• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Announces Online Shonen Jump Supplement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
So this is the big news that Viz announced? I'm not really surprised that they are offering Shonen Jump online, as many magazines nowadays have online subscriptions as well.

So we aren't gonna here any big news in regards to having Hitman Reborn! with a dub on TV right?

It's streaming/simulcasting on CrunchyRoll legally isn't it? I think that's pretty big and licensed. I imagine VIZ might give it a go sometime, but the manga doesn't seem very popular [compared to say, InuYasha or CaseClosed]. And this is speculation talking- I figure it's more likely if it ever gets a dvd release, it'll be a subonly version from Sentai Filmworks, who's done Eyesheild 21 and Gintama in that style.

It seems to have been more of a case of some Reborn fans making some wild guesses.

Wait, what?

Anyway, anybody actually expecting this announcement to be related to REBORN! or to a single license in the first place didn't pay attention to the clues. The licensing of a single series wouldn't "change everything" in any way. Especially not REBORN! it's just another run of the mill SJ series. That's aside from the point, but there really wouldn't be anything about licensing it that would "change everything". Sorry.

Either way, if this is the big announcement it's about as lame as changing everything can be. Guess that was to be expected.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
If they can start publishing the up to date weekly chapters to their site for the major Jump manga series, I'd subscribe to them in a heartbeat and abandon the off-brand sources, like I have with the Naruto and One Piece anime.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I know Marvel and DC are planning similar items. I think the eventual goal (Here's hoping) is to use the digital media via portable tablets and the like to replace print magazines should it be seen as an option. Saving a crapload of money in printing.

Marvel already has one, and it's pretty healthy.

The Distinguished Competition on the other hand doesn't.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
[quote="Revolutionary"]
Paploo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
So this is the big news that Viz announced? I'm not really surprised that they are offering Shonen Jump online, as many magazines nowadays have online subscriptions as well.

So we aren't gonna here any big news in regards to having Hitman Reborn! with a dub on TV right?

It's streaming/simulcasting on CrunchyRoll legally isn't it? I think that's pretty big and licensed. I imagine VIZ might give it a go sometime, but the manga doesn't seem very popular [compared to say, InuYasha or CaseClosed]. And this is speculation talking- I figure it's more likely if it ever gets a dvd release, it'll be a subonly version from Sentai Filmworks, who's done Eyesheild 21 and Gintama in that style.

It seems to have been more of a case of some Reborn fans making some wild guesses.

Wait, what?/quote]

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-29/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-october-17-23
Case Closed is a NYTimes best selling series. Given it's latest volume outsold Bleach, it's probably still selling thousands of copies of each volume, and looks to be one of VIZ's bigger sellers. Yeah, I was surprised too- but it's a fun series that's had TV/dvd exposure, with a lot of appeal to kids, so it's not that big of surprise. I'm guessing up til now it's floated below the NYT list.

And yeah, a big license isn't a move that changes everything- it's news, but it seems VIZ's rollout of both a ShonenJump digital subscription and a Ipad application are what they were hinting at.

Also, Marvel/DC aren't abandoning print and neither is VIZ. They're just adding more formats in a way that'll reach new fans. It's a good movie.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Case Closed is a NYTimes best selling series. Given it's latest volume outsold Bleach, it's probably still selling thousands of copies of each volume, and looks to be one of VIZ's bigger sellers. Yeah, I was surprised too- but it's a fun series that's had TV/dvd exposure, with a lot of appeal to kids, so it's not that big of surprise. I'm guessing up til now it's floated below the NYT list.
It's not that big. The last numbers I can find for it having it do 1/3rd of what bleach did annually in 2007 and for some odd reason, it hasn't appeared since.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Wait, what?

Anyway, anybody actually expecting this announcement to be related to REBORN! or to a single license in the first place didn't pay attention to the clues. The licensing of a single series wouldn't "change everything" in any way. Especially not REBORN! it's just another run of the mill SJ series. That's aside from the point, but there really wouldn't be anything about licensing it that would "change everything". Sorry.

Either way, if this is the big announcement it's about as lame as changing everything can be. Guess that was to be expected.

I wasn't expecting the announcement to only be about Reborn, or anything, but I wish Viz would explain what their doing with the series. They were promoting it in the November issue, and I can't imagine Viz of all companies, promoting something their considering giving the axe to, not to mention that unless other legal issues arise(which given it's popularity in Japan we'd have likely heard of), Viz is legally obligated to finish releasing it...here's to hoping we'll get clarity eventually.

As for the actual announcement...it's pretty interesting. I'll be keeping up with Nura, and since I never did get far in Toriko, this may be a good place to start. I'm also glad Psyren's being added to the magazine. It's one of the best mangas in JUMP no matter what the polls say(I will never understand how people can think it's crap).
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that the Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan should offer online weekly updates (in various languages) for people who pay a monthly fee or something. I stopped buying Shonen Jump, because i don't read half of the titles in it now and it's a month wait for one or a few chapters. I would read for probably 20-30 minutes and then it's somewhere in my room collecting dust. -__- If it's the latest updates and also past chapters of manga i would surely pay for it. They could go the crunchyroll road. Very Happy It doesn't have to stop at shonen jump, it could be a coalition of different companies and their manga!

Whatever happened to OpenManga? Wasn't that supposed to be launched in October? :/
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for my latest issue to come in the mail and I'm a subscriber. I hate when it comes late (Was supposed to last Monday for me). Anyway this is good news. As many people noticed the magazine's quality has been going down due to the economy (350+ pages to 250+, cutting/shortening sections, going from 7 manga to 4 every month), so this lets them put more stuff in almost with very low costs. Glad they apparently got the Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan manga! Smile Been watching the simulcasts on VIZAnime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2