• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kurt in Earnest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I just wanted to say that I found the blooper to be exceedingly amusing. Laughing

I hope more will be sporadically put up in the future.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

http://www.animevice.com/news/scanlations-the-pirates-life-for-me/3904/

He declares I am not a true fan of Fullmetal Alchemist because I buy it on page 3. Oh and on page 2 he reveals that he thinks Detective Conan is a Shonen Jump title.

Because feeding the people that created and published FMA so they don't starve to death before finishing the series doesn't make us true fans...

I love how he brings up trying simuti-casts for the Conan anime when it has nothing to do with his "Viz edited/changed names for an Americanized market" argument. Though maybe translating, lettering, editing, and sending each step to japan for approval for a chapter could totally happen in a day. Who am I to say...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Thank you, thank you, Justin and Zac for a very interesting and entertaining episode of ANNCast.

I'm now extremely curious about these lists of streaming show rankings and hope you guys might consider a regular news update for this on the site. - I think they are just as relevant as the New York Times listings for manga and the television listings from Japan. IMO, this would be a good news item that would spark discussion. Question

-Enjoyed the Yen Press interview. I really like how Mr Hassler is exploring and expanding different business models, and having success. It was nice to hear some relatively good news for a change.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
I found the scanalation discussion pretty interesting. My experience with scanalations is much different than portrayed here, for various reasons. One being I've only dealt in scanalations in the BL community and many BL scanalators' sites and communities (okay, aarin) are pretty responsible about removing licensed titles and subsequently directing fans where to buy them. I suppose part of the difference may be that BL titles tend to be 1, 2, maybe 3 volumes tops (yes, there are some that are longer but not many) so by the time it's been licensed it's probably already been fully scanalated and in some cases has a pretty established fandom. Obviously a 1-to-3 volume purchase, to a devoted niche fanbase of any sort, is a lot less daunting than a 20+ volume ongoing shonen-type title for a more casual fan. Long story short (sorry Embarassed ), I hope scanalations don't completely go away for some niche genres (like my own) because in my case they have definitely informed my purchasing decisions for the better. I have bought so much more manga, having known that I enjoyed it, than I would've blind-bought. But that's just my 2 cents on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJtheFourth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear that scanlations are making such a dent in the manga market. It's naive, but I always assumed, since manga is an easier blind buy than a DVD due to the price point, that it didn't make as much of an impact as, say, fansubs do to DVD releases.

Glad to hear that Yen Press is doing well, especially in the light novel department since they have done so historically bad in the North American market, although it helps that one of the two properties is the juggernaut of Haruhi. Maybe this will open the door for a few other light novels to be licensed. Bakemonogatari, Toradora!, Baccano!, and Durarara!! would all be amazing...

...yeah, yeah, I know there's no chance, but a girl can dream, right?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

http://www.animevice.com/news/scanlations-the-pirates-life-for-me/3904/

He declares I am not a true fan of Fullmetal Alchemist because I buy it on page 3. Oh and on page 2 he reveals that he thinks Detective Conan is a Shonen Jump title.

Because feeding the people that created and published FMA so they don't starve to death before finishing the series doesn't make us true fans...

I love how he brings up trying simuti-casts for the Conan anime when it has nothing to do with his "Viz edited/changed names for an Americanized market" argument. Though maybe translating, lettering, editing, and sending each step to japan for approval for a chapter could totally happen in a day. Who am I to say...

To be fair Rin-ne has been translated quickly and for free, but then again Rin-ne hasn't been a success even though it's written by manga legend Rumiko Takahashi.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
I agree on Lupin, I've seen Secret of Mamo and Gold of Bablyon, among others, and they're just....you know. Castle of Cagliostro really is the only thing I care about, because it takes a serious yet entertaining stance on the franchise, which I love seeing.

The one thing I love about Lupin is that Fujiko's character design is the one that keeps changing in every work. Almost to the point that you might not even know it's her unless they name her, or you just assume it's her because it's the only female.

Glad to see Zeta Gundam streaming so well, people need to get all that Gundam watched to get prepared for Unicorn.

