• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues Animeland Staff Over Counterfeit Items

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Maybe if Funimation or some other legit company would make the said toys people are buying, there'd be no need for other people to make them to sell?

Either way, it doesn't concern me. I buy both fake and real merchandise. I tend not to buy the fakes if I could find the real...but if a real version doesn't exist, then fakes I go.

Same problem with the CD/DVD market where no one is longer buying the physical copy where the iTunes/Apple is already avaliable for purchase online. While everyone can still share with their friends regardless what's been said by companies. Medium and Small companies still sell, but it's more like quality control from said manufactures (wholesale and retailers) mostly toys that are made in China, even with the knock offs and bootlegs avaliable (whether it's fake or not).

It's the question whether or not people are buying these merchandises.... Everyone making a living off something....
teknomantik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
but if a real version doesn't exist, then fakes I go.

I kind of have a problem with that mentality, though -- it supposes that the buyer is entitled to have a McWidget with Naruto's face on it. It's right up there with the assertion that piracy is justified because Crunchyroll is only 720p.

Coming back to the lawsuit, I can mostly say it definitely jives with most of the stories I've heard out of Animeland over the years. Having staffed a number of cons (notably including NDK) they're the kind of things that make one's hair stand on end.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
NeoPhoenixTE wrote:
Well, this is quite the damning bit of a news for a convention that already has to struggle to survive in the shadow of Nan Desu Kan every September.
How does a con that is held in March live in the shadow of a con that is held in September? They're half a year apart.

If 6 months a shadow makes, then Otakon Vegas is forever damned to be in the shadow. What time difference makes "a shadow"? Do cons that shift their dates, like AnimeUSA, live in their own shadow as AnimeUSA (picking it off of animecons) 2012 was only 10 months away from AnimeUSA 2013?

How weak is the fandom in CO that fans can't attend one local con of size each year? This is rather saddening to hear. Normally the lazy are said to only grab for the low-hanging fruit. Sounds like y'all in CO are too lazy to even grab for that...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So this justifies you not buying said physical releases? Also, sure it isn't perfect, but saying it doesnt work is a stretch. I pay what, 8 dollars a month for the service. Thats the cost of not eating out at a fast food restaurant ONCE a month for a streaming site, that yes has its problems, that bothers to bring you anime.

Ill be the first to say that Funimation needs to up the game on their streaming site, but that by no means justifies stealing from them. It seriously always surprises me how people can give every excuse in the book, yet can't bring $8 dollars a month to the table for a serviceable streaming site. Crunchyroll does better yet, but that doesnt mean it is trash.

If Funi's site wasn't so damn bad, yeah, maybe people would stop ripping from it.

In my case, if I were to get a Funi Elite subscription, I'd STILL torrent the rips because it'd be so much more convenient. Hell, that's what I do for CR: I'm subscribed but I got GJ-BU Episode 5 on the way to my computer now.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
teknomantik wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
but if a real version doesn't exist, then fakes I go.

I kind of have a problem with that mentality, though -- it supposes that the buyer is entitled to have a McWidget with Naruto's face on it. It's right up there with the assertion that piracy is justified because Crunchyroll is only 720p.

Coming back to the lawsuit, I can mostly say it definitely jives with most of the stories I've heard out of Animeland over the years. Having staffed a number of cons (notably including NDK) they're the kind of things that make one's hair stand on end.

The 720P argument is REALLY stupid to me an old fashioned subber (ya we still exist) first off anime is not aired on TV in 90% of the 1080P when that argument was valid. Even the tv stations have upscale stuff to do those broadcast. Second most fan subs at the time maxed out at 720P to begin with since shows with 1080P many times would not initially air at 1080P it would be on another station 2-3 days later. by that point most groups would have released. and those who have not are generally locked in to a raw video already and would not swap or add another raw since that would mean in some cases mean starting a good portion of the work all over again.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation is no saint in the anime business but in this particular case, they are perfectly justified in going after counterfeit dealers.

However, despite all this, I just wish that FUNimation will just learn to clean out the skeletons in their closet and prove that they are earning not only the fans' money but also their respect.
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, FUNimation, do you sell cool Fullmetal Alchemist pocket watches or Dragon Ball toy boxes? No. Exactly why we like counterfeit merchandise.

I have the pocket watch they're talking about and it's awesome, it goes with me almost everywhere. If FUNimation would sell merchandise like that, I would care more about counterfeit items.
Greggo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Well, FUNimation, do you sell cool Fullmetal Alchemist pocket watches or Dragon Ball toy boxes? No. Exactly why we like counterfeit merchandise.

I have the pocket watch they're talking about and it's awesome, it goes with me almost everywhere. If FUNimation would sell merchandise like that, I would care more about counterfeit items.

