• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai Debuts on U.S.'s Nicktoons Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Am I the only one annoyed by Nicktoons selling this as a "Brand New show!!!"? Sure it's different than the original, but only in episode order, not material.

They probably went that way to attract new people. Especially if its new for that channel. So, yeah, a marketing thing is possible.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Some thoughts from a non-DBZ fan on the show so far:
--Funimation went with a dubbed theme?! The animation's really pretty, though.
--that's a really, really, really long recap...
--Gohan's cute. I want to watch this show for him!
--Kal-El is a way cooler alien name then Kakarot!
--Raditz doesn't look like he wears any underwear...what accent did they give him?
--Bulma's suit looks like it's straight from the Eighties..oh, wait, it is!
--Why are they so confused about Goku having a kid? They know he married Chichi.

--that narrator guy is really annoying.
It's nice to see the Funimation logo on TV.

This was fun and wacky! Very Happy
Bebop56210

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
I've Been a Long time DBZ fan ever since the original version of the syndication 1996 Ocean/Saban dub when I was younger. Very Happy

I'm pretty sure they'll change the opening theme song like Funimation have been doing with all they're DBZ Revised Edited/Uncut Dubs for the past 10 years now,but I'm hoping they keep the overall original Kai BGM Score by Kenji Yamamoto,since his music score sounds alot less cheesy than Shunsuke KIKUCHI's score from the original 1989 series.

No offense to Bruce Faulcor fans,but as Much as I liked his music from the funimation dubs from the Ginyu Saga all the way up to the Majin Buu saga,but I don't think I can bare to here that music all over again in the Kai version. Very Happy

Everythings the same... Not sure what's gonna be on Nicktoons since its edited, but the DVD/Blu-ray's have all the original scores, Opening/ending Dubbed into English... Hell they even changed "OVER 9000!" Back to "OVER 8000!" Very Happy
YamiAtomsk

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first 2 episodes. I gotta say that they really didn't change a whole lot. They still referenced death (sometimes using terms like annihilate), all of the violent parts (with the exception of all blood being taken out) remain in tact so far. And overall no changes to the story. So this gets a thumbs up! I'll definitly get the blu-ray set now!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that they had Vic Mignogna sing "Dragon Soul" for the TV broadcast version. His version is a lot better than the Sean Schemmel version for the DVDs and Blu-Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
For those who needed a bit more than 12 hours notice, they are apparently re-airing them tonight from 11pm until midnight.
The King of Harts wrote:
Am I the only one annoyed by Nicktoons selling this as a "Brand New show!!!"? Sure it's different than the original, but only in episode order, not material.

Aside from The X-Files, has SciFi ever syndicated a show it didn't mind calling an original series?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised at just how much buck naked Baby Goku we saw in the first episode's recap. And I didn't see much censorship at all. Very nice Nickelodeon. About the only thing I heard was Goku call Raditz a "bastard" and they cut away/muted after he said the "bas" part. Or maybe I just misheard the word he said.

So I didn't see any obvious cuts or blurs or anything. Nickelodeon did good, and I'm optimistic for future anime on Nick. Also, I liked the dubbed OP, same as the One Piece ones. Smile

bglassbrook wrote:
For those who needed a bit more than 12 hours notice, they are apparently re-airing them tonight from 11pm until midnight.

Coincidentally(or not), that's the same time that SyFy airs Monster.

I like how Nick sandwiched DBZKai with an hour of the animesque Avatar before and after it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranma87

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to episodes 3 and 4 tomorrow, edits seem very minimal despite being on nicktoons.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
--that's a really, really, really long recap...

Well, they had to tell the story of Dragon Ball (the first series), which has over 150 episodes, if people where going to understand what the heck was going on in Kai. Sure it might have been long-winded, but they also left a lot of things out.
Agent355 wrote:
--Why are they so confused about Goku having a kid? They know he married Chichi.

Because Goku is a simpleton. He didn't even know what the term 'marry' meant when he told Chichi he would marry her. He thought it was some kind of food when he agreed to it.

You really have to understand Goku's character to understand the shock of his friends when they found out he had a kid.

---

Anyway, I like it so far. The only thing I don't like is Gohan's new voice. No offense to the VA who plays him... I just don't think the voice fits him at all. The first few lines sounded good, but later on he just started sounding like a girl..
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
That's generally how four year old boys sound. At least he doesn't sound like a soulless husk the way Stephanie Naldony did as Gohan. I think Clinkenbeard's Gohan is extremely good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
I bet Cartoon Network's really happy they killed Toonami these days.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
From what I heard, the newest person running CN doesn't like anime whatsoever. Seeing as how they are treating timeslots for some anime like Pokemon on a death timeslot, I believe in it some that even if it shows anime on the other channels are bringing in ratings, most likely the guy running CN doesn't care to take notice.

As for Gohan's voice, its sounds more like a little child, but I still need to get used to the voice again, just like how I got used to other voices when the new episodes on CN came after the syndication ones.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
I loved it the only thing i did not like was the opening song was in english but oh well.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The edits so far are minor:

1) During the prologue, in Bardock's death scene, there's an extra piece of fabric covering his groin.

2) In the recap, when Goku lands the final blow to Piccolo Jr., the blood coming from Piccolo's mouth was changed to spit.

3) The Farmer's cigarette was removed.

4) The brandname "Chevrolet" was removed from the Farmer's truck.

5) Master Roshi's beer was changed to an ice cream... soda Question

6) Master Roshi's "advances" towards Bulma were removed.

7) No blood comes from Krillin's mouth when Raditz sends him flying.

DBZ Kai is edited to begin with in Japan compared to the original DBZ; the above listed are the visual edits Funimation has made to grant the series a TV-Y7 FV rating so it can be shown on Nicktoons and eventually The CW4Kids (to be re-branded "Toonzai"). I also expected the opening to be cut short and the ending to be removed all together for TV broadcast. So in short none of it really bothers me.

Colleen Clinkenbeard's Gohan sounds suitably like a 4-5 year old; giving her experience with Monkey D. Luffy I'm anxious to her in the Cell Saga. Monica Rial's Bulma sounds similar to Lalainia Lindbjerg's verison and Doc Morgan's narration sounds similar to the narration from the old Ocean Group, even Chris Sabat's Piccolo sounded similar to Scott McNeil at one point. Comparing the Funimation cast to the original Ocean Group cast is the highest praise I can give. Although, I would have liked to hear characters to use their names from the manga (i.e. Son Goku instead of just Goku and Kuririn instead of Krillin) but, it's a very minor gripe.

All-round, this is a quality dub with accurate writing, plus they kept the original soundtrack intact (a first for a english DBZ broadcast) so everyone freting about Funi not learning from their history with the series can now relax.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
5 minute warning to 2 more new episodes of DBZ Kai. It's easy to forget that an anime isn't premiering on a weekly basis for once. DBZ Kai has new eps every night this week at the minimum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3