complain with the DVD is that I have to display it upside down in order for it to look normal with the rest of my DVD spines because the words run from the bottom to the top! And the labyrinthy mess parts of the DVD menu, but whatever, go watch this all ye with an hour to kill!
errantrogue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
waaaait a minute... since when was the pilot Stella's ex? I've watched that thing more than a dozen times and I never saw anything they made me think they'd been past lovers... just that he was a big fan who DAYDREAMED of being with Stella.

in fact afaik, their only contact together was in the holodream sequence for Something About Us.
Doggie Kruger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
errantrogue wrote:
waaaait a minute... since when was the pilot Stella's ex? I've watched that thing more than a dozen times and I never saw anything they made me think they'd been past lovers... just that he was a big fan who DAYDREAMED of being with Stella.

in fact afaik, their only contact together was in the holodream sequence for Something About Us.

I think the same way, theres no indication that they even knew each other.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Doggie Kruger wrote:
errantrogue wrote:

I think the same way, theres no indication that they even knew each other.

That line also stood out for me. I don't remember ever hearing that but then again, I didn't pay too much attention to daft punk. I originally saw then cut up as music videos and it wasn't till the early days of youtube that I saw it in its entirety.

Never knew they had figures made, cool but would never own them myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
I disagree with Rob. I think there are more than 18 people reading (and enjoying) Astro Toy.
As for Daft Punk... not really my thing, but the video was interesting enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3