Um... http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/iJL1rfr84inx76Ciko/browse/item/68200/4/0/0
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
I won't name names, but we have a local (Seattle-area) mall chain that's got a ton of questionable merchandise too, and as much as I'd love to see a good anime retailer, I always cringe a little inside whenever I pass by their stores.

I assume you're talking about the one with stores in the Everett and Alderwood Malls?
potatochobit

Everyone already knows they are counterfeit

I can understand a lawsuit if they were selling pirated anime,
but being upset over watches and trinkets, which no one sells anyway, is just a waste of time and makes everyone look bad.

a serious serious threat to the industry is all the fake nendoroids.
it's getting to the point where the fake ones debut on the market almost on the same day as the original.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

Didn't take long for the FYGM crowd to show up on this one.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

I thought Great Eastern had the watches covered. Granted the watch does look dull in real life. This reminds me someone should really rat out that one guy who does the bootleg Toku dvds at NYCC every year.

Also cut them some slack the merchandise rights are harder to get than the anime itself.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:

Also, it's obvious FUNimation is trying to get more money, Animeland has sold counterfeit stuff in the past and they've never noticed until now. Perhaps they're saving up for the license to the new Sailor Moon or something, I dunno.

I suggest you actually read the damn article. Seriously, some people.... Rolling Eyes
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, as a Denver anime fan, this is interesting. I've heard mixed stuff about Wasabi--some people really like that it's much smaller than NDK, but other people feel that it's also much less organized and (apparently? I've only heard this second-hand) some of the guests that have gone have been unhappy with it. I've never been to Wasabi myself--I have a Steampunk con I always go to around this time of year so it's hard for me to gather up the funds to go there as well, and I generally like NDK enough that I haven't felt the need to try out another con. This sort of allegation does fit in line with some of the issues I've heard people mention about Wasabi, though.

I wonder if this will affect the artist's alley at NDK at all this year? I'm assuming not, since we've had Funi reps at the con for a number of years and I've never heard of them going after any of the fan artists. I guess the distinction is based around the fact that fanart is obviously fanart and the stuff at Wasabi was maybe trying to pass itself off as official merch? I know NDK has a VERY strict "no bootlegs" policy for the Dealer's Room. (In fact, I know on their tumblr they recently made a point of stating this again--I wonder if they'd heard something about Wasabi?)

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If funimation had a working streaming site then I wouldn't torrent their licensed series now.

I'm not crazy about their site either, but most of their stuff is also available on Hulu and YouTube, isn't it? IMO they give people enough options that I don't think it makes pirating something they're letting you watch for free justifiable.

Echo_City wrote:
NeoPhoenixTE wrote:
Well, this is quite the damning bit of a news for a convention that already has to struggle to survive in the shadow of Nan Desu Kan every September.
How does a con that is held in March live in the shadow of a con that is held in September? They're half a year apart.

If 6 months a shadow makes, then Otakon Vegas is forever damned to be in the shadow. What time difference makes "a shadow"? Do cons that shift their dates, like AnimeUSA, live in their own shadow as AnimeUSA (picking it off of animecons) 2012 was only 10 months away from AnimeUSA 2013?

How weak is the fandom in CO that fans can't attend one local con of size each year? This is rather saddening to hear. Normally the lazy are said to only grab for the low-hanging fruit. Sounds like y'all in CO are too lazy to even grab for that...

I agree with the guy that said that the shadow they're living in is (allegedly, since as I mentioned I myself haven't been to Wasabi) more their own problems with organization. NDK's not perfect (in my opinion their current venue is far too small, and they REALLY need to move, particularly since they're the largest con in the Rocky Mountain area so we get a ton of out-of-towners every year). But in general the staff is good, the people in charge have an obvious love of anime, the guests usually seem pretty happy (which is part of the reason why we get a ton of repeat visitors I think), the dealer's room is REALLY good about keeping out bootlegs, there's a solid variety of panels, etc etc.

In comparison I've heard of stuff like Wasabi doing a horrible job of checking for badges (so there's apparently some people that go every year for free) and I've heard rumors of guest dissatisfaction, and this isn't the first time I've heard of bootlegs there, either. Usually the only good thing I hear about them is "it's a small enough con that I can hang out with more people and it's more relaxed"--which would definitely be something in its favor if it was run better than it seems to be. (As another comparison, the Steampunk con I go to every year, Anomaly Con, is also very small compared to NDK and has a more relaxed feel, but the staff is also much, much more organized and the dealers and guests usually seem pretty happy when I see them around.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I definitely am not a 100% legitimate release only person when it comes to watching my anime. But I am 100% against people making a profit by selling counterfeit items.

When I was con-staff, we learned how to tell bootlegs and even did end up ending a relationship with a vendor because they had sold bootlegs the previous year and were kicked out of another con for doing the same thing.

It's just not cool to take something that someone else has made and make a profit from it. I'll give a bit of leeway to fanart, since at least that (generally) has some artistic merit/effort put into it, plus the license holders themselves are generally okay with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6