• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Heart of Bored

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait, the Shin Kyoto Hen dub gives Usui a Spanish accent??

I... I always imagined him with a Spanish accent.

It must be that mustache.

Anyway, I'm surprised Bamboo didn't like the fight scenes, because from watching the first part I thought they were the only worthwhile thing about the OVA to begin with. They got rid of the overly silly stuff from the TV series/manga (like Chou's wibbly-wobbly whip-sword) and cut it down to visceral, fluid, semi-realistic combat like in the original OVAs. Fight scenes are kind of Kazuhiro Furuhashi's specialty, and the one area in which he can be expected to consistently deliver. It's just too bad about everything else, though. When are we going to see a proper Kenshin reboot??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Something that really bothers me about the OVA is that Kenshin lost most of his pacifism as he doesn't even care about if he could kill the enemy. Not to mention the anticlimatic or confusing endings to all of his fights.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
As a big Rurouni Kenshin fan, I'm disappointed to hear how bad the new OVA is. It sounds like it's high time for a different view on the story (new studio, new director, etc.), but I wonder if that's ever going to happen.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

He makes the woman orgasm using the heat emanating from his penis. It's quite odd. Burns do not work that way.

You mean...like a mini radiator?? The sad part is that they actually exist...

ANN_Bamboo wrote:

It's not at all graphic[...]You hear Yumi moaning about how she's filled with (physical) heat, and you just see Shishio bobbing up and down. What makes it bizarre that he's still completely wrapped up in his bandages, so then your brain's natural progression is, "Wait, so.... how did... does he just.... what part is wrapped...?" and then your mind spirals into other questions, like "how much of his body is burned?" and "is it still burned???"

The actual scene itself is harmless. It just does strange things to your imagination.

Ahh...that doesn't sound too bad. Highly implausible yes, but...nope. Still want to see it! Laughing
Does his body bleed while he's going at it? Nah, I'll just find out myself.

Charred Knight wrote:

I assume Shishio's penis looks and taste exactly like a Slim Jim.

*speechless*
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I probably missed this somewhere but whatever happened to Erin? I like Bamboo but I really miss Erin writing this column as I really dug most of what she recommended.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Everyone is in a tissy about this mummy sex scene that I just might watch New Kyoto Arc just to see how stupid it is.

He makes the woman orgasm using the heat emanating from his penis. It's quite odd. Burns do not work that way.

That's his burn power. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
With all this fuss about the mummy sex-scene I've been made curious. I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed and that it won't be half as funny and awkward as has been described lol
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
SHOUNEN TALK!

I....honestly haven't seen Ruroni Kenshin...yet anyways. This really just serves as a warning to me to keep my distance from the OVA.

As for Toriko I can see how Bamboo likes the over-the-top ness of it, just the other day I saw a random episode after watching OP in funimation's site, expecting to just see Toriko beat the living shit out of something. instead I got this sort of spoiler[ cassino 'dare you to eat it' sort of gig with coco (who's powers have piqed my intrest most of the cast) and this dude who can control of the inners of his body or something like that. I found it interesting how much they used the knowledge of cells and protiens and the like (as ridiculous as it was) as a way to add tension. then we get this big ass shoot out, Toriko making several holes in the wall Coco becoming some sort of poison samura and Toriko nearly going super sayain just for eating a poisonous patoto.]

I'm more likely to read the manga version than watch the anime due to how shounen anime adaptations usually turn out with me (same goes for kenshin) but my intrest in the series has risen a little.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf sent me a card about reserving Sweet Blue Flowers. I admit I have never seen a single yuri or implied yuri anime nor read a manga on the subject. It seems this one is a good choice though. Consider?

Pfffft, all this talk of Shishio banging Yumi, it might actually be worth getting the OVA just to see that. XD
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never been very interested in Rurōni Kenshin, but just as an extension of my not being interested in shōnen work generally. This OVA does not seem likely to change that, hot-mummy sex (as opposed to hot mummy sex) and inexplicable Spanish accents notwithstanding.

