• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You Episode IV: A View Hope

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
yeah, wolf's rain is the best anime of the decade. it's too smart for most people

Or too poorly written for it's fans to see through it Rolling Eyes
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
yeah, wolf's rain is the best anime of the decade. it's too smart for most people
I never watched it because I thought it looked boring.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
mabber36 wrote:

Or too poorly written for it's fans to see through it Rolling Eyes
Cheza. Paradise. Cheza. Paradise. Cheza. Paradise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
You bring up a good point about Comiket and fans making the sexualized content where there is none, because the opposite is also true. Very sexualized and fanservicey shows like Kanokon or Ladies Versus Butlers don't received a whole lot doujinshi or attention because they already offer enough in show.

Whereas your nice and pure cutesy shows like Clannad will get torn apart with the amount of smut produced.

As for High School of the Dead, I'm not too sure everyone knows, but it's based off an equally fanserviced-ridden manga by a guy who primarily draws doujinshi. Sure, the anime could tone it down slightly, but it's at least a point to consider when complaining about breast jiggles.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well Zac,

1 - I actually greatly enjoy Hetalia, and just marathoned the first season with a girl from my anime club. Yes, girls actually - gasp - liking anime, as opposed to more drooling over the latest moe clone.

2 - we both also really like the English dub

3 - We watched it streaming off FUNimation's website...I have absolutely no intention of buying the DVD. I already "paid" for it, I watched the little embedded commercials. That's how "TV" works. Unless anime switches back from being a "collector's market" to "a mass entertainment market", the industry is doomed. There is nothing...."morally wrong" with watching legal streaming. No, the "proper" way to "watch anime" is not on DVD (you didn't say that, but at their con panels its weird how like, at Katsucon, they switched from talking about how great their video player is...and it is nice...to 10 minutes later lecturing the audience on how "we need to train the noobs that the right way to watch anime is on DVD". Well that sure helped Bandai Visual and Geneon, eh?

In short, Zac, make pasta, not war! Smile I don't understand why you need to be so negative about Hetalia. It brings happiness to so many, and is a successful show during what is an overall slump in the market.

And how can you *not* like America in Hetalia? He's the only sane man in a world gone mad.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
just marathoned the first season with a girl from my anime club.

HELL

YEAH

BRO

Photobucket

wait then you added this

Quote:

Yes, girls actually - gasp - liking anime, as opposed to more drooling over the latest moe clone.

all kidding aside this comment is so deeply ignorant of the gender makeup of anime fandom it makes me laugh
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
I don't understand why you need to be so negative about Hetalia. It brings happiness to so many, and is a successful show during what is an overall slump in the market.
Good lord, isn't it obvious he liked the show overall but it's the dub that he dislikes?

Quote:
And how can you *not* like America in Hetalia? He's the only sane man in a world gone mad.
Which is, well, practically the opposite of the intent of the original show.

P.S. To everyone-- I'm very sorry I'm harping so much about this one topic. It's still very fresh in my mind right now and it's something which I was very much anticipating; consequently, I am terribly disappointed at the moment.

Last edited by poonk on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Damn it, both Zac and Justin loved the Scott Pilgrim movie? I was excited before, now I'm glowing (ala Ramona's head) with excitement for the movie.

I so wanted to go to Otakon this year, but I didn't have the money and I don't hang out with the group I went with the times I did with any more. Maybe next year. The last day of Otakon was on my birthday, so maybe it was best I stayed at home, chilling with an ice cream cake. By myself... Sad

I have a sizeable anime DVD collection, and I watch pretty much everything I have every year. Sometimes I'll leave a title or two out and watch them the next year, but usually I rewatch it all. And I'll buy online usually, but sometimes I'll get things at Best Buy if I feel like impulse buying.

It's great to hear from Hope Chapman, who's probably my favorite reviewer.

Wolf's Rain was a disappointing show. It had amazing production values and great premises, but it fell apart after about the first twenty episodes. Bones has difficulty with the follow through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:

No it isn't, it's doesn't say anything, and only uses religious allegory because Evangelion made it look cool (to the Japanese, it just looks stupid to me). It's one of the most boring anime I have ever seen rivaling DearS. I would rather watch paint dry than watch that mess ever again.

As for fanservice, outside of Code Geass, I don't think theirs been a recent series that was trying to be serious, and constantly ruined it by showing people naked, or showing their cleavage, or by having the main character dress like the pope. I mean you really can't say the Gainax method of fanservice is really that distracting since it's generally appears during a lull or is passive in nature.

Personally unintentionally hilarious scenes such as Scar's past in the first FMA series where his brother is bleeding from his crotch is much more distracting. I never would have finished Code Geass if it wasn't for AS streaming, and the fact that I was constantly stopping it to add to the anime narm page on TVTropes.

I mean if you watch a show called "Bombshells from the sky" and are pissed off that their ruining the perfectly good show about Star Trek fans trying to kill catgirl aliens by having the Catgirl aliens wear fetish swimsuit outfits to a peace negotiation than your kind of stupid. If you don't want to watch Queen's Blade than don't warch Queen's Blade. I mean what's wrong with watching Heroman and occasionally Joey's hot teacher shows up? (Ms. Collins, not the science teacher who strips to his speedo during the beach episode)

Let's be blunt, people who do anime are trained to be entertaining not delve into philosophy, usually when writers try to be intelligent they either show their lack of knowledge (Seiji Mizushima), it's boring (Wolf's Rain), or they tell me to go outside while also telling me to buy their latest body pillow with 14 year olds wearing a latex outfit on it (Hideaki Anno). The rare product such as the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and Satoshi Kon flick is always going to be far and away. It's been the same thing since anime became an industry for enterainment purposes. I mean does Zeta Gundam really have anything to say? No, it's just an entertaining mecha series, no different from Gao Gai Gar, and Gurren Lagann.

