• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oreshura episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
There was a bullying vibe to the way Masuzu manipulated Chiwa that really didn't sit well with me..

This is my main gripe as well. Masuzu is a complete bitch, and normally there's nothing wrong with having a complete bitch as a character in the series, but for some reason it just really ticked me off they she manipulates Eita and especially Chiwa.

If I was Eita I would dump this bitch and continue not caring about love at all. Who cares if she black mails him. The amount of damage and baggage she carries is much worse than the consequences of Eita's chuunibyou past being released.

The show tries too hard to be harem. It had an interesting premise from the start but then took the wrong turn down harem-ville.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
^
The show mentions that his chuunibyou past is now known to the entire school but glosses over the fact that because of this, Masuzu now has less of a hold on him blackmail-wise.

I will be unhappy if Eita ends up with Masuzu, Hime or Ai, as they are a bitch, delusional and crazy respectively. Chiwa may be a serial liar but at least she has a genuine connection with him.

Though this being a Harem show, he probably won't end up with anyone. *sighs*

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
dont know which one the show is following, but both the manga and light novel are still ongoing, so a proper conclusion is unlikely unless the show diverts and has its own ending
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I will be unhappy if Eita ends up with Masuzu, Hime or Ai, as they are a bitch, delusional and crazy respectively. Chiwa may be a serial lier but at least she has a genuine connection with him.

Masuzu has as well, I feel. Can be a massive dick, but I still like the character. I would be fine with either winning, maybe more with Chiwa.

Hime, Ai, GTFO.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
Masuzu has as well, I feel. Can be a massive dick, but I still like the character. I would be fine with either winning, maybe more with Chiwa.

Hime, Ai, GTFO.

Pretty much my sentiment, too, especially Ai. Any girl who spoiler[is still trying to get a guy to stamp a marriage contract made when they were in kindergarten] sounds dangerously obsessive to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
how is she any different from all the other childhood friends who still still believe that a pinky promise to get married in the future is a legal, binding contract and try to get the object of their affection to agree with them? Even Takashi in the beginning of HOTD was brooding over that.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, I don't think much of those, either. I'll make an exception in cases like Ai Yori Aoshi, where they were formally engaged from a young age, but that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
how is she any different from all the other childhood friends who still still believe that a pinky promise to get married in the future is a legal, binding contract and try to get the object of their affection to agree with them?

She's not different, however I think people are just a little fed up with this character gimmick. Stuff like this has been occurring since Love Hina. I think the classic full on harem genre is just kinda waning nowadays. I haven't found myself entertained by one of these shows for a while now. Shows like Oreimo on the other hand, have characteristics of harem but drop a lot of the over-used gimmicks and character stereotypes that we are all sick of.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
@Key:

Even then, a formal engagement between children is not worth the paper its printed on. Japan isn't so backwards as to consider such arrangements binding, so even if the families set it up, if one party (male or female) doesn't want it then there's nothing anyone can do about it. But there is also the issue of whether the children actually know what they were being asked to do, which is to make a massive life decision when they're too young to even tie their own shoelaces. Children simply cannot make those sorts of decisions (they lack the requisite mental capacity), nor can they be morally held to any decisions they do make.

I get that many arranged marriages do work. But if a girl turned up on my doorstep out of the blue and said that a decade ago we were engaged and that she was still serious about it, I'd stay the hell away from her. To love a person you spent a few hours/days/months with back when you were a kid - and to be serious about the silly childhood promise/arrangement made back then - is a sign that you are seriously disturbed or completely deranged. As in, you lack a sense of self and are just trying to live through someone else, with no free will or desires of your own (nor the capacity to understand that adults are not bound to the desires they had as a child).

Anyway, Ai is clearly crazy and she would still be loco even if the marriage had been arranged. No matter the type of connection, she can't just walk up to someone over a decade after she last saw them and expect that person to keep their word about a silly promise that was made back then. Though I guess we should be grateful it wasn't a promise to rule the world. If it had been, Ai would be using high school to prepare for a double degree in law (politics) and biotechnology (bio-weapon research) once she entered university.

