• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heartwarming Marriage Proposals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I seem to recall it having Goku say something like 'I may not remember that...but my heart does.' Awwwww, heart strings tug tug tu - wait, that's not Goku at all... The original version has him saying something more akin to 'Did I say that? Well, I guess if I did then, we should get married', like he's just resigning himself to his fate.

I'll second you on that, Gyt Kaliba. I started watching a (legal) subtitled version of DB back in the 90s, and I do remember him pretty much resigning himself to the thought of marrying Chi Chi. If anything, it was Chi Chi who pursued him and insisted that they were 'engaged'. The reason was something that may not have been allowed on the US version at the time: spoiler[Goku and Chi Chi had met when they were very young. Up till that point, Goku had not met many girls and had a habit of touching their crotch to check for testicles. He did this to Chi Chi while on they were on his cloud. After knocking him out, Chi Chi declared they were now 'engaged' because he did this. Could also be why he didn't remember it.]

Loved seeing Ed & Winry on the list! They were perfect for eachother.[/spoiler]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Eh, next week's poll needs to have Alice in the Country of Hearts.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering would could top Toradora, but those look like some solid picks. That Planetes moment gives a perfect balance to spoiler[the darker tone the series took in volume 5].

Although it wasn't a proposal, I think FMA's Sig and Izumi Curtis deserve an honorable mention for spoiler[falling in love because of a bear carcass]
sonryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the article title and started reading it, I thought to myself "Planetes BETTER be on this list or there'll be Hell to pay". Glad it was on there Laughing

Funny side note: I actually didn't know anything about Planetes at the time, but about 6 years ago I saw a thread post asking about the song in the last episode. Figuring I'd never watch the series, I wasn't worried about spoilers, so I watched the video clip of it, and since I had the OSTs, I identified the song. But after watching the ending clip, I was so impressed with how it was handled (again, not knowing anything about the title), that I decided to buy and watch Planetes. Even though I already knew how it was going to end when I started watching it, I watched the entire series anticipating the final moment when Hachi would propose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Among the list Toradora and FMA brotherhoods were my favorites especially with the way brotherhood handled it, fitting of the characters and wasn't overtly sappy with it. I never saw all of DBZ but I got a luagh at seeing Goku and Chichi on the list.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I am not really sure if you will call it a marriage proposal per say but I also love in Princess Tutu spoiler[Rue and Mythos] ending.

And another classic from Rose of Versailles spoiler[Oscar and Andre]. It was a long wait but totally worth it.

Oh yes, especially to the second one! Hands down one of the most heartwarmingspoiler[/breaking] romances in all of anime. I dunno, I would've also found a way to fit Kenshin in there (with either one of his proposals).
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
How about the engagement of Kenshin and Kaoru in the Seisohen OVAs? Well, it was a director's cut scene but it reduced a lot the depression from the story but giving us such heartwarming scene.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, Goku and Chi-Chi. There's nothing more romantic than a guy just going, "Eh, whatever. I guess we're married. So who do I fight next?" Akira Toriyama: Master of love.

Bonus points to Galap for the link to Yang and Frederica. Since that's my YT account and I made that clip years ago. Was going to post it myself.

But instead I'll post this. Mittermeyer's proposal in a flashback was great.

Frankly, I found the Ed and Winry thing to be lacking, but probably because I wish Winry had fallen onto the train tracks and got run over by the train.

Speaking of trains, how about the Rail Tracer... I mean, Claire Stanfield... I mean Felix Walken, and Chane Laforet? A proposal while covered in blood is so damn romantic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Best Boy-Girl twins; I'm glad to see Kagamine Rin & Len up there second, but I would have them on top cause I'm just bias like that. Laughing
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how it happened in the manga or anime, but the proposal in the live-action Hana Yori Dango and everything that followed it (yes, I'm talking about Hana Yori Dango Final, even though it was on all sorts of crack) made me happy.

(I keep meaning to get my hands on the manga and anime, but it never seems to happen. Sigh.)
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku's is incredibly moving and deserving of its second place. The voice acting is amazing and the scene really conveys the spoiler[ pain and loneliness that Kyoko had gone through being a widow at such a young age. Her acceptance of Godai's proposal with the: "Promise me, that even if it is by one day, you'll outlive me", is one of the best lines in any manga or anime. ]
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence. I finished Planetes last night. That was definitely a great proposal. And I kept thinking Hachi was gonna dump Ai so he could go on the mission.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Minor note, shouldn't that be for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Cause unless I'm really confused, I don't think that's how the original Fullmetal Alchemist ended.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
At the other end, one of the worst IIRC was in Kimagure Orange Road. Laughing
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Woot! Planetes up top! Woop! Woop! Woop! Yeah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3