• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's any reasonable definition of "casual" at all. It seems that it's mostly used to mean "game I don't like". Sometimes, it holds the connotation of a game that isn't head-smashingly difficult.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned about the bundles selling out fairly quickly online so I went out to Best Buy today and bought myself one. I love how shiny and pretty it is and I could finally get a good look at the image on the front (the two dragons around a sword).

I still wish I had the physical game but the pre-loaded one so far is working well. The only complaint so far is that I don't seem to have a game manual and I want to check out what pair up does, since it's an option I haven't seen in previous games. But I suppose that is what the internet is for!

I played a bit so far and between that and the review I am very excited. Though I feel like perhaps I should finally finish Radiant Dawn before I get too far involved in this one.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Wait, you can turn off perma-death in this game?

Wimps.

Nintendo just can't stop dumbing down its greatest franchises to appeal to casuals.

I will never understand how giving people the option to do something somehow spoils it for you. Just don't turn it off.

I didn't say it spoiled the experience.

But one of my favorite things about games like FE is that they demand lots of skill and give good challenges. Man, what happened to the days when you didn't select an easier difficulty, but just sucked it up and grinded your skill till you got better?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

But one of my favorite things about games like FE is that they demand lots of skill and give good challenges. Man, what happened to the days when you didn't select an easier difficulty, but just sucked it up and grinded your skill till you got better?

Difficultly settings have been around for decades.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but games as a whole just used to be harder.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Permadeath was always a nuisance in the Fire Emblem games as it forced you to restart the level. You could always let some of them die for fun or to act as distractions, but the characters you trained to become your aces are not disposable, especially on higher difficulties or near the end of the game when enemies are tough. It made training characters such as Nino in earlier fire emblem games insanely difficult unless you abused the infamous Coliseum.

You don't need Permadeath to create the tension needed to make a character loss significant. Look at games such as Final Fantasy Tactics or Valkyria Chronicles 2 where both games use different approaches to character defeats. Losing a character during either game would put you at a huge disadvantage and Valkyria Chronicles 2 penalized a character's defeat by preventing further usage of the character for 2-3 matches.

Fire Emblem should just implement a more useful system through mimicking the Valkyria Chronicles 2 system, to encourage the use of different characters by making players train other characters in the party as backups. It would still make the defeat of a character detrimental, keeping players on his or her toes.

*Complaining about casual mode is hilarious, since you might as well complain about easy mode existing.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
While I do think it's a bit odd that they gave the ability to turn off perma-death, I definitely don't really think it's an issue since you can still play with it (and I absolutely would never play without it because I've always considered it one of the best features of the game).

At least they learned from Radiant Dawn that people like unique support conversations. I don't even bother reading them in that game and I used to look up the support transcripts online and re-read/watch them constantly.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's hilarious how the guy who made the web series "There Will be Brawl" voiced Chrom in this game.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Biggest downside to this game? Nintendo not shipping the physical copies/limited edition bundles on time. Some of us are still waiting for the game to even be available.

Other than that, can't wait for the rest of the DLCs to become available for this game.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
"Casual Mode" is not for "wimps." It's for people like me, who suck at SRPG's and can't even get past the halfway point, at most, on all the other FE games. Kakusei has been the best thing to ever happen to Fire Emblem to me because the game is actually fun for me for the first time, since I can actually do something and control how things work out without having to call in my girlfriend to help me out.

And for me, I don't hate something just because I suck at it. I try and try and try with normal turn-based JRPG's because I love them, even though I seem to suck at them, too. I am quite good at FPS games, even though I don't really care about them at all. But for SRPG's like Fire Emblem, I've tried and tried and tried, and I just haven't been able to make enough controllable progress to enjoy them. Until this game, that is.

So thank you, Nintendo/Intelligent Systems, for "Casual Mode." Insult or not, I've wanted to become a fan of the franchise for so long, and your consideration for my existence is appreciated.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Biggest downside to this game? Nintendo not shipping the physical copies/limited edition bundles on time. Some of us are still waiting for the game to even be available.

Was it Nintendo's fault? From what I'm hearing, some retailers had theirs on time. Many already bought their from Best Buy and maybe Target.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The Best Buy I bought mine from had 5 of the combo bundles on their shelf and I did see one copy of the game as well.

But I did ask my college electronics store about ordering one in and they couldn't find it with their supplier.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Was it Nintendo's fault? From what I'm hearing, some retailers had theirs on time. Many already bought their from Best Buy and maybe Target.

It was Gamestop's warehouse shipments being messed up. They had it listed for the wrong release date and that caused all kinds of delay. This is pretty common with GameStop, but they usually still end up fixing it or getting the shipments right on time anyway. In this case, it ended up being late, and with such a big franchise, it has become a problem...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, but games as a whole just used to be harder.

Thats because a lot of old games were incompetently done. Castlevania became much easier because you got more control over the character. In the early Super Robot Wars games, at least half your units were worthless wereas later the number of bad units are now significantly reduced, also in earlier games you had less options like no support defend/attack, you didn't have the ability to choose wether to counter, evade or defend.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Thats because a lot of old games were incompetently done. Castlevania became much easier because you got more control over the character. In the early Super Robot Wars games, at least half your units were worthless wereas later the number of bad units are now significantly reduced, also in earlier games you had less options like no support defend/attack, you didn't have the ability to choose wether to counter, evade or defend.

Just shows how much technology has benefited gaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3