• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds 3rd You're Under Arrest TV, Yozakura, Tayutama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody, I hate to be the one to correct you on this but Sentai Filmworks does not hold the license to You're Under Arrest Season 1.

From what I know, AnimEigo still retains the license to the first You're Under Arrest television series. If they had lost the rights to the license, they would have announced it on their own website to clear out what inventory stock they had left.

AnimEigo did this back a few years when they lost the license to Kimagure Orange Road. They announced it through their website and liquidated most of the stock they had left on the series before they lost the rights to sell the anime DVD's.

Sentai Filmworks only has the rights to You're Under Arrest Season 2 and You're Under Arrest Season 3.

While I'm glad that they're releasing it, I'm very disappointed that they aren't releasing this series in a bi-lingual format. I'm still boycotting these YUA releases because of that. This series deserved to have a special English dubbed release.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
dragonrider_cody, I hate to be the one to correct you on this but Sentai Filmworks does not hold the license to You're Under Arrest Season 1.

Cody is right. You're misunderstanding his phrasing. Cody means TV and digital rights (not TV series for DVD).

I reported it on my site some weeks ago that Anime Network, now a partner for Section23 Films and Sentai Filmworks has acquired You're Under Arrest Season 1 TV and Digital rights directly from Japan to supplement Sentai and Section 23's acquisitions in the franchise.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
They need to dub Yozakura Quartet and Tayutama
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

It's a phrasing misunderstanding, Cody means TV and digital rights (not TV series for DVD).

I reported it on my site some weeks ago that Anime Network, now a partner for Section23 Films and Sentai Filmworks has acquired You're Under Arrest Season 1 TV and Digital rights directly from Japan to supplement Sentai and Section 23's acquisitions in the franchise.

Guess, it's now time to cross out YUA 3 from my list of licensed Section23 would license.

I may add Kanamemo next.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Only if they "need" to lose money. I wonder how many times it needs to be explained that companies are NOT releasing sub-only releases because they hate dubs, hate fans, or don't know that dubbed releases would sell better. Dubs cost quite of bit of money to produce. That expense would likely be far more than increased sales from a sub/dub release of these rather low tier titles. Anime licensors would like to make money, not lose money. And now, watch as no one who needs to understand this actually does so.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Copy+Paste 1-liner generic response removed]
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

It would cost a fortune for them to do. Most R1 anime labels don't have the time or money to invest in dubbing titles that won't appeal to mainstream otaku. Funimation only dubs and licenses mostly mainstream material. Therefore they can dub thier releases. Section23 and others cannot.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miyuki is now fresh from forensics training in the United States.

I'd like to see THAT series.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Then the confusion is all mine. Next time, he needs to clarify that a little more.

Considering the fact that Sentai Filmworks, no matter how you dress the company up, is still ADV Films, which is now Section 23 Films, who still haven't created a website. (Sorry, but a domain name with a placeholder page that has said "coming soon" for several months does not make a website).

This is why I haven't bought a single DVD release from Sentai Filmworks. I don't buy subtitled-only releases. The way I figure it? Wjhy pay for something I can already get for free via fansubs and the fansubs are of better quality. If an anime company wants me to purchase their titles, then they need to offer an incentive to get me to buy their releases.

I don't buy subtitled only releases for this very reason. It's just an insult to injury. The anime customer needs an incentive to buy their product versus other alternatives. While this may seem wrong, that is just a fact of life. Anime fans will only support licensed releases if they are getting a bonus with that purchase. Most of those bonuses, before, came in the form of bi-lingual DVD's.

Unfortunately, I'll be sticking with my fansub DVD's of You're Under Arrest Season 2 and 3 and keep those together with the You're Under Arrest DVD Boxed Sets 1-4 that I purchased from AnimEigo.