Also, yeah, ELO and DAICON IV. Forever ingrained.

As for Spice and Wolf, all of the hate really isn't about the changing over the cover, it's picking an ugly ass cover that looks goddamn horrible. It looks ugly and it looks like it look 5 minutes in photoshop. Really, the bland artsy Haruhi covers are a far better option than doing something like that. Go ahead and make a cover for a wider audience, but please, spend more time and money making it not look like shit.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:02 am; edited 2 times in total
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
To be fair Rin-ne has been translated quickly and for free, but then again Rin-ne hasn't been a success even though it's written by manga legend Rumiko Takahashi.

Oh, good point! I had forgotten about Rin-ne... Actually, I don't know anyone following it. Anything from Rumiko Takahashi tends to be a hit-or-miss. Isn't CLAMP doing something similar to this, kind of?

Like I said earlier, what do I know? It would be amazing if we really could establish a greater partnership with Japan so we could work through the printing process at the same time. That would solve all our problems. But there's so much to catch up on, and not everything currently circulating there is marketable here. As an avid reader I prefer full volumes at a time, anyway.

Oh, mentioning how we'd like to know #s of DVD units sold, and finding out what's successfully streaming, do we know how many books are actually being sold? Sure we know Naruto's the top-selling manga and we see the NYT best-sellers, but that's all I've really heard about it.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Is there anyway you can post the List of Popular anime on Crunchyroll, sounds intriguing.

The list they talk about seems to match up with http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime?cat=popular almost exactly which makes me wonder if CR's most popular list is actually based on how much traffic it gets or how many times it has been voted/favorited (Which obviously will not have a 1:1 correlation with views).

silver_deeds wrote:
Oh, mentioning how we'd like to know #s of DVD units sold, and finding out what's successfully streaming, do we know how many books are actually being sold? Sure we know Naruto's the top-selling manga and we see the NYT best-sellers, but that's all I've really heard about it.
The numbers generally aren't available for manga either. There are the random things like a top 500 list a couple years ago with exact sales numbers that appear though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 am Reply with quote
Zac: "Only episodes"

He worked on the first series, too.

"they've tried 4 or 5 times to make it popular here"

Officially, two times, with Streamline and Animeigo in the 90s, and every other company in the 2000s. Unofficially, you could count that appearance in Cliff Hanger.

"I guess [Geneon thought] it [would be considered] cool, because it's retro".

It seems they were trying to cash in on Austin Powers at the time.
But the the whole point of AP is the disconnect between the current era and the era he hails from. Lupin didn't have that sense of irony.

"I'm sure there are people who love it and have seen every single episode"

It's called Lupin Encyclopedia, Lupinthethird.net and the Lupin ML. Wink

"Not a lot of movies got fansubbed"

Well, actually, I think they got up to the 2001 specia. Then the Lupin Gang Group dropped out when the series officially got licensed; and now it's more like a hobbyist thing between Lupin fans and not anime fans in general.

"gossip girl turn away a sizeable portion of the male audience"

From what I've heard on other sides, those actresses actually have male fans. Whether the guys actually watch the show is a different story, though.

Justin: "Laputa robot"

Those were actually inspired off a Max Fleischer Superman episode.

"Cat's Eye: the whole set-up is very cheesey"

Heard about this on Helen McCarthy's tweet. Laughing

"Bye Bye Liberty Crisis"

Fansub or Manga UK dub? As for the premise, while I admit it's kind of sappy, I kinda like its more zany take on the franchise.

"1970s idea of computers"

Actually, the special was made in '89...

"worst animation"

That would be Babylon.

"worst one I saw was Fujiko's Bad Day"

See, I love it up until they get to the bad guy. But then that seiyuu who I just call Kuwabara, because of YYH, showed up in it, and he's one of my favorite actors, so... Just don't tell Nabeshin that you hated it at AX. Wink

"Animeigo put those out on VHS"

Actually, those were Fuma and Babylon. Streamline handled Mamo.

"Home Improvement"

Ugh, that show sucks compared to Lupin. At least when they focused on the kids, anyway.

"Everything else MP has done is shit."

