• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Film's Latest Footage Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
redranger wrote:
Holy shit, Goku's Japanese voice is terrible.

Granted, the trailer doesn't showcase Nozawa's best work, but she's the best voice Goku's ever had, largely because she can actually act, and has Goku's personality and speech quirks down perfectly. That delivery is priceless.

Certainly preferable to Sean Schemmel.

Sean Schemmel is way better imo

It's certainly better than goku sounding like a little kid with the japanese VA.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Can I ever find A dragon ball Z (Or anime general) forum where it doesn't turn into and English vs Japanese battle? Well all have different tastes in what we think matches a character.

Anyways, This movie doesn't strike my fancy. Sure looks better than Bio-Broly though. But if this means there might be even more DBZ films in the future I'll support it. Who know's they might make something that rivals tree of might.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

It's certainly better than goku sounding like a little kid with the japanese VA.

The warm, free-wheeling sincerity and fun of Nozawa's hillbilly-who-trips-over-words manchild is far superior to the sound of a beefy, generic superhero type with only the occasional shades of talent that Schemmel brings to the table.

Just the way Nozawa delivers a line, the exhuberance and intoning, is pure brilliance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
redranger wrote:
Holy shit, Goku's Japanese voice is terrible.

Granted, the trailer doesn't showcase Nozawa's best work, but she's the best voice Goku's ever had, largely because she can actually act, and has Goku's personality and speech quirks down perfectly. That delivery is priceless.

Certainly preferable to Sean Schemmel.

I used to like Sean as Goku, but now I can only listen to Nozawa. She took some getting used to at first, but I really think her performance suits Goku.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Only English Dub Goku I liked was the original back in the Saban days.

KAMAYAMAYA and KAYO KEN n' all.

Twisted Evil
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The video is private and I can't watch it. Annoying.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The video is private and I can't watch it. Annoying.

I found what i think is another non-private version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnOWUbE7sM

And I have to say, Goku's japanese voice is apparently just terrible. It simply does not fit the character.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
japanese voice is apparently just terrible. It simply does not fit the character.

If you think that, you don't understand the character. Toriyama himself chose Nozawa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I might be the minority here but I like Wis and Bis' designs. It gets a bit annoying and repetitive when they keep on using big musclebound types as villains. This is the first time they've had villains like this since the androids. Looking forward to it.

As for Goku's voice, I'm curious if Toriyama and Toei ever decided to replace Goku's voice actor when Goku grew up.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
As for Goku's voice, I'm curious if Toriyama and Toei ever decided to replace Goku's voice actor when Goku grew up.

Why would they? Nozawa's adult Goku is a perfect evolution of her child Goku.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess it comes down to how DBZ was shown. DBZ was shown first before DB in a lot of countries. Hell, I thought DB was a prequel when I first saw. You can probably understand why some of us have a hard time getting used to GOku's Japanese. Even as I watched the series again from DB to DBZ, its still still hard to get used to it. Thats just me though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:
japanese voice is apparently just terrible. It simply does not fit the character.

If you think that, you don't understand the character. Toriyama himself chose Nozawa.

Yeah, back in 86, when the character was still a child. Having her voice Goku through adulthood was always a stupid decision, loyalty this, fan recognition this, or who cares. Voice should have changed when Goku was not dropping his pants and flashing his dick on screen anymore.

On top of that, I dislike that voice actress. Her grating wail some would call a voice made me hate Vifams, and she does it too often in GE999 for me to fully enjoy the series. Luckily Rintaro keeps her under control in the films.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, back in 86, when the character was still a child. Having her voice Goku through adulthood was always a stupid decision, loyalty this, fan recognition this, or who cares. Voice should have changed when Goku was not dropping his pants and flashing his dick on screen anymore.

On top of that, I dislike that voice actress. Her grating wail some would call a voice made me hate Vifams, and she does it too often in GE999 for me to fully enjoy the series. Luckily Rintaro keeps her under control in the films.

Nozawa's adult Goku is a perfect evolution of her child Goku. The voice Goku has when he arrives at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai is a more adult variant on his voice as a child. And the delivery of Goku's lines are done just so, and it's easy to pick up the way Nozawa has Goku speak, not just the casualness of the dialect, but the endearingly simple-mindedness of the character shining through the intonation. Nozawa is nothing short of genius in the role.

It's certainly preferrable to any of the guys who think Goku should sound like he has a giant fecal blockage. Schemmel's made some progress, but he can't bring the same sincerity that Nozawa does.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to back up penguintruth. I've been marathoning Dragonball in Japanese and when you watch it from the beginning you can definately hear the evolution in Nozawa's performance. Especially in the majin buu arc when she is voicing Goku, Gohan, and Goten and they each sound distinct from each other.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That is an opinion (which I'm sure many share), not a fact. By this line of reasoning, then many Shounen Protagonists should now have their voices changed well into their later ages. I don't see people getting enraged then. In my opinion, it's not really a big deal. I can agree that a male actor would be more suitable to the physical features Son Goku attains in adulthood, but I believe Nozawa understands the character enough that she can play it just fine. Even the likes of Kouichi Yamadera, Norio Wakamoto, and the rest of the various Dragon Ball voice cast like to emulate the over the top Kiai screams and grunts that Nozawa is famously ridiculed for when playing their respective roles in the franchise.

The way I describe the Japanese cast is bombastic, over-the-top, and defying conventional logic. Much like how the whole of Dragon Ball is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4