• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Syfy: Requiem from the Darkness Replaces Monster Til August

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Actually looking forward to this. I couldn't get in to Monster, and I've missed watching anime on Syfy, so I'll be happy to watch something again!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
Words can not describe how much I love RftD. Still, I can see how this is frustrating for fans that have been following Monster on TV. Personally, I have been waiting for the DVDs to come out fully. That way I can watch it in one fell swoop.

Seriously though, people should check out RftD if they have not already. And give it more than one episode. In fact, once episode two comes around episode one makes more sense and you're hooked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
I don't mind that they're airing Requiem - pretty much anything is better than re-runs of Descendants of Darkness. And if they really do need more time to dub Monster, then that's okay too.

What DOES bother me is where they chose to stop Monster before the hiatus - It's right before the whole climax of the series!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
Wow. Really? What the hell sense does this make? Shocked

Lolz, now I've gotta break this news to my sister--she's loving this show. xD.

Anyway, until Monster comes back, I just hope this Requiem thing is worth a watch.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know what is going on with the DVD release schedule? I still can't find any listings, even pre-order listings, for box set 2 of the series.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
This really annoys me. I've been watching Monster faithfully, because I loved the manga. They're running two episodes a week, which means it was almost done anyway. Couldn't they just wait until it finished its run to play this new series? Is this new thing a "limited time" license? Thanks Sci Fi for screwing the fans...
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
What is really frustrating is that I purposely did not start watching Monster on SyFy (previously watched anime on SyFy and was driven to distraction by all the commercials), so as much as I wanted to start watching it, I didn't and was going to wait for the dvds. Bought the first set of dvds and now Viz and NO NEWS on the continuation of them!
Now, all this time I could have at least been watching it (poorly, but still) on SyFy! I am never going to get to see Monster complete.
I am such a loser on BOTH counts (SyFy AND Dvds)!!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Elfen Noir wrote:
What is really frustrating is that I purposely did not start watching Monster on SyFy (previously watched anime on SyFy and was driven to distraction by all the commercials), so as much as I wanted to start watching it, I didn't and was going to wait for the dvds. Bought the first set of dvds and now Viz and NO NEWS on the continuation of them!
Now, all this time I could have at least been watching it (poorly, but still) on SyFy! I am never going to get to see Monster complete.

Thats too bad about the DVDs, but episodes are streamed on Hulu, Youtube, and Manga Entertainments website, so while its not as good as owning the DVDs you can still watch it. Although Hulu and Youtube are only up to #38, Manga.com is up to #52
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Elfen Noir wrote:

Thats too bad about the DVDs, but episodes are streamed on Hulu, Youtube, and Manga Entertainments website, so while its not as good as owning the DVDs you can still watch it. Although Hulu and Youtube are only up to #38, Manga.com is up to #52

No, I can't, I only have dial-up (I know, I know, but I can't afford fast internet and my anime collecting too).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
well its good that they didn't cancel this now all they got to do is release the second box soon
nedmech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Gaah! My wife is gonna be up in arms about this! Monster has been a weekly addition for us, and she's been even more hooked on it that on her soaps. Razz

The whole storyline is so intricately woven and has so many references to earlier events and characters that a huge break in the broadcast schedule like this really destroys the continuity. I've been a bit disappointed with SyFy's Ani-Monday block recently (all reruns?), with the notable exception of Monster. Now they do this to it?!?

I am at least curious to watch RftD. It seems to have fair reviews and could be good. I just wish they wouldn't have screwed up the broadcast schedule of Monster in the process!
jlaking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
It may be possible that these episodes haven't been dubbed yet and they need a little buffer time.

Or maybe Viz has not sent out the the broadcast tapes yet.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who gets the Funimation Channel Monster's been airing at 12:30 AM on Saturdays and Sundays. This weekend they will air episodes 21 & 22.

Not much consolation for those of us who've been watching it on SyFy, but at least someone's airing it.

If Funi sticks to their usual pattern, they will air it this way for an undetermined period of time and then start over with one episode per day on weekdays with a five episode recap on the weekend. Lord knows when though, the timing varies with each show they air this way. NANA started and restarted a half-a-dozen times before it finally stabilized in its current time slot.

EDIT: Alrighty then, NANA is now at 1 episode per week, on Saturday, repeated on Sunday. You just never know...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sucks for people who watch Monster on tv. With Viz's ridiculous reluctance to release the next dvds and now this, seems like fans of Monster can't catch a break.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Really? It's gonna be gone for two whole months? Argh! And I already have Requiem on DVD. It's a good show, but I've seen it. Monster is a great show, and I've been watching it every week since it debuted this past Fall. August 30 can't come soon enough.

So, is there any particular reason why it's going on hiatus? Did they not have all the episodes dubbed or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3