I'm just disappointed in Sentai Filmworks. The last thing we needed was a wannabe anime company copying Media Blasters strategy. But, at least Media Blasters produces bi-lingual anime now.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, YUA season 3! I was supposed to pick up the first set of season 2 for my boyfriends Christmas present today, but instead got another box of anime instead. D'oh!
I have to say though, it's awesome that Sentai is going out of their way to obtain licenses for the second/third seasons of series, instead of just getting the first, and leaving us hanging. They did it with Clannad, and now with YUA, and honestly, it's great. Funny, for all the complaining about these companies releasing sub-only DVDs, I wish people would stop and realize that Rightstuf and Sentai are awesome for at least finishing the series they started. And, before you say it, I know, these shows are worthless sub-only, you won't buy them, they need dubs, the fansubs are free and better anyway (even though most of you can't speak Japanese well enough to tell), etc, etc;
Hey, Funi? It would be sweet if you could follow Sentai and Rightstuf's lead and finish off some of the shows you started. Perhaps Hellgirl, or Higurashi? I won't even ask for a nice box with singles (cause it'll never happen), any way you can release those two series would be very nicely appreciated.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is why I haven't bought a single DVD release from Sentai Filmworks. I don't buy subtitled-only releases. The way I figure it? Wjhy pay for something I can already get for free via fansubs and the fansubs are of better quality. If an anime company wants me to purchase their titles, then they need to offer an incentive to get me to buy their releases.
Then why do you buy dual-language DVDs when you can get dual-audio DVD-rips at the same quality for free? If you're not buying something because you can get it for free, you don't think the intrinsic product (the anime itself) is worth anything, no matter how you want to dress things up with talk about "incentive." And somehow, I doubt 480x360 DivX3 .avis (in the case of YUA Season 2) are "of better quality" than DVDs.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
This is exceptionally awesome news, for fans of Your Under Arrest. However, since the second season didn't have English audio, there is a chance the third and final(?) season of Your Under Arrest might not either.

I know the reasoning and all, but as a fan of this series(and the fact I've been waiting patiently for years for a release of a second season, third season) I really would have liked a English audio. But maybe, just maybe one day there will be a English audio for the second and possibily the third season.

This does make me quite happy though, at least the series had all the current seasons licensed. Now if only Hare And Guu were licensed, then another favorite series of mine would be completed. None the less, hope the sales for the second and third season of YUA do well.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Then the confusion is all mine. Next time, he needs to clarify that a little more.

Considering the fact that Sentai Filmworks, no matter how you dress the company up, is still ADV Films, which is now Section 23 Films, who still haven't created a website. (Sorry, but a domain name with a placeholder page that has said "coming soon" for several months does not make a website).

I don't buy subtitled only releases for this very reason. It's just an insult to injury. The anime customer needs an incentive to buy their product versus other alternatives. While this may seem wrong, that is just a fact of life. Anime fans will only support licensed releases if they are getting a bonus with that purchase. Most of those bonuses, before, came in the form of bi-lingual DVD's.

Unfortunately, I'll be sticking with my fansub DVD's of You're Under Arrest Season 2 and 3 and keep those together with the You're Under Arrest DVD Boxed Sets 1-4 that I purchased from AnimEigo.

I'm just disappointed in Sentai Filmworks. The last thing we needed was a wannabe anime company copying Media Blasters strategy. But, at least Media Blasters produces bi-lingual anime now.

Then your just wasting your time. What, do you think Section23 has the money and time to immediately dub all thier releases in just two months time? What about Bandai,Rightstuf,MB? They only dub one or two titles. Are you going continue to buy from them? They can't dub anything right now either.

I'm afraid your argument is baseless. You come across as a jaded ignorant cynic. You don't like Sentai because of thier quick sub-only releases,refuse to give them them benfit of the doubt that they eventually will go back and dub the titles if they make money, yet you illegally buy bootlegged fansubs.

You are a supporter of piracy. There's a difference between streaming fansub titles online and illegal bit torrenting and burning DVDs. Thereforth, your argument is full of hyperbole.

Go back and learn how the industry works. Keep it up and people like you will run MB into the ground.

ANIME PIRACY SUCKS!!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Then why do you buy dual-language DVDs when you can get dual-audio DVD-rips at the same quality for free? If you're not buying something because you can get it for free, you don't think the intrinsic product (the anime itself) is worth anything, no matter how you want to dress things up with talk about "incentive." And somehow, I doubt 480x360 DivX3 .avis (in the case of YUA Season 2) are "of better quality" than DVDs.

I've tried to make this point many times, but since you're pointing to a major flaw in their thinking, they won't even respond to it. Razz Not to mention, you can buy overseas bootlegs of every series offered in R1 for significantly less, and often gain better video quality and sometimes even more special features. Not to mention, virtually every series in North America is illegally uploaded to YouTube and various streaming and download sites with English dubs, and usually have better quality than the "official" streaming sites.

