• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Radio Show Lists Top 10 Anime Heroine Finalists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Pretty good list. My vote will go for Fate.

NO. I COULDN'T TELL WITH THE FATE ICON. Razz
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
List fails without Nausicaä.

In fact, we seem to be missing a few notables. Sailor Moon. Lina Inverse. Shana. Chise. Maetel. Lum. Oscar François de Jarjayes. And there are quite a few that don't belong. First IDOLM(at)STER can be discarded because it is nothing but moe-claptrap. While I love Haruhi, she is not a heroine, and should be discarded. And if the quality of an heroine is to be well, heroic, then We can toss out Yui, since there is nothing heroic about hanging out and drinking tea (Also, she is the most boring of all the girls on that show). I stopped watching Bleach around the 60th episode, but from what I remember Rukia spent most of the air time imprisoned. Doesn't sound heroic to me. And I'm disqualifing Misaka on the grounds I f$%*ing hate that show. And why Fate over Nanoha? Fate spends the entire franchise playing second fiddle to Nanoha, except in the start when she is the villain. Don't get me wrong, I think she is a better character, but she is not more heroic. Oh, well, these top ten lists always suck when they the plebs vote on them.

Personally, I would put one Yasuoka Shion on the top, but I imagine the response to that would mostly be 'who?'
Gayjopa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Content removed for using profanity and being extremely insulting. - Key]
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Rather than no-earlier than the 90's these are mostly no earlier than this year in terms of popularity.

Madoka = Theatrical release
Eva = Theatrical release ticket pre-sales
K-ON = recent enough Theatrical release
Bleach = I'm not sure if it's still going, but it was at some point this year I guaruntee Razz
Nanoha = Theatrical Release (I'm seeing a pattern here)
Sakura = Recent anticipated Blu-Ray release

Should I even bother continuing?

I think there should be criteria of only 1 character per series, and they have to really count as a Heroine (I don't really count Haruka as a hero character or an ubermajor lead character/heroine, she is one of a notably large variety of sub-main characters and doesn't really do much to stand out in my own opinion. I mean she has a bit more focus in some episodes, but so does everyone else, Chihaya is more of a heroine out of the bunch if I had to choose).

I am a little saddened there is no Utena or the like. (Heck not even Shana or one of the lovely ladies of the Key titles)
That being said I like all of the characters on this list Razz (Rukia counts because she is one of the better characters in a show I don't like. Likewise with Rei) bar Railgun lady. Haven't seen it, haven't found a reason to yet.

Quote:
So you're judging a character from a show with over 500 chapters by what you say in just 60? Are you a fuсking idiot?

So when a surveyor takes a sample of people (say... I dunno, 60 of 500) he's an idiot? He has to waste his time on 500 people when he sees little reason to believe he'll get a wildly different result?
I guess so.

Last edited by Sylontack on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ribby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
If Sailor Moon didn't make the cut, my vote goes to Sakura Kinomoto.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
In fact, we seem to be missing a few notables. Sailor Moon.

Agreed. Amazing that the main heroine of such a large franchise that is still very active (New summer 2013 anime) is absolutely ignored.

I think the list would be better called "Top 10 anime heroines of the past 10 years." since it seems that all the characters come from shows either originated in the past decade, or have had some sort of theater release in the same period.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
these are 10 female to pick give 8 of them are from 2000s era while other 2 are from 90s?

no other females from the 90s or even 80s yea either this list is missing some other (give i'm like still where the Lacus) oh boy among those 10 at least like 6 or 7 of them are high favs to get top female.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
That sure is a non-representative list. Forget most of the character coming from the 2000's, most of those characters only came into existence within the past 5 years. I've never really understood Japan's tendency to just bullshit like this. Why even try to claim it's about selecting the number 1 heroine from the last 50 years, just call it another waifu selection.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I disagree with both of you. If anyone here doesn't fit, it's Kuchiki Rukia, as the rest of the list is a pretty solid MAI WAIFU selection. Even Haruhi Suzumiya and Misaka Mikoto fit that by being super tsundere. (To be fair, I have never had any interest in seeing Idolm@ster, so I only asume Haruka fits the demure flower mold on account of knowing it's based on a game where you act as a manager who grooms pop idols).

It's a different IDOLM@STER but the one I'm watching has Haruki Amami, still a singer, as a pilot in a giant mecha. Same thing, I suppose? It's a silly but I have been looking forward to each episode. It's not as if she'll win, but she certainly matches any "heroine" defintion.

Rei? Rei doesn't do enough to be the Evangelion heroine, the only reason she rates above "corpse" is the fact she breathes. Occasionally...

Fate's disqualifed as she isn't the heroine as that isn't her show {is being an anitheroine possible?}. Nanoha, on the other hand, yes. But she's not there.

Madoka, Homura? Well, combined they're the heroine, yeah, but seperately they don't fit. In the end, Homura didn't sacrifice anything {as being who she is kind of negates anything on her part} and Madoka's the exact opposite; She rates as one of the greatest heroes, for one moment, one decision. Still, that doesn't make a series...

I'll have to go with Yui from K-On. Why? Because I watch K-On for her. Japan, you didn't nominate Mio and for that, I'm ... surprised.

Mikoto's pretty good too but her cast, apart from Kuoroko, is kind of lame.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
List fails without Nausicaä.

Looking at the list, I suspect the nominees may have been restricted to those from TV series.
Max465

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Mikoto is the only girl on this list I even care about.

I'd go so far as to say this is closer to a list of my least favorite heroines exceptions Rukia, Sakura, and obviously Mikoto. I'll admit I haven't seen Nanoha, and my feelings for Haruhi and Yui go closer to indifference than hatred, but still.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
First IDOLM(at)STER can be discarded because it is nothing but moe-claptrap.

So characters should be disqualified just because a random foreigner doesn't like a series he probably has never even seen? I'm sorry, but Idolmaster is one of the biggest franchises in the fandom since 2005 when it spawned from the original Arcade game, and theres good reason why. The anime itself is as close to a true Gainax anime since TTGL, since its got all the old Gainax people working on it and its got one of the best animation budgets of anything the last couple years. Its hardly a "Moe-claptrap".. theres a lot of love put into the franchise, since like K-On, its a top level moe franchise.

Melanchthon wrote:
And why Fate over Nanoha? Fate spends the entire franchise playing second fiddle to Nanoha, except in the start when she is the villain.

Fate is over Nanoha since she's ALWAYS been the most popular character from that franchise. Nanoha is pretty much your average magical girl character, but Fate is the unique one in the series... she has far more character development through the series than Nanoha ever did. If any character would get the votes, it would be Fate. She is one of my top 5 anime girls myself, and I wouldn't put Nanoha even in the top 30.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
A heroine list without Major Motoko from GITS fails miserably in my opinion. Homura is the only one i actually care for from this list.
GYRAX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
I know what I'm getting into when I read these polls, so I don't get surprised too often, but it would've been be nice if they at least had one Miyazaki heroine on this list. :3

Last edited by GYRAX on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Like most on here, I never really care for these sort of lists, but yeah, in my personal opinion, any best female heroine list without Lina Inverse is invalid. Ah well, considering there's only one character on this list I even really like (though, admittedly, I'm not terribly familiar with 4 of them), guess I just have different tastes as far as heroines go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4