• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Clarifies Tenchi License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastertr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
MarcFBR wrote:
The list is actually wrong...

They have all 3 movies. They just released them...

It seems that Funimation did release the three movies as a Blu-ray/DVD collection last month.
I have not seen it myself but both Right Stuf and Amazon show it as being in stock.

I can confirm this. BestBuy had the DVD/BD combo pack at my last visit. Funimation might not hold the "full" rights though, since I believe I read in another ANN post a while back that they were being released in Japan with the English dub and subs as well. This is just a complete guess though, as to why Funimation wouldn't include those in their list and not to be taken to be truth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
The first and second OVA's were also titled "Ryo-ohki".
The "Mihoshi Special" was a stand-alone episode tacked on the end of the first OVA as bonus extra, but only on the VHS singles, which I still have collecting dust on my shelf. Controversially it was allegedly a pilot for both "Pretty Sammy" and "Tenchi Universe", A quick check on Amazon shows it connected to the first Pretty Sammy OVA on DVD which they say is OOP.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
MarcFBR wrote:
The list is actually wrong...

They have all 3 movies. They just released them...

It seems that Funimation did release the three movies as a Blu-ray/DVD collection last month.
I have not seen it myself but both Right Stuf and Amazon show it as being in stock.

And RACS.

Funimation did publish all three Tenchi movies last month in a DVD/BD combo set that streeted on Dec 18th. I think their lack of inclusion on the list cited by ANN is just an oversight.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

They are just using the American titles for the OVA series. Pioneer dropped the last bit from their release and companies have been following suit to prevent consumer confusion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

They are just using the American titles for the OVA series. Pioneer dropped the last bit from their release and companies have been following suit to prevent consumer confusion.
Tenchi Muyo? Consumer confusion? Surely not. Laughing
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
OtakuKitten wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I know right? Growing up in a small rural town with hardly any computers I had a heck of a time trying to learn more about this franchise. Thankfully Pioneer's boxset for the first OVA series came with that amazing encyclopedia of of everything up until 2000. (Or at least when the set was released. I can't remember when I got it.)
BigKwell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Now all that there's left is 'Mihoshi Special', 'Pretty Sammy OVA' and 'Magical Project S'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
BigKwell wrote:
Now all that there's left is 'Mihoshi Special', 'Pretty Sammy OVA' and 'Magical Project S'.

FUNi wouldn't try to sell one episode by itself, would they?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BigKwell wrote:

I doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised, if Funi ever picked up the license, if they were all placed together in one collection, or released them like how Pioneer did (Pretty Sammy OVA/Mihoshi Special on one release, Magical Project S on another).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
OtakuKitten wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

My LDs for OVA1 and OVA2 have "Ryo-ohki" on them. Admittedly, the OVA1 LD sleeves are the Japanese sleeves (no English on them at all), but once they got to OVA #7 and then OVA2, it was there in a font that I could read. ^^
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I think I will wait for funimation to release the ultimate Tenchi blu-ray harem box set, comprising of everything tenchi, until then I will wait
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Darn, well maybe they'll expand their license over time, probably not, but I can dream... *sigh*
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BigKwell wrote:

I doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised, if Funi ever picked up the license, if they were all placed together in one collection, or released them like how Pioneer did (Pretty Sammy OVA/Mihoshi Special on one release, Magical Project S on another).

I would LOVE to see a complete Pretty Sammy (plus the random Mihoshi Special) package! Then my Funi Tenchi collection would be complete!
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Isn't El Hazard part of the Tenchi universe? Hmm I guess the series just reference Tenchi but thats it?

No. Hayashi-san, who directed TM!R OVA 1, directed El Hazard, which accounts for some of the similar feelings of the characters.

As to Photon and Dual!, while these are creations of Kajishima-sensei, and he has stated that all his creations are connected at the corner, they aren't part of the Tenchi Muyo! canon storyline, thus aren't considered "Tenchi" even though they share similar elements. That said, it is a shame they haven't been license rescued.

I rather doubt FUNimation licenses the Pretty Sammy TV series. Since Pioneer only created a subtitle version of the show, FUNimation would have to spend extra money to dub it. Considering the age of the show and the fact that it wasn't that popular in the US, I doubt they'd want to spend what it would take to produce a dub.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
OtakuKitten wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The relations graph Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3