My copy of Sweet Blue Flowers is waiting patiently on my shelf. I love Takako Shimura's Wandering Son manga, hence I have a natural interest in Sweet Blue Flowers. 'slow paced' and 'character-driven' are evidently catnip for me. I do, however, expect that the twelve-episode length won't work to its overall advantage.

BeanBandit wrote:
I probably missed this somewhere but whatever happened to Erin? I like Bamboo but I really miss Erin writing this column as I really dug most of what she recommended.

Erin Finnegan wrote her last column in early October of last year to concentrate on her graduate studies and career.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fully agree with Bamboo's assessment of New Kyoto Arc. I've never watched all that far into Rurouni Kenshin (only the first three episodes), so of course I never got up to the Kyoto arc. So I was watching this OVA as a newcomer to the material, and I couldn't understand what was going on and why. It was just a huge rush of names, places, and snippets of dialogue that probably meant something to those who had already read the Manga or seen the series, but meant absolutely nothing to me. And she's right, the fight scenes (such as they are) are not that great either.

Most disappointed, I was.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Everyone is in a tissy about this mummy sex scene that I just might watch New Kyoto Arc just to see how stupid it is.

I seem to recall the original series having Shishio point out that his burns were so horrific that they removed his ability to sweat and that the scar tissue now covering his entire body poorly dissipates heat so he's always running what amounts to a hellishly high fever. Going on that, perhaps his, ah, appendage is significantly toastier than the norm. Considering what happened to the guy, I think that he deserves a "superpower", even if it does sound like something out of a really bad hentai title.

That said, this is Kenshin, a series that is known for throwing plausibility and science out the window. If it's not ridiculous & over-the-top, it's not allowed in Kenshin. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
^
Doesn't he burn a guy's face off with the same heat power? That just seems dumb.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

It's not at all graphic, and is mostly implied. You hear Yumi moaning about how she's filled with (physical) heat, and you just see Shishio bobbing up and down. What makes it bizarre that he's still completely wrapped up in his bandages, so then your brain's natural progression is, "Wait, so.... how did... does he just.... what part is wrapped...?" and then your mind spirals into other questions, like "how much of his body is burned?" and "is it still burned???"

The actual scene itself is harmless. It just does strange things to your imagination.

I assume Shishio's penis looks and taste exactly like a Slim Jim.

Bite into a slim jim EAT ME! Sorry I could not resist at all it was just far to easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
That makes me kinda sad about the Kenshin OVAs. It's been tempting to buy it since I loved the tv series but the review and talkbalk is giving me this kinda icky feeling inside. I keep imaging Steve J. Blum voicing over (even though he doesn't play him in this, just the tv series) in this blurry mummifed sex scene with heat rays and it's giving me goosebumps in the wrong kind of way.

@ Tuxedocat
I've enjoyed the Toriko dub. It's a lot more self aware than the Japanese and there are a lot more food puns and food oriented phrases like "up shitake mushroom creek" or "taste the rainbow." Overall, I really liked it despite being insecure about the casting choices, which disappeared completely after watching it. Everyone does a great job. Loved Ian Sinclair as Toriko. He does sound a bit like John Wayne meets surfer bro at times (as odd as that sounds) but it works. Personally, I really enjoyed the commentary for the first episode. Ian Sinclair makes you very hungry with his personal Full Course Menu of Life.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
@ Tuxedocat
I've enjoyed the Toriko dub. It's a lot more self aware than the Japanese and there are a lot more food puns and food oriented phrases like "up shitake mushroom creek" or "taste the rainbow." Overall, I really liked it despite being insecure about the casting choices, which disappeared completely after watching it. Everyone does a great job. Loved Ian Sinclair as Toriko. He does sound a bit like John Wayne meets surfer bro at times (as odd as that sounds) but it works. Personally, I really enjoyed the commentary for the first episode. Ian Sinclair makes you very hungry with his personal Full Course Menu of Life.

That sounds hilarious, thanks! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5