@Meygaera:

OreImo has its own problems. Big problems. Dropping some overused tropes from the Harem sub-genre is not all that impressive if you then replace them with absolute garbage.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@Key:

Even then, a formal engagement between children is not worth the paper its printed on. Japan isn't so backwards as to consider such arrangements binding, so even if the families set it up, if one party (male or female) doesn't want it then there's nothing anyone can do about it. But there is also the issue of whether the children actually know what they were being asked to do, which is to make a massive life decision when they're too young to even tie their own shoelaces. Children simply cannot make those sorts of decisions (they lack the requisite mental capacity), nor can they be morally held to any decisions they do make.

The children weren't the ones making the decision in that case; it was made by the parents on both sides. And while it may not technically be a legally binding situation, both the Hanabishi and the Sakuraba are very old, very traditional families who could bring lot of pressure to bear on the intended participants, including being disowned if they don't comply. Besides, a girl getting hooked on a dream of becoming an elegant bride is hardly far-fetched (I have shown that series to one of my sisters, and she commented that she knew girls in school who had aspirations similar to Aoi's), especially if she knows that a man has already been arranged for her.

Quote:
I get that many arranged marriages do work. But if a girl turned up on my doorstep out of the blue and said that a decade ago we were engaged and that she was still serious about it, I'd stay the hell away from her. To love a person you spent a few hours/days/months with back when you were a kid - and to be serious about the silly childhood promise/arrangement made back then - is a sign that you are seriously disturbed or completely deranged. As in, you lack a sense of self and are just trying to live through someone else, with no free will or desires of your own (nor the capacity to understand that adults are not bound to the desires they had as a child).

Again, a lot of the time I'd agree with you, but I'd still argue that Aoi is a very unusual case. Besides, it wasn't like Kaoru was instantly accepting of the situation. And let's not forget that Aoi was pretty hot, meticulously accomplished, and very proper. She wasn't a head case at all, unlike Ai.

Quote:
OreImo has its own problems. Big problems. Dropping some overused tropes from the Harem sub-genre is not all that impressive if you then replace them with absolute garbage.

For those not familiar with OreImo, this opinion is far from a universally-held one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
A girl may be hooked on being a bride, but being so keen on being the bride of a guy she barely knows (if at all) and whom she hasn't talked to for a decade? And she expects him to agree? That's just creepy.

And yes, the families did arrange it in the case of Ai Yori Aoshi, but the fact that she thinks he wants to honour an arrangement made years ago without his consent is just bizarre.

The families may be old, but I have to wonder how much pressure they can really bring to bear. I know that Japan has high social expectations, but being disowned these days is hardly the punishment it once was. Apart from cutting off financial support - which is serious hurdle but not an insurmountable one for someone willing to work their arse off - there's nothing his family could do if he made up his mind.

Ai sounds like someone who has no goals for herself except to be what others want her to be. You make her sound like a mannequin rather than a person who can love and be loved. It's good to be wary of those people - male or female - who are slavishly obedient to their families. If Ai turned up on my doorstep, I'd want her to want to marry me because she loves me, not because she was told to marry me by a family that she allows to control her. I don't care how hot and proper she is, I would be extremely wary of entering a relationship with a girl that had such unhealthy foundations. Maybe if she and I had always known one another and had grown up together then that would be a bit different.

As for OreImo, I would say we should agree to disagree, but the show is absolutely terrible for a multitude of clear reasons and I won't back down on that.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

As for OreImo, I would say we should agree to disagree, but the show is absolutely terrible for a multitude of clear reasons and I won't back down on that.

No matter how hard you try, you can't make opinions into fact just by asserting hard enough.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
^
I never do that, so you're talking nonsense as usual.

I could talk about OreImo's problems all night, but this is a OreShura thread and I'm pushing my luck as it is by posting several paragraphs ragging Ai Yori Aoshi.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I never do that, so you're talking nonsense as usual.

You always do this!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
No matter how hard you try Fence, you can't make opinions into fact just by asserting hard enough.

I don't do it. Simple as that. Now drop it. Hopefully you'll see this message before Key likely deletes the last few posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3