I hear Siamese Neko and Cinderella Boy ain't bad.

"shocker Zeta Gundam"

Well, I'm guessing that new OVA's been good for it. I just hope this bodes well for the Fist set from Discotek.

"Maybe the female fans were willing to watch it casually but not buy it on DVD?"

Or maybe the marketing for female fans totally blows, and they should get some of those Twilight PR people on-board to boost sales.

Megiddo: Well, he didn't write the story that time, so...

Charred: Like keeping the Japanese names would actually make a difference in whether or not Conan sells more here. Rolling Eyes

Theory: You'll probably have to pay a fortune for it on E-bay. But never say never about the rest of the show's prospects here.

dizzon:Then get the friends who like it to check out First Contact.

WAL: Walther/Island of Assassins also takes a serious approach to the series.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Theory: You'll probably have to pay a fortune for it on E-bay.

$6.00 total ($2.99 + shipping) off of Amazon marketplace. *swish*

Which is about the max I would pay for a vhs. The format does not impress me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
Great show as always. It is not surprising that scanlations are making a dent in the manga market. Scanlations and fansubs are more or less a necessary evil IMO. While it may help you expose yourself to show or manga that most likely will never get a R1 or a English release, it also takes away from the legit product that does exist.

I would be lying to say that I haven't used either fansubs or scanlations from time to time, however though I limit this to show or manga that will most likely never get a R1 release or an official English translation.

After listening to the blooper this morning I don't think I can ever think of Joe Don Baker the same again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lupin is pronounced "LU-PAHN".

Actually, it's a French name, and it's pronounced "Lou Pehn."

Of course, expecting you to pronounce it the French way is silly of me, isn't it? Maybe I should just let you pronounce it the way that is most comfortable to you.

-t
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
The two episodes Streamline released as Lupin the Third's Greatest Capers were actually not from the first Lupin the Third TV series. They were from the end of the second series, the same series that Geneon released later on that was broadcast on Adult Swim. You can tell by the color of Lupin's jacket. In the original TV series he was sporting a green jacket, and in the second 70s series (the most well-known) he's wearing a red one. There was a third TV series as well later on, in which Lupin wore a pink jacket, but the only officially released portion of that we ever saw was the much-maligned Legend of the Gold of Babylon movie. That one's perhaps most notable for being directed by Seijun Suzuki, best known for being a director of live-action movies, some of which like Branded to Kill were released as part of the Criterion Collection.

The reasons given for Lupin's failure in the US are all pretty sound, most notably the sizable amount of variability with regards to overall quality and visuals. I think it was noted somewhere that Lupin's character design has been re-done at least like, I don't know, 40 times or something. The differences in how the cast can look yet still be recognizable are pretty substantial, so if you like the somewhat more realistic look of Dead or Alive or In Memory of the Walther P-38 (released by FUNimation as "Island of Assassins") you may not necessarily like the more outright cartoony designs used elsewhere.

But I think at the end of the day, why Lupin the Third never caught on in the US can be summarized a simpler explanation: it's seinen of the non-moe variety. It started off as a seinen series in the 1960s and, save for a few instances, remained solidly there ever since. Much as we speak of anime being this medium for telling grown-up stories, America simply doesn't have the viewing audience for it. I don't know about you, but the most typically liked titles even among anime fans in their 20s and up tend to still be ones developed for children and teenagers. (To be fair, most anime is precisely that.) Even in the streaming category, the least viewed things as you said are all the non-moe seinen series that comprise the majority of what I'm watching these days. People don't even want to watch this stuff for FREE!

Regardless, I'm very glad Discotek Media will be releasing Lupin the Third Episode 0: First Contact on DVD, as that's almost certainly the single best Lupin the Third animation made in the last like, decade. Everybody get THAT one!
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Being a huge manga fan I really enjoyed this episode. I also agree at this point I'm not surprised to see the dent it's making. Plus with the bad economy a lot of people are going online instead of stores for entertainment.

The shoujo titles being a big hit on crunchyroll isn't to surprising. Girls who are more casual viewer don't really have the collectors mentality and may also what to spend there money on other things then DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5