• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tongue in Cheek

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klokei07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that no one remembers the OveraChivers episode. That interview with "Chi" Umennachi was truly informative, it definitely helped that he's an insider in the anime industry. It was quite some time ago (2010!) but you should invite him again to the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Just somewhat recently I expressed a similar opinion on Excel Saga. I don't find non-stop yelling and rapid gags to be funny. My head hurt watching Excel Saga, and I couldn't get past episode 9 or so and have little desire to continue. A lot of that late 90s humor just irritates me, it's why I take issue with Those Who Hunt Elves and other similar shows.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
So what did you guys think of Django Unchained? I noticed you didn't mention it. Do you guys think it has a chance of winning anything at all?
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
klokei07 wrote:
It's a shame that no one remembers the OveraChivers episode. That interview with "Chi" Umennachi was truly informative, it definitely helped that he's an insider in the anime industry. It was quite some time ago (2010!) but you should invite him again to the show.

Oh I remember that episode and use to listen to it often. It's just that.... I don't know. At the time I felt the information and problems with the anime industry he addressed at the time were worth looking into. But since then, it feels like not a whole lot has been done about it. Anime and it's fandom and industry seems to keep being insular and exclusive and.... sigh, I don't know. It just doesn't feel like that episode and the information Nmerichi Umennachi provided had as much of an influence on anyone that might've listened to it as I wanted it to.

Instead, we ended up just seeing people who don't end up minding those problems "Chi" pointed out about the anime industry. A few of which can't seem to shut up about how it has stayed insular and constantly show Oricon sales charts or Amazon Japan preorders or Biglobe Anime polls to prove it as Zac mentioned in this week's episode. And it just makes me shrug my shoulders tp be honest.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
Nice, laid-back episode guys.

In terms of Japan, I still haven't been to a cat cafe, but the concept sounds so quirky, I will have to try to visit one next time. Zac, if you get the chance, check out Miyagi prefecture up in Tohoku. Matsushima is worth the trip alone!

Hmm, Top Ten ANNCasts? That's kind of tough. The Geneon and Jan Scott Frazier episodes were definitely interesting, as was the one with Carl Macek. The S-E-X-I-S-M episode you guys did last winter (and the follow-up that ran at the end of one episode in the summer) was also very interesting. Oh, and the Helen McCarty episode! The Funi episodes are usually pretty amusing and honestly, I really enjoy any episode where I can get insight into how anime/manga/video games are made or localized.

Wait, I don't think that was any help at all. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
One of my favorite podcasts is definitely the Yakuza one with Jake Adelstein. That prompted me to go out and actually buy the book, which I loved. Ended up lending it to my sister who made a post about it on her book blog, which Jake actually ended up commenting on himself.

That one absolutely has to make the list. From the few that Zac mentioned, it sounds like he already has thought of the episodes I would suggest.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sam Pinansky Checks In Post-Quake - This was simply an amazing episode that really gave a great idea of just how bad that earthquake was. I'll also add in Stream It Again, Sam, the "regular" episode with Sam, because it was just great hearing about the man in general.

Over this new year's, I took a trip up north to the Tohoku region... I stopped by Minami Sanriku, the town which I think most people consider the worst hit by the tsunami, where more than 1000 people died out of a population of... less than 16,000.
It was very humbling.

Here's a gallery of pictures/video with commentary:

https://plus.google.com/photos/118312322698674986869/albums/5830342233484508529?authkey=CKW3i7TSvY66-QE
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
How could you guys forget about the Ghibli Museum? That's a must a for any anime fan.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 am Reply with quote
If I took a trip to Japan, I doubt that I would stay in Tokyo at all.

I'm kind of a history nut, and I love anything Shinsengumi related, so if I go to Japan, I will definitely be spending a good amount of time in Aizuwakamatsu.

There is a nice little video on this page:

http://www.mustlovejapan.com/subject/aizu_wakamatsu/

Plus the area is absolutely gorgeous:

http://www.city.aizuwakamatsu.fukushima.jp/e/sight/aizu/matsudaira.html

Whisper of the Heart is my top choice for an unabashedly happy anime ending.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Hey Zac, the Oscar politics stuff with Zero Dark Thirty and Beasts of The Southern Wild you mentioned at the start sounds really interesting. Is there any chance you could point me to somewhere where I could read more about it?

It made me super happy to hear that the Geneon and Jake Adelstein episodes are popular, those are probably my two favourite interview format episodes.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
One thing that's been bothering me about these podcasts is how brusquely Justin and Zac express their opinions. I appreciate the informative side to the podcasts, but more often than not they come across like an opportunity for Zac and Justin to air their grievances, which makes the shows hard for me to listen to (especially when they off-handedly express sharp criticisms I disagree with). It may be unintentional, but they really sound annoyed a lot of the time, and I unfortunately get very little sense of light-hearted enjoyment or enthusiasm from the podcasts. I can understand and appreciate the honesty, but I wish it felt more upbeat and considerate.

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. No question there were plenty of incredibly by the numbers shows during the early 90s. But I still think it was a lot more tolerable that the current trends. My reaction to 90s mecha crap is more utter indifference. It's really trite and forgettable. I have no desire to continue watching it. It isn't close to being as utterly off-putting as the modern era cliches though which are just so dumb and gross and creepy that I find them completely intolerable. Of course, in the end, I don't really want to watch either of these types of shows which is why the bad forgettable shows don't really matter per say. However, I find myself put off by the modern tropes even in shows that actually do something to make them worth watching which for me is the problem. If those mecha elements leak into other better shows it doesn't really diminish the show. I find it more difficult to get away from the more unpleasant stuff in modern anime though.

