• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seitokai Yakuindomo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
I also enjoyed it too, I didn't take too much notice at first, but now that you mention it the series did do a lot of parodying of common clichés, I guess it just was not thrown in the face so it is less obnoxious. For starters I will also agree that the creepy voice of the Newspaper girl was enjoyable, took me a bit of a shock at first, but kind of reminded me of a similar voice used in Okami-san. This show had dirty jokes, so much so that it is quite surprising at the beginning, you quickly realise that they plan to trick you at most set ups and the most innocent story can have a shocking end, and they still continued to surprise and shock.

Funny thing about the last episode is that half way through they decided to do a sum up of everything, I was not exactly happy about it at first. First they bluntly blurred the lines at where the fourth wall was, they pretty much said that they reminiscing on past episodes, then all of a sudden events are not like we remembered, kind of a funny way of making fun of the cliché, make it look like they too are using it, then break it down. Such as when as they were about to mention that book, one of the dirties items in the series, put into a funny context then spoiler[then after trying to prove what she got, it turned into something dorky and quite clean.]

My favourite character was Hagimura, smart short pigtailed girls are not exactly rare, but chucking her in the middle of the dirty affairs is funny, I would say the fact they had too “straight man” was a positive, as it didn’t just feel like the world against him. I think I mentioned earlier on that I liked the short jokes, they continued throughout the series, but mix it up a few times, but twist a few ways, I liked how they ended up in the cliché floor pose, yet the mother’s reaction was different. Probably one of my favourite’s of her jokes was how she helped give directions to that foreigner, nice dramatic scene, then he calls her a little girl and she starts swearing at him in English Laughing. I think they even missed the swear part of the second swear in censoring.

I think I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, I definitely got more shocked than I would have thought from reading the description, again must learn to be prepared for the unexpected. I would like to maybe see his sister get more in the mix; she was pretty funny, especially with her twist intro with being too much like other characters. It was good jokes with how she got through the entrance exams spoiler[ completely failing the test, then got the meeting with the teacher and past due to complete perversion on both sides, I am surprised she didn’t guess she was his sister.] Actually talking about the teacher it was a nice gag how she got introduced, a pure “who the hell are you”, and the twist recap turning into some kind of fight. Echoed nicely by the pure girl who bluntly said that it was more interesting, but I was also surprised that though it looked like they were leading up for something dirty, yet since she is pure I thought it wouldn’t happen, but they did it anyway.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
It ended up being my second favorite show of the season behind Asobi ni Iki yo ... maybe third if you count K-on!!.

Favorite gag of the show was Tsuda's third Christmas gift, I won't spoil it, I just thought it was hilarious.

After that, one of the non-dirty jokes- The whole sequence with the story Tsuda wrote for the newsletter. Capped off with the accusation from the Morals Committee girl- spoiler["I hear you're going around school making girls cry!"] Laughing

Occasionally the jokes miss and sometimes I don't get the Japanese word gags but it succeeded in making me LOL more than any other show this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
GEORGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Was my favorite show of the season easily, fairly strong sales of around 6 thousand copies per volume should mean this gets a second season. First 13 episodes were based on the first two volumes, 4th came out a few weeks back...

Anime lifted the manga big time.. Vol 3's opening week was 43,881 and Vol 4 after the anime aired was 95.446..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
GEORGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I remember that part, the story was funny, kind of reminded me of a simular gag done one Seitokai no Ichizon, although with more kittens, oh poor mother mouse. Some good cheese can be funny.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I kept following this one despite the fact that it was... how shall I put it... to watch it, I had to be really bored, and turn my brain off. Both conditions were (fortunately?) met. I would have liked more character development - especially since the studio actually put in quite a lot of effort, and I've no doubt that I wouldn't be able to read a page of the source material without yawning and closing it down. The jokes for the most part just made me facepalm, but I have to admit that I was grinning most of the time.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Easily the greatest series this season, which is good and actually a tad bit sad. Great because less than five minutes into episode one, you knew where this series stood on the humor level.

Despite the crude humor (which wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be) the main cast were still friends at the end of the episode and the series never ever went too far or got too creepy.

In addition, although the show had some drama, they never went way overboard or went into way too depressing elements for a slice of life comedy. The series started out as a hilarious comedy and ended up becoming a exceptional series with cast members that were neither too stereotypical or too bland.

The President (who spoiler[later became a senior in high school in the final episode.] and Tsuda were my favorite character's. Hagimura Suzu was also a great character, but her interactions with Tsuda were truly priceless and were comedy gold.

But I really liked Tsuda because he didn't act like the typical "good" guy high school student. He said harems were irrational and wasn't interested at all and the reason he went to the school was because it was close. He was the perfect straight man as well, neither losing his temper or just going with the flow.

He always voiced his opinion and did it in such a way that wasn't over done or annoying. Another positive, he never went overboard with the comments either. Though in the series, we see his sister (okay, she was strange at times) but never once did we see his parents, nor were they mentioned at all.

