• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiSess777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
The Princess Knight fanboy just had me sighing and mentally facepalming, but I really enjoyed this recording. Too bad I'm on the other coast and couldn't attend. If you guys ever consider doing this for Otakon one year, I'd be pretty stoked!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Aw, I want to go to a ANN panel, get abused, and then given an awful prize. Sad

I, like Zac, also hope The Last Airbender is the end of Shamalamalan. He's deserved it since Signs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, I want to go to a ANN panel, get abused, and then given an awful prize. Sad

I, like Zac, also hope The Last Airbender is the end of Shamalamalan. He's deserved it since Signs.

He, and the Execs who thought it was a good idea to give him another job. Jeesh! How many stinkers does a guy have to make until Hollywood STOPS giving them work?! (This question also applies to Bret Ratner).

UTENA! Lordy, I don't get how so many folks are excited about that series. Seriously... It goes so beyond WTF it makes David Lynch and Twin Peaks (which is awesome) look tame/sane by comparison.

Great Live Show, all things considered.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
ChibiSess777 wrote:
The Princess Knight fanboy just had me sighing and mentally facepalming

Yeah, after about the first 20 seconds it turned really, really awkward.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
For some reason, this ANNCast made me think of Loveline. :lol:

Justin: "Those [Utena CPM] discs are ass."

They were pretty good for their time. I really dug those extras.

Zac: "No other con could compete with SDCC"

Allegedly, they're considering moving to Anaheim in 2012.

penguin: Sadly, Airbender had a good opening weekend artificially inflated by the 4th of July thing, 3D, and boys who didn't wanna see Eclipse.

As for the Princess Knight thing, whatever happened to that story about Tezuka Pro working w/ fansubbers to upload old anime shows like Dororo on CR?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Nice. That seemed like fun panel, hilarious or hilariously terribly prizes and all.

The buzz...wasn't that big of an issue at first but it did tend to get worse later.

I was a bit bothered by all the confusion about Geneon, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm glad about all the Revolutionary Girl Utena love. I've already commented on the movie elsewhere, but the TV series is as full of crazy symbolism as it is well written, to say the least, and definitely deserves to be back in legal circulation.

Hearing that certain people think Macross Frontier is too old makes me want to laugh and cry.

Didn't know about the Robotech and Mysteries Cities of Gold ballot stuffing. That's...very amusing and slightly depressing but I suppose it's not even that surprising given what you can organize through the Internet these days.

Things did take a turn for the creepy but I somehow pity the Princess Knight guy.

Dan42 wrote:
The reason it's #1 in the ratings is because it's a sequel. Same thing with Code Geass R2. The only people who watched these sequels were people who liked the first season. So you get a self-selection bias where everyone who watched the sequel was *very* likely to rate it high.

That is, until you run into those (few?) who are more likely to rate it low(-er) for that same reason. Laughing

In all seriousness, I'm sure you're unfortunately going to be statistically correct about most of those cases.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
AS BIG AS IN YOUR BEDROOM!!!!!

You guys are awesome.
Metal_Slug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, what did Zac/Justin say to piss off the CEO of AX? Anime hyper
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
My favorite part of this ANNCast was the presentation of the "prizes".

How many times did that Princess Knight dude get in line? -Maybe next time there should be a rule of 1 question per person... --it was getting a little stalkery. Kind of reminded me why I don't go to cons.
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
Great podcast again guys; good to hear you enjoy making them as much as we enjoy listening to them. Always brings a smile to my face when I'm stuck here at work.
Since this one was a con panel I do kind of wish you had videoed it this once, as it would have been great to watch as well as listen.

By the way, did anything ever come of that podcast Zac mentioned on twitter when you were all drunk in the hotel room on, what was it, friday?
kippy666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
That Princess Knight person was pretty...amusing!

Nice to know he also brought the Red river manga series Anime hyper
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
I have been a fan of your podcast for well over 10 episodes, and have a lot of respect for you HOWEVER I have a problem with your railgun comments on MULTIPLE levels.
First consistency, on a previous podcast Justin praised railguns sci-fi story with it's numerous plot twist in the first arc (aka leveler uper)
yet then you say it was a bad show that would not sell (since you did not specifically mention the otaku pandering or the lack of connection to the main story (to aru index) I can only think that it is because you think the series is as a scooters or is the next heat guy J (and we all know it was to stylized for it's own good)
Second the gross misrepresentation of the series, the series has ONE NUDITY scene in the first episode the first season of spice and wolf has MUCH more nudity and you did not call it a boob show. next is the fact that while the main characters are in middle school HOWEVER they do not look at all like LOLI'S also it is not a media blasters title.
Third while I think you are very funny, I do not think the loli joke or some of your abuse to the princes knight guy (yes he was not exactly normal but still, you could have been nicer)
Fourth I think you really do not understand how popular the (to aru index/railgun) actually is. at my colleges anime club's when they did a friday night marathon (yes we do not have big social lives) it was the MOST attended event of the year. 5 of us became fans of the show after that and got copies of the fansub we where showing after the event. three of us are already saving our money for the releases that funi is going to put out
which actually proves fan subs can increase sales by making more ANIME fans a fan of that show. do the fan subs hurt, I am sure some of them do but to say that they do not help sales as well by increasing the number of fans of that show is a fact. I say fact because I and many other people buy stuff we have seen fan subbed because we LOVE the show. if people just follow two key rules to fan subs I think the industry would be better of "if you like it then buy it" (media blasters on your podcast) and "as long as the official release is decently done (aka an average release so no 4kids one piece, or S23 glass mask (very poorly edited/QCed and packaging) or maid-sama poorly translated and (so far) released) then you should buy it.
I look forward to future podcast from you and hope you enjoyed anime expo, I have heard horror stories from a lot of people about it's new management

P.S. if I find the princess knight guy's petition I will sign not because I want princess knight but because I think truly old anime (aka around 15 years old and older) is really under appreciated. and I think that people need to respect the classics a lot more (which might explain why I work on a 13 year old anime series that will never get a US release or subs because it is old, toei, a mystery series, and is a actually endearingly popular in japan (the manga series have been happening for the past 18 years).
anime#1859
would you be willing to try and get the streaming rights for it if I got 2,500 signatures.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
That's not feedback, sounds more like mains hum, perhaps a ground loop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I think you really do not understand how popular the (to aru index/railgun) actually is. at my colleges anime club's when they did a friday night marathon (yes we do not have big social lives) it was the MOST attended event of the year. 5 of us became fans of the show after that and got copies of the fansub we where showing after the event. three of us are already saving our money for the releases that funi is going to put out

I have a serious question. Are... are you the Princess Knight guy? Be honest. Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
If I were to imagine what a real life conversation with Zin5ki would sound like, it would be that last segment, just with more English accent.

I wish you would've made everyone say their online names so we could ridicule them here when they asked a dumb question.

And is it me or was Justin really putting on a show for the audience? It just sounded like he was trying to be a showmen. Not saying it's bad, because he was funny, but he definitely sounded spicier than usual.

Anyways, I loved the show and hope you guys do another call out show soon for the people who don't live on the west coast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8