Give me Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anyday of the week, it really doesn't say anything the manga doesn't, but the animation is some of the best I have ever seen, and good god am I having a blast while watching it.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Siouxsie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Zac, Hetalia is MEANT to be offensive. The added offensive jokes might be more enjoyable. There is reason why people enjoy South Park while others don't, it's offensive.

You know, I'm not going to put every episode of South Park up on a pedastal, but there is a place for satire in any intelligent culture. South Park depicts social issues to the point of absurdity in order to point out just how ridiculous something really is. For instance, the fact that we still have to deal with homophobia - that's absolutely ridiculous - it's a topic deserving of brutal criticism.

I think people offended by South Park are either ignorant to the objectives of satire, have a worldview that automatically deems certain things as evil (i.e. language, certain subtexts, etc.) or are part of the social problem being satirized.

Hetalia cannot be compared to the topics tackled by South Park.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:

Yes, girls actually - gasp - liking anime, as opposed to more drooling over the latest moe clone.

all kidding aside this comment is so deeply ignorant of the gender makeup of anime fandom it makes me laugh

er, I was kind of using a sarcastic tone, Zac. You guys at ANN know that there are lots of girls in fandom, but you'd be surprised at how many hardcore weirdos think "this is anime, stuff for girls is not" etc. Like that noitaminA block that wants to popularize Josei titles more, we need more of that. Sorry if it sounded like I was preaching to the choir, I was making an aside to the fanboys reading through this stuff (and I mean Gia *is* a female)

Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:
just marathoned the first season with a girl from my anime club.

HELL. YEAH. BRO

Nothing so drastic, sir. One of my staffers. We were also busy making more "fan made Evangelion special features and commentary" for ReVolutionOfEvangelion.org (expect massive infodumps right before the semester starts. A show of Eva's caliber deserves a better class of bonus features...)

Last edited by _V_ on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Quote:
Which is, well, practically the opposite of the intent of the original show.

Oh come on, how can America *not* be the "Straight Man" of Hetalia: Axis Powers? America's the only one that realizes the basic reality of the situation, i.e. the France will give up without a struggle, Russia is canon fodder, and that America himself is The Hero. A measured and sober assessment of the Allied Forces, sir. The other countries are crazy; why don't they just agree with America? He's the only one talking sense.

JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Oh come on, how can America *not* be the "Straight Man" of Hetalia: Axis Powers? America's the only one that realizes the basic reality of the situation, i.e. the France will give up without a struggle, Russia is canon fodder, and that America himself is The Hero. A measured and sober assessment of the Allied Forces, sir. The other countries are crazy; why don't they just agree with America? He's the only one talking sense.

...........?

America, while getting off a lot easier than I thought he/it might all things considered, is supposed to be the baby of the bunch.

His voice, in Japanese, is childish, although a grown man is playing it and trying to force the cute lil' boy speech mannerisms so it just sounds annoooooying. In English, from the clips I saw, he sounds like a hyperactive dumbass 13-year old. In either case, he's supposed to be the most willfully ignorant and arrogant of the group. Not the stupidest, necessarily, but a terrible excuse for a leader that puts himself in the leader position because he's the youngun and wants attention. If anyone does NOT have it together, it's Captain America thar.

The point sir, you have missed it. You have overshot the helipad by several hundred miles. o3o

The "straight man" of Hetalia is Germany, straight up. The Allies don't have a straight man. And if we were to go by the secondary definition, there are no straight men in Hetalia. (HEYO~!) Very Happy
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
During the fan service decision I was just waiting for someone to mention Strike Witches. As a big fan of the series I think anyone who would try and play the fan service off as comedy is deluding themselves. But I also honestly didn't notice certain aspects I really and truly like the characterization if it was just a heavy fan service show like Kanokon I wouldn't get so defensive but maybe that's just the hardcore Moe defender in me.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
On Funimation rewrites:
Frankly, I don't think that the folks at Funimation are good writers, period. Whenever they outright rewrite dialogue from scratch (as opposed to reworking sub dialogue to fit an English performance), it seems to be really bad, lazy humor or just badly written cliches. I can't really watch the first FMA dub anymore, because too much of the dub dialogue is not just totally rewritten, but rewritten badly. It hits right at the opening, when Ed is narrating dialogue like, "But that night, we learned that some things can't be measured!" *groan*. It's mostly their older dubs that suffer from this, though (I like the Brotherhood dub!)

On Scott Pilgrim:
The samples of the comic I've read on their website were great, the trailers are great, and Zac and Justin's enthusiasm is great. I rarely go to the theaters for something just I want to watch, but this may just get me out of the house.

On collecting:
I still buy a lot of DVD's simply because a lot of the older stuff isn't available any other way, but if a show is streaming it certainly drops to the bottom of my buying list just because I can get it elsewhere. My checklist is less a matter of stuff I feel the need to own than a matter of stuff I feel the need to watch (as the 261 want to see shows on my profile can attest).

On best/worst movie ever reactions:
It's difficult to be super-critical of movies after seeing Turkish Star Wars. Razz

Last edited by Copyrighted Name on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13