I watched a friends imported bootleg of bilingual Ghost Hunt, and it actually had significantly better video quality than the official Funimation release, despite having the same number of episodes per disc. It also had the official subtitles from Funimation's translation.

If you're not going to support a show because you enjoy, and are going to obtain it illegally, than you cannot consider yourself a fan of it. You are a thief, plan and simple.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
You're missing the point I'm trying to make.

First, you asked why I bother with bi-lingual anime. Let me respond by saying that there are certain anime that I can only watch subtitled. Bubblegum Crisis (the original eight episode OVA series), Madox-01, Riding Bean, Gunbuster (the original OVA series), You're Under Arrest (the original four episode OVA series, which is also identified as Episodes 1-4 of Season 1), Urusei Yatsura and a few others. This was simply because I first started collecting anime back when AnimEigo was the only company producing anime. It just didn't feel right watching it in English.

Secondly, over time, after I had stopped watching anime for the longest time, I got back into it when Oh My Goddess, the original OVA series was released via English dub and I came to appreciate the English cast for the series. Eventually, I would find the You're Under Arrest Television Series that AnimEigo would release and I came to appreciate the English dub and the series was the first time that anime critics praised the English dubbing cast for producing one of the best English anime dubs that had ever been produced. Matter of fact, I believe Anime News Network and Anime Nation.net's Ask John column talked up that the English dub was so great that Kodansha had decided to use the English dub for You're Under Arrest to train future Japanese seiyuu.

Since then, I have watched thousands upon thousands of hours of English dubbed anime and there have been a lot of anime that had been done right via English dubbing and considering that I watch anime at the same time I'm web surfing or editing my website, I mostly listen to the anime I watch while working on my computer.

The only thing I'm saying is that it probably is improbable for Sentai to commit to English dubs. However, Sentai was probably hopinig to cash in on the legions of anime fans you loved the first season and they probably could have stood to release You're Under Arrest with a bi-lingual track.

Because of the subtitled only release of YUA, Sentai Filmworks won't be catering the series to those anime fans who prefer the English dubbed version of the series. The problem with most everything that has been said in this topic is that everyone is confusing Sentai Filmworks as being a separate company when they really aren't. ADV created Sentai as an imprint to release subtitled only live action DVD's, much in the same way that AnimEigo got out of anime and concentrated on Samurai movies with only subtitled releases.

The thing of it that Sentai is ADV. It's not a separate company, despite ADV/Section 23 trying to convince everyone it is. Every imprint that ADV spun off is just the company trying to separate the various properties they have. Each company that ADV broke off from the core company just deals with a specific video genre. Sentai being dedicated toward subtitled-only releases, Section 23 re-releasing catalog titles that they still maintained as ADV and Swictblade dealing with Japanese Shock titles.

Even Right Stuf has tried this approach with releasing subtitled only anime and they aren't selling as many copies of their subtitled only anime as they did with their bi-lingual anime releases. Emma, Maria and many others, while those anime titles are selling, they aren't as well as their bi-lingual anime had been selling.

I just see anime fans reacting negatively toward the shift in the anime market on account of subtitled-only anime and it may have an unintended effect that anime distributors had not intended. I think what's going to happen is that anime is going to become an industry that only caters to hardcore anime fans who hate English dubbed anime. The same thing happened back in the mid-80's when the first anime was licensed from AnimEigo.

I remember those heated discussions and they angered a lot of people on both sides of the aisle. But, while I do understand the reasoning behind it as well as the economics, such companies like Bandai, Funimation, ADV and Geneon created a vast market for English dubbed anime and by shutting those anime fans out, they're only going to alienate those anime fans who are more likely to stop buying any future releases that they license for North America. I'm just disappointed that Sentai Filmworks didn't realize that there are a lot of YUA fans who wanted to see an English dubbed version of You're Under Arrest S2 and S3 and I believe that this was one particular title that they really should have considered dubbing into English. As it stands now, there are a lot of fans who are going to bypass YUA Season 2 and 3 because of the lack of an English dub. With 52 episodes of YUA in English form, they're more likely to just stick with that and keep with the fansubbed release of YUA S2 and 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7