• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex America Sells Gurren Lagann Movie DVDs in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
xstylus wrote:

Meh. I plan on waiting for a dub anyway. Maybe by then it'll be available on RightStuf.com.

There won't be a dub. Aniplex made it pretty clear.

Yeah, I suppose so, but companies have changed their minds before, especially if enough people vote with their wallets. I dunno if the market has enough voting wallets though, to be honest.

If the non-dubbed version is priced accordingly, I'll probably give in after a year or two, especially if I stumble upon it on one of RightStuf's regular sales.

Last edited by xstylus on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
I really don't know how to react to this. Do they honestly think that they can connect with North American fans better than the established R1 anime companies? I find it unlikely that they really could. Not impossible perhaps, but highly unlikely. Are they just really that unhappy with what the R1 companies have been doing to decide not to license to them? Or did all of the R1 companies just decide that the Gurren Lagann movies weren't worth the cost. It's not likely they're really new material after all. They're rehash of the show and probably contain a fair amount of rehashed material (though not having seen them, I don't know how much of it is really new animation). It really sounds to me like they're just trying to get a product into the North American market that the R1 companies wouldn't license.

And I can't see this as a particularly postive thing, generally speaking. If it brings titles over here that wouldn't otherwise come, then that's great. But I really don't expect them to deal with the R1 market as well as the R1 anime companies, and selling titles only through the Bandai store isn't exactly desirable. It pretty much guarantees that we're going to have to pay closer to MSRP than you would at some of the other online anime stores. And there's a high chance that they'll try and charge prices closer to those in Japan - though the fact that they're concerned about Blu-Rays being reverse imported is a good sign since it would indicate that they do intend to sell them at least somewhat cheaper here than in Japan.

If this means that we'll be getting titles that we wouldn't have otherwise gotten, then that's good. But it doesn't seem to me like a very good sign that a Japanese anime company decides that it needs to try and sell to the R1 market directly. It doesn't say good things about what they think of the R1 licensors, and it's likely to increase prices (not to mention almost guarantee a lack of dubs).

If a Japanese anime company does this, it seems to me that either the R1 anime companies have decided that it's not worth the cost (in which case, unless the lack of license fees would be enough to make the title profitable, it'll probably bomb for the Japanese anime company as well) and/or that the Japanese anime company is looking to try and reap a higher profit margin by selling their titles directly at higher prices (which is likely to bomb as we've seen in the past). So, if we get titles that we wouldn't have otherwise, then great. But this really doesn't look like a good trend (and the fact that Bandai in Japan is selling the most recent Gundam OVA in a similar manner makes this seem like it's definitely starting a trend).

Edit: Oh, they're up for pre-order already: http://store.bandai-ent.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=gurren+lagann+movie&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

The prices aren't exactly pleasant (MSRP of $29.98 for the regular and $49.98 for the special edition), but they're about what you'd expect from higher-priced singles, so it's not too bad. And they are somewhat cheaper as pre-orders ($23.98 regular, $39.98 special) - though there is likely to be shipping on top of that, which I would have avoided had I been able to buy them at rightstuf. Not great prices, but not all that bad.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Edit: Oh, they're up for pre-order already: http://store.bandai-ent.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=gurren+lagann+movie&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

The prices aren't exactly pleasant (MSRP of $29.98 for the regular and $49.98 for the special edition), but they're about what you'd expect from higher-priced singles, so it's not too bad. And they are somewhat cheaper as pre-orders ($23.98 regular, $39.98 special) - though there is likely to be shipping on top of that, which I would have avoided had I been able to buy them at rightstuf. Not great prices, but not all that bad.

Considering all the people alluding to BVUSA in the comments so far, those prices are downright golden when compared. And $30/$50 for standard/LE is actually, for lack of a better word, standard... unless it's some cheap throwaway movie or a standalone OVA (like Funi's release of the Gunslinger Girl OVA, which I saw at Best Buy for like, 16 bucks). So the cheaper prices, and considering that they are coming straight from Japan without a licensor in the middle, look really good. Exceedingly so when placed beside BVUSA's $100 releases of the Patlabor movies and $60+ Gunbuster OVAs. I'm gonna order these right now. All the extras in the LE sets make this a must for me.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I really don't know how to react to this. Do they honestly think that they can connect with North American fans better than the established R1 anime companies? I find it unlikely that they really could. Not impossible perhaps, but highly unlikely. Are they just really that unhappy with what the R1 companies have been doing to decide not to license to them? Or did all of the R1 companies just decide that the Gurren Lagann movies weren't worth the cost. It's not likely they're really new material after all. They're rehash of the show and probably contain a fair amount of rehashed material (though not having seen them, I don't know how much of it is really new animation). It really sounds to me like they're just trying to get a product into the North American market that the R1 companies wouldn't license.

And I can't see this as a particularly postive thing, generally speaking. If it brings titles over here that wouldn't otherwise come, then that's great. But I really don't expect them to deal with the R1 market as well as the R1 anime companies, and selling titles only through the Bandai store isn't exactly desirable. It pretty much guarantees that we're going to have to pay closer to MSRP than you would at some of the other online anime stores. And there's a high chance that they'll try and charge prices closer to those in Japan - though the fact that they're concerned about Blu-Rays being reverse imported is a good sign since it would indicate that they do intend to sell them at least somewhat cheaper here than in Japan.

