• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! The Tryptophan Coma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Don't worry Brian, none of the "holidays" in our United States are actually "holy days" anymore. They're just excuses to get off from work and increase consumerism. At least the European countries are honest and just like taking vacation days.

I'd actually be interested in reading about the history of anime origins and the symbolism involved in any anime series. Although, I doubt I would find much with shows like Queen's Blade and Ikki Tousen being so popular.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I'd actually be interested in reading about the history of anime origins and the symbolism involved in any anime series. Although, I doubt I would find much with shows like Queen's Blade and Ikki Tousen being so popular.

Funny, last week's ANNcast dealt with reviews and led to discussions about critiques and analysis, so that topic is fresh. I don't know where to suggest looking online. Books are probably your best bet, though most talk about older series of course.

The Mechademia books, of which volume 4 was just released, are good for going somewhat deeply into certain shows and how they relate socially and politically to Japan--which is where much of the symbolism comes into play. The articles are mostly well-written and lead to good book references as well. There is a bit of anime/manga history, but a few books address that in more detail.
Dorian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Hey this was refreshing. No one ever answers the questions kids ask about anime when they are researching it for a class. The column was just the thing for after Thanksgiving, information leavened with humor. Thanks Brian!
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
I think the stories and symbolism in anime and manga are not unique to those genres, and most of the basic stories have been around for eons, across many cultures. Sailor Moon is a telling of the ages-old story of innocents involved in the battle of good against evil (neither of which is ever actually that well defined or distinct one from the other), a battle which good is ultimately doomed to loose, but which must be fought regardless. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, tells the same story, as does The Lord of the Rings and many other epic works.

Storytelling is one of the oldest human preoccupations, both for entertainment and for sharing beliefs.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
As simple as the question is, "Why was anime created?" is a good one. I would say that its inspiration was because cartoons existed before and they inspired Japanese cartooning, but there are so many reasons that can be given besides that.

This makes me want to read more books on the history of animation in Japan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This week's "Hey, Answerman!" totally fell flat. I don't need to read a "dumbed down" history of anime/storytelling or a "ha-ha-just-kidding! paragraph" about symbolism. Brian, you're better than this!
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
To create anime from scratch, we must first create the universe.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
There have been tons of historical retrospectives written about anime. Why should that question have be taken seriously? That kid needs to go do his own homework!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That kid needs to go do his own homework!

I know what this kid did. He/she was supposed to ask a primary/expert source about anime. As a teacher, I appreciate the fact that Brian responded. But how much do you want to bet the kid will simply cut and paste Brian's answer, ha-ha-symbolism-paragraph and all and submit it to his/her teacher? Meanwhile, the usual Answerman readers, who would normally expect this question to be filed under "Flake of the Week", are left a little disappointed.

Geez, maybe this is the most intellectual question you got this week Brian? If so, I forgive you, but still...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Just like this student, one guy one the internet should not be teaching you all about anime. Anyway, someone else is probably going to send in a similar anime 101 question. For me, I think it's pointless to ask that sort of question. Maybe Hey, Answerman needs an FAQ or a disclaimer.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
I think the stories and symbolism in anime and manga are not unique to those genres, and most of the basic stories have been around for eons, across many cultures. Sailor Moon is a telling of the ages-old story of innocents involved in the battle of good against evil (neither of which is ever actually that well defined or distinct one from the other), a battle which good is ultimately doomed to loose, but which must be fought regardless. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, tells the same story, as does The Lord of the Rings and many other epic works.

Storytelling is one of the oldest human preoccupations, both for entertainment and for sharing beliefs.

I don't consider Buffy the Vampire Slayer an epic work, it's just a cult series that people watched for sheer entertainment. And while Sailor Moon, The Lord of the Rings, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer all have the good vs. evil theme, they are not all the same as one another. Sailor Moon is basically an all-girl version of power-rangers, and the "evil" that they have to fight, is really weak, they win no matter what. It's not much of a struggle. A real good vs. evil would be if there is a huge struggle, and it is unknown which side will win. It was obvious in Sailor Moon which side was going to win. Plus with the whole "monster of the week" formula, I wouldn't call it epic at all. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was alot like a Marvel comic book, which is no surprise considering the creator based Buffy off Shadowcat. And then there is The Lord of the Rings which really is epic. It was unknown which side would win. It's interesting that in the end, the only reason why the side of good won was because Gollum and Frodo were fighting over The One Ring, after Gollum bit it off his finger, and they both fell off the cliff, the ring falling into the flames. Frodo never threw it in the fire. It fell in. If it hadn't fallen in, hell would've broken loose. I know that was a long-winded explanation, but I just wanted to point out that there is a difference between the good vs. evil themes, depending on what you are viewing. They are not always gonna be the exact same formula.
billborden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
I always love the "why was 'X' created" questions--particularly in the area of pop-entertainment; because so many people always look for a deep, driving answer, but it usually resolves down to "entertainment". People wanted to tell/show a good story and they wanted to do it in a medium that would produce a living for themselves. Whether you are talking about post Passion-play early Medieval English theater or modern Anime it really all boils down to someone wanted to entertain someone else, and they wanted to be able to buy dinner afterward. The deep artistic/symbolism bit usually come later.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
A sucky column. It was the standard troll - "please do my assignment for me by answering these boilerplate questions which I don't even understand" - and you fell for it.

Looking forward to the next "proper" column.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
How could it be considered "falling for it" if a) he pointed out it was a flake e-mail and b) he really didn't give an answer that's totally appropriate for doing a homework assignment?
stopher87

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Grats. That was the first answerman article I read in full since Zac stopped writing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3