• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crackle Streams Valkyria Chronicles TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
About time, so Crackle is streaming this, and Crackle is owned by Sony, so I take it that Aniplex USA has the US license (Aniplex is owned by Sony)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
About time, so Crackle is streaming this, and Crackle is owned by Sony, so I take it that Aniplex USA has the US license (Aniplex is owned by Sony)?

Aniplex of America is a subsidiary of Aniplex (of Japan), which is wholly owned by Sony.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Crackle needs to develop a desktop application like Hulu has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Sony Pictures says hi! Rolling Eyes
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Aniplex of America is a subsidiary of Aniplex (of Japan), which is wholly owned by Sony.

Yes but my question, does this mean Aniplex of America has US license to Valkyria Chronicles, because that what it look like to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Oh ho I'm glad someone agrees that VC should be licensed/dubbed, it's been more than 3 years since it aired, and take a look at how fast the video game got localized. It was long but it was worth the wait, although it's a bit sad that it was unnoticed for years.

For most series based on video game, they were mediocre but this one turned out pretty well.

Cool, I thought this looked pretty good and they did a real nice job capturing the visuals and loved the game so I'll be watching these, still hoping we might eventually get some BDs for this show, preferably dual-audio with the awesome dub cast from the game, even though it's way overdue, plus the first game did quite well here so I think the anime would be worth bringing over.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
I see where you or others may be going with this, but it's the type of mindset which invites a poor adaptation and is likely to have the viewer just the whole franchise on it or otherwise think "Why wasn't this element made clear?" when it is a game mechanic or alluded to in a way players would understand.

I do understand what you're getting at here, and this has been an issue with some other adaptations. (It's been a frequent complaint point in the Sword Art Online and Fate/Stay Night adaptations, for instance.) However, I don't recall that ever being more than a very minor issue with VC, and I just went back and reviewed some of my comments in the series discussion thread to confirm that since it's been probably three years since I last watched any of it. There were one or two significant details at the end that I thought weren't adequately explained by the series (such as spoiler[going into more detail about the Valkyria development program], for instance), but I never got a clear sense of whether those issues were elaborated on in the game, either, and I rarely felt that anything much was missing during the series' run. Most who had played the game who were commenting as the series progressed gave the anime adaptation a mix of good and bad marks as a representation of the game (i.e., it was an improvement in some aspects but deficient in others).

Anyway, I might take a shot at reviewing this once it's fully available streaming, since I'm not going to hold my breath on it getting released on DVD/BR. (They've had three years to do it and no one has touched it despite the game being available, after all.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The anime follows the game close as far as I could tell. I am very happy to see this released and only hope it means the others based on the same make it to crackle as well.

I really would have loved to see a second game made for the PS3 but the PSP stole that show.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I have been hearing a lot that the characters' personalities and their dynamics with each other are much different compared to the game, and that's one of the main reasons they didn't like the anime adaptation. For anyone who have dealt with both, do they help enhance the characters of the game or hinder them?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I have been hearing a lot that the characters' personalities and their dynamics with each other are much different compared to the game, and that's one of the main reasons they didn't like the anime adaptation. For anyone who have dealt with both, do they help enhance the characters of the game or hinder them?

Thats overstating the point. The anime just isn't as good as the game, for a multitude of reasons. No one aspect of the anime is significantly worse, but they all add up to a giant ball of "meh".
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

There were one or two significant details at the end that I thought weren't adequately explained by the series (such as spoiler[going into more detail about the Valkyria development program], for instance)

That's because that "significant detail" barely existed in the game. It was nothing more than spoiler[backstory for Selvaria to depict her meeting with Maximillian and her motivations for fighting (i.e. her unrequited love for him), and you never saw anything implying that there were other children being experimented on. In the game, Alicia and Selvaria didn't meet as children, and they never spoke on the battlefield - Alicia just completely overwhelmed Selvaria without a word being spoken (when she defeated Selvaria, Alicia wasn't even conscious and was moving in a trance-like state). It was just another unnecessary plot gimmick thrown in like the Welkin-Alicia-Faldio love triangle, which didn't exist in the game and didn't need to be in the anime]. The anime also completely ignored one of the game's notable plot points, that being spoiler[Faldio's motivation for shooting Alicia to awaken her Valkyria powers].
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yes but my question, does this mean Aniplex of America has US license to Valkyria Chronicles, because that what it look like to me.
No, Sony Pictures(Animax) is on the committee and they have North American rights.

Aniplex is a subsidiary of Sony Music Japan, which at one point in time was a joint venture for Sony Music(Japan) and Sony Pictures(Japan) but Sony Music bought out all the shares,and made them a consolidated subsidary, they are autonomous of the North American Sony Music, and Sony Pictures.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

No, Sony Pictures(Animax) is on the committee and they have North American rights.

Aniplex is a subsidiary of Sony Music Japan, which at one point in time was a joint venture for Sony Music(Japan) and Sony Pictures(Japan) but Sony Music bought out all the shares,and made them a consolidated subsidary, they are autonomous of the North American Sony Music, and Sony Pictures.

So I guess we're going to see a DVD release in the future (and maybe English dub).
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Tratious wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

So I guess we're going to see a DVD release in the future (and maybe English dub).
English Dub maybe, DVD release I doubt it, they are just starting to release select Animax stuff on DVD like Viper's Creed and Ultraviolet, but those are just coming to DVD on Demand, not mass market releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2