• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Posting 6 Pokémon Images Before Games Shipped

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, an arrest for this seems awfully extreme. I can understand knocking on the guy's door and handing him a court summons, but to haul him away seems a bit much.

But more than anything I'm surprised these cops even knew enough to investigate these images rather than just dismiss them as more Pokemon pics on the internet. I'm betting they were either tipped off and are keeping quite about it because it makes them look good for solving such a "high profile crime", or they were looking through Pokemon news for personal reasons on work time and are using the whole "cyber patrol" thing as an excuse.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whoomp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kyon27 wrote:
Whoomp wrote:

The japanese police seem to have gotten their priorities completely screwed up and instead of solving real crimes they are running petty errands for big corporations. This is insane.

Ok, I'm kind of tired of the stock response to an article like this being, "Don't the cops have real crimes to solve?" Or something similar. Believe it or not, police organizations have multiple divisions which focus on many different kinds of crimes. They are capable of focusing on more than one at a time.

Furthermore, it is their job to enforce all laws, not just the "serious" ones. So don't commit crime, regardless of how minor, and they won't come knockin' at your door. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. If you do something like this guy did, or distribute fansubs/scanlations and the cops come to arrest you, go ahead and tell them they should be out catching "real criminals" instead of arresting you. Maybe it'll work. Rolling Eyes

Well of course I know about divisions, it is even stated in the article. What bugs me more than the law is enforced is that it can be used in such a way. It's a waste of resources, especially since this doesn't do anything more than feed Nintendos bigotry of knowing that they could enforce laws if they please to do so instead of always being enforced whenever there are an offense.

He took cellphone pictures of some Pokémons and posted online, these pictures would have been made available to the public and legal to spread just a few days after this. How is this any different from all the other leaks that the industry these days are having left and right? I also don't get your comparison to fansubs/scanlations, most fans are aware (to some degree) that it's not legal. I hardly think that many know that taking pictures of something "secret" is an offense.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm more shocked that he got arrested over Chaoboo. I mean, getting arrested over ANOTHER pokemon wouldn't be so bad, but Chaoboo makes it an extra slap in the face. The thing looks so dumb! Razz
Melinda-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
He released material before the company was going to officially releases it. I am very sure that broke some confidentiality policies with the company. Ah well. He was just a part-time employee. Even if he doesn't go to jail, I am very sure they'll fire him and get someone who would actually read the contract before signing it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Pokemons: Serious [expletive] business apparently.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The company is being very secretive about Black/White this time around. To the point where websites have been asked not to put advance pictures on their pages and how the OP of Best Wishes has many of Pokemon shadowed out before they become revealed on the show. I'm not exactly sure why though.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Also, apparently they made the games more difficult to crack, thus making the information dump take a little longer to arrive. It was still cracked (proven by the simulator that's been running for about month), but it was more difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Dear, Japan:

This is why the rest of the world is happy you have a low birth rate. You incarcerate people for some cartoons that have zero creativity to it.

When I read "27 year old PART-TIME company worker" I felt bad. Doesn't the man have it bad enough already?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Dear, Japan:

This is why the rest of the world is happy you have a low birth rate. [...]

As ridiculous as this case strikes me, I'm thinking you might have crossed a line with this one.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
What tone did you read it in? Did you read it with a George Carlin tone or a racist bigot tone? I was shooting for George Carlin.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
More of a New Hampshire Democratic State Representative Nickolas Levasseur tone. With a old, gravely George Carlin, it does sound a bit better. Carry on. Smile
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
[quote="bayoab"]
Dessa wrote:
I'm wondering if this is related to why PokeBeach and Serebii.net had to remove their images, and why Bulbapedia and others were not.
Those two sites were using roms of the game for their info.

Correction they were using pictures all ready released on the internet and available info at the time even before the roms were leaked.

But seriously this news is insane, their is no Copyright that is broken here especially if Nintendo is taking things out of proportion(or the Police or both parties involved) remember Review Companies get the games first so they can review it things might be even more differently in Japan in that area for all we know. Furthormore the 2 anime chars in Best Wishes if they mean the two companion's ash is with they were shown on the Net way before that in a sketch form(if I recall)

But things with Black and White both game and anime form is so bizarre regardless, heck this is the first time to my knowledge someone getting arrested for posting leaks, hell news stations do it all the time tv or internet stations for movies or whatever and no arrests so what the hell?
otimus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Surely none of you genuinely believe someone should be arrested for posting pictures of a pokemon, do you?

We're all on board with this being a bad misuse of the law, right?

I just don't want anyone comparing this to fansubs, piracy, or the like. Because that would be wrong. People should have moral compasses sometimes, you know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Yeah, an arrest for this seems awfully extreme. I can understand knocking on the guy's door and handing him a court summons, but to haul him away seems a bit much.

Indeed. Why arrest him?

Sounds more like a civil matter (breach of contract due to NDA?) than criminal, anyway. Otherwise any photo with a logo in the background would constitute copyright infringement, surely?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Correction they were using pictures all ready released on the internet and available info at the time even before the roms were leaked.

Correction: When Serebii first started doing his walkthrough he was using snapshots off of a ROM so he could use pictures to show what he was talking about. So while he was playing a copy he bought legally, using pictures from an illegal source are what got him in trouble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2