• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
I know editors who will not hire writers who do not know the difference between "its" and "it's."

That would be all of them.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Didn't Puffy AmiYumi crack the top 40?

I assume you're referring to the U.S. charts?

I did a little research, and Billboard.com (the website for the Billboard music publication) has a page for Puffy AmiYumi. The only thing showing in their chart history is that the Splurge album peaked at #9 on the World Albums Chart on August 12, 2006.

http://www.billboard.com/artist/puffy-amiyumi/289665#/artist/puffy-amiyumi/289665
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Teahouse wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't mention the Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad soundtrack, as all the songs on that (except the Beat Crusaders opening) were redubbed very well in english.

Seconded! The songs were a big part of why I loved the dub for BECK so much. I was very glad the extras on the discs included "music videos"... Fun to hear the entire song.

I also have the Tenchi Muyo soundtrack with all the dubbed songs... I always respected them for redoing the entire song and not just the snippet used for the theme song.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DaisakuKusama wrote:
I know editors who will not hire writers who do not know the difference between "its" and "it's."

Let me put it this way: Don't submit writing samples with poor spelling, punctuation errors and grammatical mistakes, or you will not even be considered for the job you're submitting to. It always helps to have a second, third and fourth pair of eyes to proofread your writing. You'd be amazed at how many writers fail to do this. It was even mentioned in the ANN podcast some time ago.

"It's vs. its" happens to be one of the most common mistakes that I've heard editors actually lose their minds over. That one seems to especially get 'em riled up.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DaisakuKusama wrote:

Also important: there, their and they're

A writer must know the difference in usage. The most common mistakes I see involve those words (and than/then). Drives me nuts.

As for the Answerfans question, I'm not too wild about J-Pop, but then I don't really care for pop music in general. But there is one band that makes me bonkers, and that is the hyperactive hamsters on methamphetamine known as Ali Project.
larinon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
I did like those old Pioneer/Geneon redos of the Tenchi Muyo soundtracks.

I Am A Pioneer is now stuck in your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1oyDO3TB0

I'm hesitant to admit this, but 8 or 9 years ago I bought the CD that Pioneer released that had all those english Tenchi Muyo songs on it. Even though I used to really be into that dub, nowadays when I return to it I end up gnashing my teeth pretty quickly and have to switch over. The songs are still okay for the most part I guess, but they didn't really age well either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:

You'd be amazed at how many writers fail to do this.

No I would not as I am the guy who hires new writers for this website you are currently posting on which is one of the very few places that actually pays people to write about anime.

I am intimately familiar with how many writers fail to do this. My email inbox would make you weep sir.

Quote:

"It's vs. its" happens to be one of the most common mistakes that I've heard editors actually lose their minds over. That one seems to especially get 'em riled up.

I don't lose my mind over it, I just hit the delete key. I will not hire anyone who makes even one mistake like that in their submitted writing samples, period. There are countless people who want to write for us and the ones who get a chance aren't the sort of people who don't do a basic spellcheck.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

I thought it's a joke about the pronunciation of the word?

Quote:
The word Animu is a joke used to describe both Anime and Japanophiles who attempt to give Japanese sounding pronunciations to words that were not Japanese to begin with. It is not meant to describe any specific form of Anime.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=animu

Did you just use Urban Dictionary to prove your point? The same site that people are using to find definitions of their name and post them as their facebook status? When I search my name on Urban Dictionary I get this fantastic result:

"Jacob: A guy who is awesomely cool, and perfect in every way. Flowers bloom where he walks, and people pay him just to look at them."Hey, is that God's brother? Nope, it's Jacob."

Ok... now that I think about it, that is pretty spot-on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Yikes. I'm going to do an extra round of spell checking the next time I do something for ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

I don't lose my mind over it, I just hit the delete key. I will not hire anyone who makes even one mistake like that in their submitted writing samples, period. There are countless people who want to write for us and the ones who get a chance aren't the sort of people who don't do a basic spellcheck.

Darn right. I mean, I know Carl, Carlo, and Theron are very diligent gents, (and I like that I get to read all their stuff before or even if it doesn't get published!) and I...can't imagine watching three boxsets or so each week for a column like Bamboo and Erin. Phew. X_X

Personally, I wanted the position SO bad when I heard about it that I spent hours trying to figure out how do a striking writing sample (since I had no resume to grab attention...oops...Embarassed) then had to do all my writing in the lab down the hill on campus because my computer was broken...actually, all during the scouting process it was broken so I used the labs and other random computers to stay in contact and make editions on the samples which I just kept on a funny-lookin' external drive (all that was left of my old computer.) Then I finally submitted what I'd written only to look back at it and go "AAAAUGH, NO, COMMA SPLICE, I'M STUPID STUPID STUPID but I...can't yell that in a lab. Shocked"...but it turned out well!