If this means that we'll be getting titles that we wouldn't have otherwise gotten, then that's good. But it doesn't seem to me like a very good sign that a Japanese anime company decides that it needs to try and sell to the R1 market directly. It doesn't say good things about what they think of the R1 licensors, and it's likely to increase prices (not to mention almost guarantee a lack of dubs).

If a Japanese anime company does this, it seems to me that either the R1 anime companies have decided that it's not worth the cost (in which case, unless the lack of license fees would be enough to make the title profitable, it'll probably bomb for the Japanese anime company as well) and/or that the Japanese anime company is looking to try and reap a higher profit margin by selling their titles directly at higher prices (which is likely to bomb as we've seen in the past). So, if we get titles that we wouldn't have otherwise, then great. But this really doesn't look like a good trend (and the fact that Bandai in Japan is selling the most recent Gundam OVA in a similar manner makes this seem like it's definitely starting a trend).

From what it sounds like, they're just not sure if they can rely on quality and timely releases from the current R1 distributors. FUNimation has a whole lot of titles they're working on, not to mention they dub just about everything, and that'll take time. Sentai/Section23 and Nozomi have their own thing. Bandai Entertainment has a funky release schedule. While it's still Bandai Entertainment manufacturing the products, Aniplex will probably have Bandai produce these on time.

Besides, with this level of exclusivity, Aniplex has better control over price and materials (extras and what-not).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Checked their work on the Encyclopedia, and, assuming they have the home video rights, I'd like to see Angel Heart get an R1 release here. [Or at least a few test dvds of it.] Anyway, it's nice to know that they're not just ramming whatever prices they think works in Japan, like BV before them.

zawa: If you already saw it illegally and liked it enough, you should at least be paying them back for the legal copy, dub or no dub.

Zilan: Don't be criticizing them about a pricing policy which you don't know shit about yet. And wishing them harm just adversely impacts the industry in general.

xstylus: The prices seem reasonable to me.

Anyway, getting GL here at all was a miracle in itself, since it probably only has slightly more appeal than GaoGaiGar.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
These prices are golden compared to BVUSA. If this were BVUSA, they'd be $75 (to match R2 prices) for the LE and $50 for the RE. I'd say this is a vast improvement over BVUSA.

Anyways, preordered LEs for both. Anime smile
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Considering all the people alluding to BVUSA in the comments so far, those prices are downright golden when compared. And $30/$50 for standard/LE is actually, for lack of a better word, standard...

If you're comparing to Bandai Visual, then sure they're closer to the realm of sanity, but BV's prices were so bonkers that anything looks sane compared to them. However, compared to other shows released sans dub, it's quite high. MSRP should be $20 and $35, IMO.

As for the site's prices, 30% off MSRP is average, but others do better. Not to mention the site charges steep shipping ($7!) plus tax in Cali. I can't remember a time since 2001 when I bought a DVD north of 40% off, shipping included. Yeah, RightStuf.com spoiled me.

I want an LE set, but as priced plus shipping and all, I won't be going anywhere near this.

Last edited by xstylus on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
I'm only interested in Blu-ray releases myself. Wish they were offering both movies on Blu-ray right now.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where will you ship these DVDs? Will they be for USA and Canada only?

Yes, North America (USA and Canada) only.

Are you taking the piss, guys? How can I support what I can't receive?

Man, between this and the lack of a dub (not a concern for me personally, but I feel for those who want one)... Why is it always the good series that get castrated releases?

It's really unfortunate too, since Aniplex America has some other ideas that are good. Lots of extras, BD releases (sounds like they plan on releasing as many as possible)... Sad
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
License-holders tired of foreign licensors mucking up releases with poor video quality and doing it themselves, potentially sidestepping regional sub-licensing issues altogether?
Very good.

Distribution, not through widely used international online distributors (Amazon, etc), but exclusive through the website of one regional distributor?
Very bad.
Quote:
Where will you ship these DVDs? Will they be for USA and Canada only?

Yes, North America (USA and Canada) only.
Incredible fail.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote
And there goes the "if it can get a TV broadcast..." line again.

I just hope to god Bakemonogatari is not one of those 5 titles they mentioned. Although given the fact that it's a pretty niche series it may be. Not even going to bother with this because the prices, while not BVUSA caliber, are still high for something with no dub. Even at the low prices for the regular editions I wouldn't go for either.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
Those prices aren't that until you factor in shipping. The special editions would only allow me to select a Priority Mail shipping option for $11.55. Uhhh... Yea, no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Besides all the tired comments about dubs and the like, I think the real question is if Aniplex will be able to get the word out there enough to try to get people to buy this. Until this morning, the only place I heard about the online Bandai-Ent. store was a banner ad over on animeondvd. Dubs, price points, and shipping charges don't really matter if no one knows you're selling the stuff. Maybe they'll hand out flyers that they are selling the dvd's whenever they have theatrical screenings of it.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Besides all the tired comments about dubs and the like, I think the real question is if Aniplex will be able to get the word out there enough to try to get people to buy this. Until this morning, the only place I heard about the online Bandai-Ent. store was a banner ad over on animeondvd. Dubs, price points, and shipping charges don't really matter if no one knows you're selling the stuff. Maybe they'll hand out flyers that they are selling the dvd's whenever they have theatrical screenings of it.

I only heard about the online store from this forum thread. :p

Oddly enough, they don't even seen to have a lot of DVDs from their own series in stock. How is that even possible?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
The store has a good deal for the LE. DVD+Parallel Works+ postcards+program book for less than $40. I'll preorder when I get back home tonight. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9