• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lots of proof why Doraemon is banned in the U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay...just for the sake of argument, what group or organization exactly is it that you believe has 'banned' these shows? What I'm asking is, who exactly makes the decision that a show is to be banned and why exactly do they do this?

The Illuminati, of course.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
1. When Viz Media, the licensor, reviewed the mangas in the first place, it turned out to have large amounts of crude humor and perverted moments, so they refused classification.

Books do not require classification, even if they did - Viz is not a classification body. Doraemon is also a kids series - I cannot believe it is all that crude.

Quote:
Same thing for the TV series. When I looked at many episodes, they appeared to have content that would be beyond inappropriate for younger viewers.

If you were talking about the UK and the BBFC had refused classification then you may have a point.. but are you really saying that this kid's show is on the level of LA Blue Girl? The worst that could happen is that the distributor may be required to make cuts to certain episodes if they want to acheive a particular rating, if passing it uncut would require a higher rating than they desire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jonghyunchung

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even granting that all your premises are true, there is absolutely nothing banning it from the US.

Quote:
The reason the show hasn't been licensed yet is because the companies that license anime (i.e. Funimation, Media Blasters, Bandai etc) might not think the show will sell well in the US and don't want to risk losing money on that.

Quote:
That doesn't mean that these titles are banned, just that companies aren't distributing them because they don't feel that it would be an investment that is worth it in the end.

Are all of these controversies just like Disney's Song of the South not available on VHS/DVD in the US?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay...just for the sake of argument, what group or organization exactly is it that you believe has 'banned' these shows? What I'm asking is, who exactly makes the decision that a show is to be banned and why exactly do they do this?

Yes! Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

no, no,
The Funilluminati
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
rojse wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

no, no,
The Funilluminati

Oh. My. God.

It all makes sense now!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
Are all of these controversies just like Disney's Song of the South not available on VHS/DVD in the US?

No, they don't sell that anymore because they don't want to be sued over the extremely racist ideals that it presents and Disney (the creators) don't want it to be released. Also, Song of the South isn't "Banned", Disney just doesn't want to sell it.

Doraemon isn't sold in the U.S. because not very few people are actually going to buy it. It's not banned, it's just that no company wants to waste there money on it when they could distribute titles that actually will sell.

Here's a good example. Angel's Egg isn't released in North America, even though it's a well known anime in Japan. But it's not because of it's controversial topics, but rather because there's no market for such an artsy anime. By contrast, Neon Genesis Evangelion, despite it's controversial topics and explicit content, is widely distributed in North America. This is because Eva actually has a very large market. I'm pretty sure most people would agree that Eva, with it's constant sexual content (including the famous opening scene of End of Evangelion spoiler[where Shinji masterbates over the unconscious body of Asuka ]) and large levels of violence, would agree that it is far more inappropriate and controversial than Doraemon. And that's a very tame example. Let alone things like Shadow Star Narutaru, Elfen Lied, AD Police Files, Speed Grapher, Violence Jack, ext. Heck I'd even say that Grave of the Fireflies would have sparked more controversy than Doraemon would.

Again, Doraemon is not, by any means, banned in the U.S. To drive the point home I will provide the definition of the word "ban". Merriam Webster defines "ban" as "to prohibit especially by legal means; to prohibit the us, performance, or distribution of." I'm 99.999% sure that the U.S. has passed no laws to prohibit the the use, performance, or distribution of Doraemon. So no, it is not banned, it is simply not distributed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
rojse wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

no, no,
The Funilluminati

The Funi Masons!
excaliber736

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Banned? Highly unlikely because shows like When They Cry, Gantz are okay to sell in the US, then I doubt Doraemon will ever be banned.

Haven't you heard? In America, gratuitous amounts of graphic violence are perfectly reasonable but a centimetre of exposed flesh constitutes the work of the devil.
jonghyunchung

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I'm 99.999% sure that the U.S. has passed no laws to prohibit the the use, performance, or distribution of Doraemon. So no, it is not banned, it is simply not distributed.

But its creators, after passing copyright law, ARE prohibiting use, performance, AND distribution of it on YouTube, and in this case, even to the US.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
To think this thread would never have existed if someone had access to a dictionary. Doraemon is banned in the US much as I am banned from making 250K a year.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Angel's Egg isn't released in North America, even though it's a well known anime in Japan. But it's not because of it's controversial topics, but rather because there's no market for such an artsy anime.

It's not that there's no market (I'd certainly buy it), more that there probably isn't enough of a market, though maybe it would do well with an arthouse crowd outside of anime fans.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
jonghyunchung wrote:
But its creators, after passing copyright law, ARE prohibiting use, performance, AND distribution of it on YouTube, and in this case, even to the US.

Again, you're misunderstanding. They're taking it off of Youtube because those videos are unauthorized uploads and violate copyright laws. People uploaded them without getting permission form the copyright holders, and so the holders are merely protecting their own copyrights by making them take those videos down. It's not a ban, it's a reaction to unauthorized distribution.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
rojse wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

no, no,
The Funilluminati

The Funi Masons!

BTW- LOL
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
From what I skimmed, it looks like three ideas are being tossed around. It's banned, not licensed, or legalities. Um no wonder the Illuminati joke spurred out of nowhere. Although, think he was serious. Anyway, the answer isn't that hard:

1. Go the the corresponding website (preferably, a Japanese website)
2. Look up the status of the anime. That means do work.
3. Case closed. Only one answer. Not that hard. Find a translator if you have to.

If the website says its banned because of x, y, and z, then it is banned only because of x, y, and z.
If the anime is not being licensed, its not licensed.
If there are legal issues involved, legal issues.

If it's none of the above, then its because of something else and that makes this thread well bs. Actually, approximately 2/3 of thread already is because there is only one answer and it isn't up for discussion since the answer is factual. Since you are all so interested, go look it up and stop guessing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3