• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Producer of 4°C-Animated ThunderCats Interviewed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
OMG, what have they done to Lion-O's hair! It's pink-red! Hope they don't make him emo-girly! And what'd they do to Cheetara! At least she'll still be naked in the first episode. Shocked

I kid. Haven't really watched the series since its original airing. Laughing

But at least have half the women talk like classic Cheetara monotone for old time's sake, right?

Emerje wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
My prediction is that it will go down the same as the He-man remake that aired in Cartoon Network a few years ago.

He-Man's failures had everything to do with Mattel. The fans were there, but they completely botched distribution of the toys to the point that they couldn't turn back.

Yep, when Mattel ended funding because the toys weren't selling, there went the final season.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 am Reply with quote
Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! ThunderCats, HOOOOOOO!
ThunderCats are on the move, ThunderCats are loose!

I watched this show all the time back in the mid 80s when it was still new. Same for its companion show SilverHawks (anybody remember that one?). I also tuned in when CN broadcast the two shows on Toonami back in 2000. Classic 80s action toons with great intros.

I'm definitely going to check out the new ThunderCats once it comes out. Hopefully it turns out good. At the very least it should have an intro that does the original justice.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:

I watched this show all the time back in the mid 80s when it was still new. Same for its companion show SilverHawks (anybody remember that one?).

Tallyho!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe this time we will finally find out what a samoflange is. Smile
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
My prediction is that it will go down the same as the He-man remake that aired in Cartoon Network a few years ago.

Please never mention that tragedy again Crying or Very sad
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Where the hell's that little pudgy bastard Snarf?

And I saw some of Silverhawks, been a while though.

I hope the bloopers are as much fun as the original's.

"Keep your foot off that blasted samophlange!"
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
My dream came true. I said many years ago during my "nerdy" HS days when me and the boys used to talk about 'TC', that if the Japanese ever got their hands on it they could do a much better job with the story line.

This isn't an anime, though, it's more fake-anime like Teen Titans and Totally Spies. It's animated by Studio 4C, but so was that awful Transformers Animated show. Boondocks is animated by Madhouse (sometimes). They have nothing to do with the writing. Companies seem to think just being animated by a Japanese studio gives it 'street cred' or makes it 'anime' or something. Can't say I'm interested in more of that kind of stuff, since 99% of it is awful. And since the guy behind CN is in charge, I'm even more doubtful. CN hasn't had anything worth watching in years.

The original show was really bad; everyone had William Shatner esque levels of bad voice acting and the plot was non-existent after the first few episodes. Sure, the Turtles remake improved on the 80s show, but that's not saying much since shows from the 80s were all kinds of bad, and the new Turtles became just as bad as the 80s in the end anyway.

Must be a slow news day if we're talkin' about Americanime Razz
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Never been a fan of the old show, so unless it has Iron Man: Armored Adventures tier storytelling, I'll probably pass (that show managed to make me like something Iron Man related considering how well they changed everything - or should I say comic book related in general)

Sadly, it'll probably be more in line with Teen Titans though Embarassed

Last edited by Jessica Hart on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! ThunderCats, HOOOOOOO!

I still wonder how that euphemism for ejaculation made it in Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

This isn't an anime, though, it's more fake-anime like Teen Titans and Totally Spies. It's animated by Studio 4C, but so was that awful Transformers Animated show. Boondocks is animated by Madhouse (sometimes). They have nothing to do with the writing. Companies seem to think just being animated by a Japanese studio gives it 'street cred' or makes it 'anime' or something. Can't say I'm interested in more of that kind of stuff, since 99% of it is awful. And since the guy behind CN is in charge, I'm even more doubtful. CN hasn't had anything worth watching in years.

The original show was really bad; everyone had William Shatner esque levels of bad voice acting and the plot was non-existent after the first few episodes. Sure, the Turtles remake improved on the 80s show, but that's not saying much since shows from the 80s were all kinds of bad, and the new Turtles became just as bad as the 80s in the end anyway.

Well, obviously this is for those people who liked those shows you mentioned. If you were never in that 80's campy stuff, why expect them to change what kept the series memorable to those people in the first place? There's an 80's revival nowadays, so many stuff people are nostalgic for are getting remade.

(And some shows the Japanese studios had input on.)
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I so watched this as a kid all the time and watch it now on Teletoon Retro Anime hyper I also watch plenty of other eighties shows as I collect most of the girl eighties toys. I will see howthis re-vamp goes Anime hyper

I blame Mattel for lots of things regarding Rainbow Brite but mostly Hallmark.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL

Yeah, I know. but it was a fun romp. Man I'd like to know who the original VAs were and WHY they did the voices like that. It's like watching a Kung-fu movie dunned with those campy English actors. Good times, good times. Laughing Laughing Laughing
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Loved the original show as a kid, sadly it didn't age well. Still hoping this new one is decent enough.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I re-watched a Thundercats episode for the first time since childhood a few years back and, man, did it ever STINK. I've got a feeling that this could creatively surpass the original by a wide margin.

As yes: Silverhawks is to Thundercats as The Snorks is to The Smurfs and The Jetsons is to The Flintstones.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
WARNING! NERDY WALL OF TEXT

Oh boy, where to begin...

