• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Mysterious Cities of Gold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowleaf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Of course, I agree with most of the people here on the qualities of the show. I was here, before "RécréA2" (the show for kids where this anime was aired in France for the first time) and enjoyed it more than once after that.

Now is the (theorically) good news, the MCoG have a sequel in work in porgress in France. Jean Chalpon, the original producer is back on tracks with the help of TF1 (1st french channel). For me, that TF1 is on the show is a bad thing, but I'll wait for the result. if you understand french, take a look at this site http://www.lescitesdor.com/ where you'll find some more infos on it
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
MCoG fans: I recommend also checking out Future Boy Conan.

(Edit: Come to think of it, I recommend it for non-MCoG fans, too.)

I ardently second that. Were it not for Miyazaki's mandate that none of his works be cut, Disney would probably be releasing this already (there's a scene where a kid smokes that they'd probably like to get rid of, but couldn't).
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm not likely to watch this series if it's only available with a bad dub. I'd love to hear the French version for a comparison, but I doubt that'll ever wind up on hulu. Sad

The French version is available on DVD in France and Canada. The Canadian release is a bit hard to find; but the version from France gets a reissue every 2 years or so.

As to the quality of the dubs. I can't comment on the English dub, because I haven't seen it; but the French one is surprisingly good, considering it dates back to 1983. While is doesn't compare to modern dubs, the majority of the performances are acceptable and there are only a few performances that are actually bad.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
MCoG fans: I recommend also checking out Future Boy Conan.

(Edit: Come to think of it, I recommend it for non-MCoG fans, too.)

I ardently second that. Were it not for Miyazaki's mandate that none of his works be cut, Disney would probably be releasing this already (there's a scene where a kid smokes that they'd probably like to get rid of, but couldn't).

Disney did re-release Pinocchio recently (and that last act is filled with smoking kids) and they just put up an anti smoking ad before the movie, not that we'll ever see Disney releasing Future Boy Conan, even with their new attitude toward the male teen demographic (with Disney X D, that same channel broadcasting Naturo Shippuden and them buying Marvel), heck I don't see them even moving with the catalog titles they got from Saban, and even if Justin doesn love his effort, this guy owns Univision -The Largest Spanish Language Network in the US.

Last edited by Vicserr on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Btw, Justin did you even *watch* the educational segments? Very Happy Because I didn't know "Japan" had so many ruins and peoples that look exactly like the ones you find in South America!

You took my "produced in Japan" bit too seriously. It was produced by Japanese producers, probably reaching into NHK's international documentary vault on multiple occasions. They probably shot a few new segments, and some of them are around Japan.

Quote:
Also, coming back to the dub a second, Justin probably was subconsciously turned off by the fact that the voice actors for the kids are clearly actual kids, not women trying to sound like kids.

No, the kids were just fine, and honestly better actors than half the adults in the dub.

What we're seeing here, ladies and gentleman, is nostalgia blowback, the same thing that happens when one criticizes anything Robotech. Some people are so blinded by love for a show plus nostalgia that they're simply incapable of admitting that it has faults.

It's a decent show. I can see how kids would like it. It was very good for its day. It's badly dated. If this dub came out today people would be enraged and there would be death threats, and the quality is such that no broadcaster would even touch it. Part of that is the era in which it was produced. It is not Jesus. Get over it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first 15 episodes on hulu. I am not someone who is watching it out of nostalgia, it aired well before I was even born and I didn't even get basic cable until late 2001. So far, I'm really enjoying it (although some lines in the script are a little strange and old sounding, as Justin mentioned "I am frightened" really does sound odd to me. It kind of reminds me of the time I went to a fast food place and asked for a Beverage and the employee looked at me like I just said something in a foreign language), but at the same time, my complaints really aren't keeping me from enjoying the show. At first the educational segments annoyed me, but after I watched maybe two of them, they kinda sucked me in in a strange way.

I am also someone born after Robotech aired and I watched that back in 2004, maybe 2005 and I very thoroughly enjoyed it (not that I don't think there are some problems with it). You are also talking to someone who has a Thunderbirds megaset on their DVD shelf, if MCoG is outdated (which I will honestly say that both it and Robotech's animation is outdated if you ask me), Thunderbirds was made with a style that they don't even use anymore (not counting Team America: World Police which was a parody of the style of Supermarionation). I dunno, maybe some things really do hold up pretty well despite age, some things like animation are likely to be kicked by the curb, but as long as story and characters are good, it can usually endure. Look at old , sprite based RPGs. They might not have the fancy CGI cutscenes or voice acting, but man, you can find Chrono Trigger fans who first played it on SNES and recent ones who have only played it on DS.

