• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino BLURAY

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
First up, Il Teatrino suffers from being not as good as the first series. But without this comparison, it's actually not bad.

Including the OVA is win, and I hope they do the same if they reissue the DVD.

Where this review went wrong:
I think the terrorist were supposed to be more sympathetic than the SWA. Part of that whole moral ambiguity thing this show has going.
Negative points for going with the idiot dub writers and calling Franca "Flanca". Franca is a real name, and is obviously to be paired with Franco. "Flanca" is a weird bit of Engrish comparable to the American idiots who call the hero of Hellsing "Arucard".
Review fails to point out that after the obvious animation problems of the first couple of episodes, the quality evens out and there are some good action scenes.
The DVD release extra was one (out of five) interview/game segment. It wasn't that good, and wasn't complete, so having the OVA is the definitely better option.
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The girls' reactions to their lives as cyborgs do develop and the eerie implication that Henrietta sees Guise as more of a would-be boyfriend than a brother as she grows is a halting note to start the series on.

I don't feel like this really was as much of a would-be romance as the the review implies. Henrietta and Guise's relationship, if it were between close siblings with an age discrepancy as large as theirs, would include hugging and handholding I think. But Henrietta and Guise aren't that close to have any sibling "skinship". Hence the scenes.

Absent from mention are the changes in Triella and Hillshire's relationship brought on from Triella's feelings of inadequacy when fighting Pinocchio. She has always had a rocky, distant relationship with her handler and doesn't know how to react when he begins shows deep concern for her. If you want an example of a fratello pair that seems to be wavering towards a couple I'd watch them more closely in the later episodes.

I'd also like to say that Gunslinger Girl (both seasons) is one of those few anime I actually prefer the English dub for.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
...Negative points for going with the idiot dub writers and calling Franca "Flanca". Franca is a real name, and is obviously to be paired with Franco. "Flanca" is a weird bit of Engrish comparable to the American idiots who call the hero of Hellsing "Arucard"...

This was gone over in an ANNcast episode months ago. The Japanese licensors actually insisted on the rendering of Alucard's name as "Arucard" in the subs and Geneon had to fight tooth and nail for permission to pronounce it with an L in the dubs. Licensing intellectual property is odd terrain in general, and Japanese IP holders are internationally notorious for being fickle, controlling, and downright unreasonable.

A similar situation could very well be the underlying reason for the transliteration of "Franca" as "Flanca" in the "Il Teatrino" subs. Responsible reviewers who don't wish to indulge in pedantic digressions about the minutiae of subtitling licensed intellectual property are best served by using the "official" transliterations/translations of names and any other idiosyncratically rendered words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2