Chrno2 wrote:
My dream came true. I said many years ago during my "nerdy" HS days when me and the boys used to talk about 'TC', that if the Japanese ever got their hands on it they could do a much better job with the story line.

Rankin-Bass has always worked with the Japanese.

http://digilander.libero.it/dottor_vaffa/co-production1.htm

Ctrl+F "Thundercats" and you'll find that anime studios HAVE worked on the show. The problem wasn't who was doing the animation, but how the show was directed.

TitanXL wrote:

This isn't an anime, though, it's more fake-anime like Teen Titans and Totally Spies.

Or US show outsourced to Japan.

Teen Titans and Totally Spies were outsourced to Lotto, Dong Woo, Seoul Movie, Koko/Dong Yang and Dr. Movie. Nothing remotely Japanese about those, although some might have had experience as assistance studios (many anime fans should be familiar with DR MOVIE).

TitanXL wrote:
It's animated by Studio 4C, but so was that awful Transformers Animated show.

Wrong. It was The Answer Studio (made of former Disney Animation Japan and Telecom staffers) and MOOK DLE (known for handling Swat Kats) that worked on the show, not 4C.

TitanXL wrote:
Boondocks is animated by Madhouse (sometimes).

Actually, the closest studio to Madhouse that worked on the show was Moi Animation (as I recall, they've worked alongside but are NOT related to them). Not ONE episode of the Boondocks has ever credited Madhouse as working on the show.

So in other words, the part about Madhouse working on the show is one of the biggest myths perpetuated about the series. (even TVTropes refuses to acknowledge this). Nothing but fan hearsay and proof that most people don't read the credits to see who did all the work (as the Samurai Pizza Cats end credits song would advise viewers).

TitanXL wrote:
They have nothing to do with the writing. Companies seem to think just being animated by a Japanese studio gives it 'street cred' or makes it 'anime' or something.

Can't say I blame you, but as with all cartoons it REALLY depends on how the work is spread. There have been cases like Batman: Gotham Knights where some people working at TMS have directed episodes ("Growing Pains", "Mean Seasons") and there's cases where it's just doing the gruntwork while the planning and writing's done in the states (Most Rankin Bass productions, animation in general). I think the planning has gotten a whole lot better even though the animation quality/budget is a bit questionable these days.

The thing isn't so much "street cred", it's more of the fact that doing co-productions with Japan has been somewhat of a rarity after 2002 or 2003 I believe. We were CRAZY with it in the 80s and most of the 90s but quality is expensive and execs have to save money.

TitanXL wrote:
Can't say I'm interested in more of that kind of stuff, since 99% of it is awful. And since the guy behind CN is in charge, I'm even more doubtful. CN hasn't had anything worth watching in years.

Animaniacs, Batman, Tiny Toons and Superman were awful (the TMS episodes)? Freakazoid was awful (Studio Junio)? The American Rabbit was awful (Toei Animation)? The Disney Television Animation Japan episodes of Pooh, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Little Mermaid, Bonkers, Gargoyles and Aladdin were awful? "Once Upon A Time..." (the ones done by Tatsunoko and Eiken) was awful?

Okay, no one was saying that, still 99% is casting a PRETTY wide net there.

Cartoon Network's made some major eff-ups (CN Real altogether, putting TDI and 6teen on the network, killing Flapjack, etc.) but Sam Register has made some smart decisions like giving the green light to "Regular Show", "Adventure Time" and "Symbionic Titan". There may be SOME hope for the network at least. Yeah, I miss old Cartoon Network too but some of the current animated programs aren't that bad.

TitanXL wrote:
The original show was really bad; everyone had William Shatner esque levels of bad voice acting and the plot was non-existent after the first few episodes.

Not going to argue there. My older brother loved the show to death, but I've never sat down and watched the show for much long. If Man of Action (for the record, I hated the original Ben 10 but loved the hell out of Rex) and some guy that worked on Avatar know anything though, it's how to handle a show. So I'll give these guys the benefit of the doubt for now.

TitanXL wrote:
Sure, the Turtles remake improved on the 80s show, but that's not saying much since shows from the 80s were all kinds of bad, and the new Turtles became just as bad as the 80s in the end anyway.

*groans* Can't believe I have to clarify this...

First off, the 80s show was its own entity. It started off being more kid friendly than the comics. By the time the show went dark and edgy in the mid-90s (still being its own storyline mind you), CBS's Saturday morning lineup was dying and fans stopped caring.

The 2003 show was a revival and a FAR more pragmatic adaptation of the ORIGINAL COMIC BOOK for a while before things went askew between 4Kids and Mirage about how to handle the series when they spawned that filibuster arc of the Turtles in the future. Don't get me started on how Back to the Sewers went for a more anime-esque style. Totally not worth it.

I get your point though, 80s revivals are getting tired out and people are hyping them up for the sake of nostalgia. Still, it might be best to give the modernized adaptations a chance anyway. Half the time my generation turned down watching a good cartoon and bad ratings killed it as a result. I'm sure many wish they could turn back time and support Project G.e.e.k.e.r and The Tick as best as they could among other programs.

If the show's success means more ambitious projects with that level of collaboration could be made, at least give the pilot episode a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3