Which...reminds me, I have another review to finish writing. GAH, I'm always behind. ;w;

But yeah, the only reason I was picked on is because, despite not having a resume, I DID have a resume. I had put myself out there in video format, kinda different, but I had a large body of "work" that had kinda become a roach on the forums that I was eventually told was against the rules but it was popular enough I wasn't going to be forced to take it down. (I did anyway because I didn't want to be an arrogant little bitch or anything who "gets to bend the rules.")

So being a prolific artisan, leaving your fingerprints anywhere you can, and only putting out your best are some of the best things you can do, for sure! Very Happy ...This isn't really related to writing specifically, but I've also found that ALL the opportunities I've achieved by a hair's margin have come from just "being there and being the best of yourself." Being persistent in the area that you want to achieve something in, meeting people, networking, showing an interest in them instead of dropping off a piece of paper and waiting by the phone at home...and when you MAKE an impression, be as courteous and professional as you can be. Prepare for a meeting enough that you can relax and improvise and just be you, but be impressive in how mature they think you are. Wink

That was a convoluted tangent, but I don't know, I'm always amazed at how much that has helped me...and when I do decide "screw it," well, that's when I find out later I missed out on meeting someone invaluable or, well...even get fired. Crying or Very sad (That is not fun. No it is not fun.)
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
If the dub song flows well with the music, I'm there. I love to sing along to the song, so I dig it. Japanese songs with Engrish lyrics get me to sing along, so I love that too. I would say maybe 80% if the conditions are met I'll prefer the English song the Japanese one.
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
My writings (and some drawings) are predominately in my organization's newsletter, in my college, high school, and middle schools' rinky dinky newspapers, and in editorials in my local newspaper....yay.... >__>

The sad thing is that I'm looking forward to the day I do years long research about socioeconomic issues and writing entries for journals and textbooks. I actually lost all interest in producing a manga or comic strip just because, uhm, I just did.

Is anyone else's pet peeve about folks who don't use commas in series of three or more words or ideas?

Example: "I love anime, manga, video games and Gackt!!!"

There seriously needs to be a comma after video games.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Love the English version of Yu Yu Hakusho intro....beyond that I never notice.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:
Didn't Puffy AmiYumi crack the top 40?

I assume you're referring to the U.S. charts?

I did a little research, and Billboard.com (the website for the Billboard music publication) has a page for Puffy AmiYumi. The only thing showing in their chart history is that the Splurge album peaked at #9 on the World Albums Chart on August 12, 2006.

http://www.billboard.com/artist/puffy-amiyumi/289665#/artist/puffy-amiyumi/289665

I do know a Japanese song that hit number 1 on the US charts- excactly one. 'Ue o Muite Aruko' (better known in the US as 'Sukiyaki') by Kyu Sakamoto took #1 on the billboard hot 100 chart for 3 weeks in June of 1963.

My mom has the 45 for it- it's a nice lil' ballad that has nothing to do with Sukiyaki (the name change was simply to pick a Japanese word Americans would know is Japanese, but be able to say.) The record is also a lovely lavender color, so it's always stuck out in my memory (not that I knew what it was until recently.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
So...the Japanese record companies are trying to replicate the success of Sukiyaki from over 40 years ago? If they haven't been able to get a bestselling album in that long, surely some of them would figure that their strategy to try to get a foothold in the Western market isn't working. Are the record executives THAT stubborn, thinking that putting their songs into anime intros will work outside of Japan just because it worked within Japan, despite there having never been a single instance of it happening?

Maybe this is simply seeing it from the perspective of a non-Japanese, but I'd think by now, it would be obvious to just let the anime openings go and try something else. Maybe direct marketing of their music, or putting it for sale on iTunes in the United States as a test.

Also, one thing I can hardly stand is someone who takes the "producer" status for a manga. In particular, I have Stan Lee in mind for Karakuridoji Ultimo. Hiroyuki Takei and his crew are doing all of the drawing and narrative; I get the impression that all Stan Lee has done is suggest the story premise and get credit and money as a co-author. I mean...he directly involves himself writing for Spider-Man, Iron Man and other famous creations of his. The least he can do is maintain contact with Takei and assist him. I don't know how common producers are for manga who take co-author credit like this, but I'm sure this isn't the first time it's happened.

I like Ultimo, but I feel Takei is the real and only author of the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5