• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thermae Romae Creator Got 1 Million Yen/US$10,000 for Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel the least bit sorry for this lady. I read a more detailed article on another site and it says that the signed off on the deal without looking over it because she was, "too busy." Her situation is due to her own negligence and she has only herself to blame.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, ANN is not reporting all of her comments. She said that out of the blue her publisher told her about the offer but that she was too busy to look at the contract, so she just accepted it. However, she was told that she would be paid one million yen (the sum being arrived at arbitrarily), so it's not like she didn't know what she stood to make. of course, then she has the gall to claim that her publisher had gotten one over her when she was the one who okayed the sum. The publisher was slimy but not deceitful; she was promised one million yen and that's what she got.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Most of the comments in this article are absurd. People need to take a breath before they insult someones intelligence in business. All the story (on ANN) says is what she was paid for the movie and here come people to tell her what she did was wrong. I didn't know that there were so many people on this site who are super successful in business and have made it big just so they can have the free time to be shitty and disrespectful to a manga creator.

I mean it's clearly not rude to comment on someones personal decisions they make in their life and to tell them what you think they are doing wrong when it's none of your concern.

BTW I saw the edit that dtm42 made to his/her post on the previous page so he/she knew that they were stepping over the line.

I am also sure that everyone that posted negative comments in this thread has never made any mistakes and have made all the right decisions in life and have never screwed up. I am sure they also have a crystal ball on hand to see in the future to make sure they will always make the right decision in all things in life.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
stove top stuffing wrote:
Most of the comments in this article are absurd. People need to take a breath before they insult someones intelligence in business. All the story (on ANN) says is what she was paid for the movie and here come people to tell her what she did was wrong. I didn't know that there were so many people on this site who are super successful in business and have made it big just so they can have the free time to be shitty and disrespectful to a manga creator.

Like I said, the ANN article doesn't tell the whole story. There's more to it than is being reported. I'm talking about the story, not about the article with its limited info.

I mean it's clearly not rude to comment on someones personal decisions they make in their life and to tell them what you think they are doing wrong when it's none of your concern.

It's her attitude both towards money in general and towards her publisher that is the true problem, not what she actually did.

Plus, she went public with this, she's the one who broke the story. If she didn't want people commenting on it she shouldn't have brought it up in a variety show interview.

BTW I saw the edit that dtm42 made to his/her post on the previous page so he/she knew that they were stepping over the line.

What edit? I remember making an edit but it expanded on what I wrote and did not remove material.

I am also sure that everyone that posted negative comments in this thread has never made any mistakes and have made all the right decisions in life and have never screwed up. I am sure they also have a crystal ball on hand to see in the future to make sure they will always make the right decision in all things in life.

Yeah, way to miss the point.

Like I said, it's her attitude and naivety that are the real problems. First of all she was blase about the whole thing and didn't even bother to read the contract. But secondly, she knew how much she was going to get and was content with that, and is only annoyed at her publisher when her friends tell her she could have got more money. It's greed, pure and simple. Blaming the publisher for sticking one over her is a sad attempt to try to shirk her responsibilities as an adult. She's forty-five, not some fresh-faced kid out of college, so she has no excuse for being so immature and putting al the blame on her publisher when she must accept some responsibility. She's essentially throwing a tantrum because she made the mistake of accepting an amount that was too little and thinks she should now get more, even though she got exactly as much as the contract she signed stated she would.

I have talked about all this in previous posts, you know. Please read more carefully.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

What edit? I remember making an edit but it expanded on what I wrote and did not remove material.

In the post of yours I was referencing you had called her a moron. It was later removed from the post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
No, not removed. It was simply moved to another part of the post.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Like I said, it's her attitude and naivety that are the real problems.

Yes, lets all blame the woman, because she could be so busy putting her attention in her fans and manga instead in the look out to not be ripped off.

She should apologize to all because because she was not careful of the ripoff schemes of a publisher.

Let me praise your super deep level of understanding things, people with your same level of understanding should be proud!

The real problem here is that a corporation/publisher-in-this-case will always "vigorously" (term loved by corps) scheme to offer the least favorable contract to artists, those in which they can be easily screwed up and and take advantage of very opportunity to do so.

The real problem is not her naivete, yet, yes, she was naive not to understand that publisher is not on artists side and she needs people that can play as dirty as corps in order to not be ripped off as badly.

Comments like the ones I've read here make want to puke, and feel ashamed myself as a human, blame her naivete and that she was too trustful of humans, because the lesson and what you wanna really tell is you cannot trust anyone in this world, specially when money is involved, harsh life tell us you cannot even trust loved ones when money is in the game.

The publisher was very smart right, the woman too stupid, BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!

If you ever are a victim of fraud, robbery or had good fate in people that stabbed you in the back, remember, its always your fault, you were too stupid and naive and you deserved it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
This wasn't robbery, nor was it fraud. She was offered one million yen, she accepted the one million yen, and then she got the one million yen. That was a valid agreement/contract she signed and she was reimbursed to the full extent that the contract allowed.

And now she has the nerve to be upset that she didn't get more. As I asked before, does she not know what a fixed upfront fee is? Even a child can understand the concept, and yet she thought she'd get more money if the movie was more successful. That's not how an upfront fee works for heaven's sakes.

And I'm not saying that she is entirely to blame, not at all; I've said as much already in previous posts. Her publisher clearly didn't do their best for her, and were at best grossly negligent in advocating for their client. But she does share some of the blame. Playing the innocent victim card when she's not and whining on television about how she was screwed over just makes her out to be a greedy ungrateful moron. Not a good look.

You want to puke and be ashamed as a human? That's your perogative. But you getting all pissy about it doesn't change the fact that society expect a forty-five-year-old person to maturely take some responsibility for the decisions she makes and the valid contracts she signs. If she was fifteen then I'd be outraged that someone took advantage of her. But she's an adult, and she should act like one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2