I largely agree with your sentiment. Some would say that one of the big negative tropes of the 80's and 90's was the over-the-top violence (like M.D. Geist, A.D. Police and even Ninja Scroll), but it was a trope that didn't really bother me, and to a certain extent I could respect it as a reflection of the adult-oriented (not necessarily mature) nature of the medium. I'll admit with a stupid grin that M.D. Geist is kind of a dumb movie with a lot of schlock to it, but on a certain level I can enjoy it as hilariously awesome popcorn entertainment. Certain modern tropes, on the other hand (like shows that strongly revolve around incest themes, or regularly focus on the butts of prepubescent schoolgirls, or star stylish j-pop-looking guys) either bug me, gross me out, or make me concerned about the increasingly insular culture of Japan's anime fandom. It's a generational gap I guess, and kind of reflects how the industry has changed to reflect changes in Japanese society.

ikillchicken wrote:
Of course, in the end, there are plenty of great shows from the modern period in anime despite the bad. And in fact, if we're talking specifically about the early 90s, there actually isn't a lot of stuff I like from that era. So while the bad anime from then was slightly more tolerable, it still might just be the worst period for anime short of reaching all the way back to the 70s (where we saw all of five shows are year or something). There are a number of movies but more or less the OVA boom was on its last legs by that point. With a few exceptions, we weren't really seeing the same quantity of stuff as in the late 80s. And TV anime was pretty much utterly forgettable. Like...I can barely think of anything. Thank god for Evangelion in 1995 (which I suppose was in a lot of ways a response to all those tired mecha shows of the early 90s).

There are some good tv shows I can think of that were airing new episodes between 1990 and 1995, like Nadia of the Secret Blue Water, Samurai Pizza Cats, G Gundam, Patlabor TV, Ranma, Yu Yu Hakusho, El Hazard, Yawara!, Sailor Moon, Captain Tylor, Magic Knight Rayearth, Slayers and Sorcerer Hunters. And some good OVAs too, like Giant Robo, Tenchi Muyo, Record of Lodoss War, Shin Cutie Honey, Dragon Half, Battle Angel, Plastic Little, Elf Princess Rane, Golden Boy, Cyber City Oedo, etc. I've never thought about how it stacks up against the 80's though, I'd have to think about what shows came out back then and compare.

tuxedocat wrote:
I'm kind of a history nut, and I love anything Shinsengumi related, so if I go to Japan, I will definitely be spending a good amount of time in Aizuwakamatsu.

If you like the Shinsengumi, you might want to check out Toei Uzumasu EigaMura if you ever get the chance. It's sort of a theme park and film set at the same time, used for historical tv shows and movies. I mention it because the last time I visited (maybe 8 or 9 years ago) they had an incredibly entertaining stage show featuring the Shinsengumi duking it out.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
My favorite episodes are the super nerd ones. You guys don't seem to give enough credit for that stuff, it's fun.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
One thing that's been bothering me about these podcasts is how brusquely Justin and Zac express their opinions. I appreciate the informative side to the podcasts, but more often than not they come across like an opportunity for Zac and Justin to air their grievances, which makes the shows hard for me to listen to (especially when they off-handedly express sharp criticisms I disagree with). It may be unintentional, but they really sound annoyed a lot of the time, and I unfortunately get very little sense of light-hearted enjoyment or enthusiasm from the podcasts. I can understand and appreciate the honesty, but I wish it felt more upbeat and considerate.

That blows my mind 100%. "Any one's opinion but mine makes me uncomfortable" I never thought I would see something like that about this podcast.

Also, notice that this show is in the editorial side of the site so it is supposed to be about opinion.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
wayne-kun wrote:
That blows my mind 100%. "Any one's opinion but mine makes me uncomfortable" I never thought I would see something like that about this podcast.

Also, notice that this show is in the editorial side of the site so it is supposed to be about opinion.

It's not that they express opinions I disagree with that bothers me, it's that they express some of their negative opinions very brusquely with a certain degree of inconsideration, which makes some of their opinions harder to stomach, especially when I disagree with them. Even when I do agree with them, there's this feeling of exasperation and annoyance that drags down the experience for me and makes the podcasts less enjoyable. I don't walk away from the podcasts feeling happy or energized or upbeat --- I feel better informed, but also like I've been listening to two guys express a lot of annoyances. I often imagine Zac with his head exhaustedly rested on his hand, and both of them periodically rolling their eyes, sighing and shaking their heads about some of the topics they discuss (Zac especially sounds like he facepalms a lot in his day-to-day life Laughing). It may not be a fair perception, and maybe if I knew them personally I would understand their back-and-forth discussion in a different light, but that's just the feeling I get whenever I sit down to listen to the podcast.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I can understand what the above guy is saying a bit. there are times when one of them makes a joke (for example the running gag being media blasters for a while, when people were starting to think that they were going to go under). and the way that they will sometimes treat shows if bad first episodes that turn into great series the most recent example being sakurasou (though it is not a good one). I love the show and they really have almost stopped doing stuff like that or the far more annoying thing of treating something like a joke then treating it seriously and saying it's fine or good, and then turning it back into a joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6