I saw another series (Ookami long long name Shinichi or something) and both series started the same. Ultimately, I dropped Ookami because it became too stereotypical and intense and continued to watch this series. I watched up to episode five of Ookami before dropping the series, but I finished Seitokai.

Both started out fun, but eventually Ookami became more sad than funny and Seitokai continued to be hilarious until the end. I hope some day Seitokai Yakuindomo is licensed and dubbed, because it's been ages since I've enjoyed a comedic slice of life series.

Yes, it may not be the perfect series for everyone, but at least the series never became too creepy or too depressing. I'd buy it, but only time will tell if that actually ever happens.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Despite the crude humor (which wasn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be) the main cast were still friends at the end of the episode and the series never ever went too far or got too creepy.

There were many funny jokes that were not dirty at all. Like the running gag where characters will be standing around in a group and all we see of Suzu is a sign above her head saying "Suzu is here" or Suzu is approximately here". One time the sign was even spinning.

Suzu got many (or even most) of the non-dirty skits, like when Tsuda's sister calls her "Senpai" and Suzu makes the brightest smile she had all series. Or when Tsuda asks her to tutor him, and she leads him into an empty room not because she's in love with him but because she doesn't want anyone to mistakenly think that he's teaching her.

Of course, she was in a couple of dirty/sexual skits, like when the series couldn't fully show her bathing as that "would breach censorship rules". But most of the time, it was her general (and completely clean) disposition that was hilarious, such as her ability to hear (and subsequently punch) people in her sleep, her idea of holding hands by tying her hair to Tsuda's wrist, or simply her reaction to getting hit on by an elementary-school kid at the beach.

So yeah, although the show is unrepentantly dirty, that doesn't mean it cannot make full use of other, cleaner forms of comedy. Hey, some of the non-dirty skits didn't even have Suzu in them. I know, amazing huh?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
OVA 5 (episode 17)

We really did not use the thread much did we, I mean the entire series is just dirty jokes, so I wonder why I feel the urg to post after watching the recent OVA. Probably just feel the need to mention that they totally went places with the dried squid skit, which they broke into pieces and have left hanging for more. And dango on a stick compared to a certain toy.

I might as well mention that the OVAs have had some good aditions with his sister having a larger part from being in the school, she even got refered to as a chuunibyou, I am seeing that phrase all over the place now. OVA also has a decensored opening for those wondering what the pixelated towers were.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
OVA 8 (final)

So this is the last OVA, but apparently there will be a second season so it is not goodbye. I do wonder how they will do the second season though as this OVA ended on New years of the second year, thus Aria and Shino only have a term left before graduating.

I would say a problem with these OVAs is that it can be hard to get a good feeling of what they were like together as one skit could be so different from another, and episodes could be watched months apart. There has been one skit that only a bit was shown in each OVA, finally revealing that spoiler[it was all his sister's doing, which was innocent at first, but she really did do something dirty]. Not to mention they really have been getting away with more with the OVA format, Hagimura's friend has spoiler[constantly implied to have had vibrater inside of her].

I will porbably give the OVAs a Good rating, I gave the first season a "Very Good" rating by the way, but perhaps it is that the OVAs have felt disjointed that lowers it. I look forward to the Second Season and hope that we might finally have some definitive romance apart from crushes where no one says anything (Shino spoiler[saying she might love Aria] was funny though).

I do feel a little sad that I am saying goodbye to Angela's Aoi Haru though, I love this song.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I just checked if the upcoming Hidamari Sketch Graduation was a TV series or OVA (late this month), unfortunately it's just a two episode OVA.

It would be such a fantastic counterpoint to play an SYD "Graduation" show at the same time as Sketch's. Sketch can take care of all of the tearful goodbyes and SYD can handle the rest of the bodily fluids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Bring on season 2. I just hope it is funnier than the OVAs. I don't know if it is just me getting used to the dirty humour, but these OVAs don't feel as funny as the series did. I suspect a lot of it is due to the repetitveness; after all, there are only so many masturbation jokes that can be made. If you've seen two dozen you've kind of seen them all. Or rather, seen so many that they don't have the same punch as they used to. By now the Anime is well-worn and very predictable, so I would like to see season 2 mix things up a bit.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Bring on season 2. I just hope it is funnier than the OVAs. I don't know if it is just me getting used to the dirty humour, but these OVAs don't feel as funny as the series did. I suspect a lot of it is due to the repetitveness; after all, there are only so many masturbation jokes that can be made. If you've seen two dozen you've kind of seen them all. Or rather, seen so many that they don't have the same punch as they used to. By now the Anime is well-worn and very predictable, so I would like to see season 2 mix things up a bit.

Welcome back dude.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Welcome back dude.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Welcome back dude.

Feels good to be back, thanks.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

no, it's not just you. While I did laugh at the OVA's, the majority of the jokes did feel bit stale
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5