Actually, looking back at MCoG with nostalgia people vs non-nostalgia peoples makes me wonder how people will look back on Avatar: The Last Airbender in about 20 years or so. Or Reboot, as it was early CGI, that might prove interesting to see what people think in another 10 years or so (omg movie!! Hope that brings attention to Reboot again! I am getting off topic).
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

What we're seeing here, ladies and gentleman, is nostalgia blowback, the same thing that happens when one criticizes anything Robotech.

I don't get this. I know most of what I watched when I was a kid wasn't that great unless you're a little kid. I thought it was the best thing in the world when I was a growing up though. That's why I try and keep away from anything that I watched when I was a kid now. If I watch something from the same time period as my childhood that I didn't watch when I was a kid I can enjoy it to a certain extent, but things that I already watched generally get ruined for me when I watch them as an adult. Razz
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I never really got to see this show much as a kid. It aired on Nick Junior, the name of the programming block Nickelodeon had during the day while most kids are at school. So I never got to see things like this, Noozles, Maya the Bee, and the various other properties that I now know were anime that dominated the block unless there was a holiday or I was sick. (That said, the theme song to The Adventures of the Little Koala is permanently stuck in my head all the same. AND NOW IT'S STUCK IN YOURS. GO WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE NOW! THIS...I COMMAND!)

So I never really had a great deal of nostalgia for the series, other than thinking "this is pretty cool" due to its visual style. For what it's worth, I actually went back and watched The Mysterious Cities of Gold a few years ago for the first time in full, and it was not a case like what happened to me when I went back and rewatched Thundercats only to realize "my God, this show is AWFUL! Why didn't I just let it stay a childhood memory?!" I would classify this as "a good show." At the same time, it's very much a product of its time and much of what it did that was unique back then is nothing special nowadays.

This was the first cartoon I ever saw to feature a continuing, serialized storyline. I never saw Robotech until the 90s, so my childhood was one built on things like He-Man (EDIT: the Internet informs me that some of the BGM tracks from MCoG were reused for He-Man!), Transformers, Dangermouse, M.A.S.K. (which I later learned had Shinji Aramaki mecha designs, just like Transformers!), Inspector Gadget, and all that stuff. None of these shows had any sort of ongoing narrative because I guess that limits your syndication options if you have to show episodes in a set order. Also, if you missed episodes--as I would since I was never home to see it and VCRs weren't widespread--you'd be kind of lost aside from a general "well, they're on a quest to find the treasure." But as any One Piece fan will attest, that overarching greater goal is often not immediately relevant to the situation and characters at hand.

It was also the only cartoon I ever watched where people said "damn" and "hell" and they acknowledged matters such as death, so it was a little bit more "mature" than other shows of the time. I will grant that the story does sort of take a nose dive near the end spoiler[which involves space aliens more or less out of nowhere, and ultimately they only end up finding one of the cities of gold]. But while it certainly has its faults (I recall the decision to have the one guy stutter his every line in the US dub to be particularly irritating), I don't think they're quite as bad as Justin's making them out to be. I would not object to showing this series to young children now in 2009.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raz_G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Disney did re-release Pinocchio recently (and that last act is filled with smoking kids) and they just put up an anti smoking ad before the movie, not that we'll ever see Disney releasing Future Boy Conan, even with their new attitude toward the male teen demographic (with Disney Anime hyper, that same channel broadcasting Naturo Shippuden and them buying Marvel), heck I don't see them even moving with the catalog titles they got from Saban, and even if Justing doesn love his effort, this guy own Univision -The Largest Spanish Language Network in the US.

I think the "blame Disney for everything that's wrong with the world today" attitude is really inappropriate here. Disney won't distribute Conan because above all, Conan is not a Ghibli product, and their deal is with Ghibli.

Other than that, I can totally understand why they won't jump on the opportunity to purchase a 26-episodes show originally broadcasted in 1978 (!) that has no fanbase of any kind in the US, because unlike Mysterious Cities of Gold, it was never broadcasted in America (in an English dub, at least). Yes, it has the Miyazaki label on it, but will it be enough to justify purchasing the rights and then go through translation and dubbing? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Conan, but I can see why a big studio like Disney will consider it too niche.

And I know that American anime distributors have checked the possibility of purchasing and distributing Conan in the US, and all backed because the price was just too high for them. There are many-many other anime (and animation in general!) classics that are still unavailable for home-viewing in the US, because the market for them isn't considered big enough. All this is hardly Disney's fault.

Speaking of Mysterious Cities of Gold, I remember watching it as a kid in my home country, at first being very upset that it took over the timeslot of "The Transformers", but quickly falling in love with the show. We were lucky enough to get it in the original French dub (I, too, was exposed to the English dub years later, and was very, very unimpressed).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could almost feel the brown, Berber carpeting of an elementary school library, and see the pink-tinted glasses of the librarian as she hung a "READ" poster featuring Judge Reinhold in a wacky pose

Seriously Justin, what? Anime hyper

Well all things considered, I did see very little of the French version when I was on vacation in Istanbul a few years ago (they had a network that plays old anime nonstop from morning till midnight). I watched it without much opinion (neither positive or negative) just to remind me of those blissful days of being a kid and watching shows that are silly by today's standards. To think it was a piece of Buried Treasure makes me wonder if I should have watched the rest. There was also a kid Robin Hood anime if I recall correctly.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember a disturbingly large chunk of my time in the mid-1980s was taken up with watching European-produced, Japanese-animated cartoon epics (Mysterious Cities of Gold; Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds; Ulysses 31; 80 Days Around the World) and Mysterious Cities of Gold was easily my favourite of them (Dogtanian came a close second).

I'll pick up the UK boxed set at some point but I'm in no rush - I got the Dogtanian set a while back and while the theme song certainly brought back some memories, it really hasn't aged well and I've no great desire to see my fond childhood memories of Mysterious Cities of Gold similarly battered as a result of re-watching the show through cynical adult eyes.
Memmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
But while it certainly has its faults (I recall the decision to have the one guy stutter his every line in the US dub to be particularly irritating), I don't think they're quite as bad as Justin's making them out to be. I would not object to showing this series to young children now in 2009.

Sadly, the guy stutter also in French. Maybe in the japanese dub it was the same, I don't know.

I didn't watch MCoG when I was young (except randomly one or two episode), But I did watch this four year ago (without fear to rape my childhood) and I can say :''it's a good anime''.

Yes some part are repetive/very bad: everytime they discover a temple, they make it crumble. Zia keep saying passively ''Oh Esteban! It's dangerous, dont do this''. Pedro and Sancho are annoying character, etc.

Except these part, it's enjoyable. It's a journey in the ''past'' with spectacular instant (the flying fish!) and likable character. Maybe as a little girl, I could have fallen in love with Esteban.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I too remember this. It was one of the best reasons for watching the BBC after uni. Coincidently I only just finished watching the complete box set back in the spring, and unlike you Justine, I enjoyed the whole thing very much. I grew up with synthisized music since the 60's Moody Blues first used Dr. Robert Moog's synthisized organ. It was all the rage up until the 90's. and is sort of making a slight comeback today. And considering the technology of the day, the digital clean up has done it justice. The original looked like a film with opitical sound track transfered to 2" quad tape, hense the warbly sound quality, and wobbly vision.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Iritscen wrote:
Btw, Justin did you even *watch* the educational segments? Very Happy Because I didn't know "Japan" had so many ruins and peoples that look exactly like the ones you find in South America!

You took my "produced in Japan" bit too seriously. It was produced by Japanese producers, probably reaching into NHK's international documentary vault on multiple occasions. They probably shot a few new segments, and some of them are around Japan.

Quote:
Also, coming back to the dub a second, Justin probably was subconsciously turned off by the fact that the voice actors for the kids are clearly actual kids, not women trying to sound like kids.

No, the kids were just fine, and honestly better actors than half the adults in the dub.

What we're seeing here, ladies and gentleman, is nostalgia blowback, the same thing that happens when one criticizes anything Robotech. Some people are so blinded by love for a show plus nostalgia that they're simply incapable of admitting that it has faults.

It's a decent show. I can see how kids would like it. It was very good for its day. It's badly dated. If this dub came out today people would be enraged and there would be death threats, and the quality is such that no broadcaster would even touch it. Part of that is the era in which it was produced. It is not Jesus. Get over it.

From my point of view, it didn't look like they were clamoring for your head or anything, Justin. I don't see the point in berating them as if they did. If someone has a difference in opinion, it should be just that. No need to tell people to "get over it". It didn't seem that serious to begin with, just that they disagreed with your point of view.

Anyway, all things considered, I'd love to see this again. I haven't seen it since it stopped airing on Nickelodeon when I was just a kid. Are the DVD's readily available? I seem to have no luck finding anything that's not a major release. All in all, good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why this show slipped past me as a kid. Is it possible that I did watch it, but forgot about it? I'm only recently remembering shows like Maya the Bee, The Noozles, and The Litl' Bits, all which aired on Nickelodeon, but I can't recall this one at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5