• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, June 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pykrete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
^ I guess I didn't make it clear (enough). Even I think averaging 50k for the next 22 weeks is very difficult. I simply stated such as like the only way Shingeki can come anywhere close to One Piece 2012 overall sales.

To get anywhere close to 20m, it has to do 50k average or better for the rest of 2013 count (22 weeks remaining).

Maybe for the remainder of its anime run (next 15 weeks), it can manage 50k per week. But in the last 7 weeks (with no more anime), it will drop. Plus, episode 14 is a recap - so I don't expect 50k average for that week.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
pykrete wrote:
^ I guess I didn't make it clear (enough). Even I think averaging 50k for the next 22 weeks is very difficult. I simply stated such as like the only way Shingeki can come anywhere close to One Piece 2012 overall sales.

To get anywhere close to 20m, it has to do 50k average or better for the rest of 2013 count (22 weeks remaining).

Maybe for the remainder of its anime run (next 15 weeks), it can manage 50k per week. But in the last 7 weeks (with no more anime), it will drop. Plus, episode 14 is a recap - so I don't expect 50k average for that week.

I understood, and is because of that the competition will be interesting. Seeing if Shingeki will keep up with the current pace, watching his weeks fluctuations and finally see the year rankings(and finally see how the last part of this One Piece year backlog done, an increase or a decrease? how steep?) will be pure fun, more than seeing everybody getting his asses kicked by One Piece, without he making any effort.
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
people keep in mind that one piece had only 1 volume released this first half, that's why it had only 8 millions volumes sales in total, it's gonna have 2 volumes released for the second half so most likely in the overall sales one piece is gonna have atleast +20mill vol sales
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
ashura zoldyck wrote:
people keep in mind that one piece had only 1 volume released this first half, that's why it had only 8 millions volumes sales in total, it's gonna have 2 volumes released for the second half so most likely in the overall sales one piece is gonna have atleast +20mill vol sales

20 Millions sales IF this year second half backlog sells is better than last year second half. In reality it have to be 6 Millions, last year was 4 Millions only.

I don't think this year One Piece will make 20M, unless it sells 3 more volumes instead of the 2 everybody is expecting.
shokenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
attack on titan will beat one piece if its free or in your dreams scenarios Laughing
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
With Chihayafuru doing so well, I hope its not completely in vain to wish for a third season...
Ginsan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
but the best any manga done in years.

You have read nothing yet if you think Shingeki no Kyojin is the best manga done in years
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
bigivel wrote:

You have read nothing yet if you think Shingeki no Kyojin is the best manga done in years

I made a little mistake in that fragment of the phrase. Corrected is "but the best any manga had in years".
I don't understand how did you took the phrase "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but the best any manga done in years" and interpreted it as "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but he is the best manga done in years". Obviously I was talking about is chances of surpassing One Piece in the rankings, as the previous sentence, in that phrase, explicitly says.
The complete phrase corrected is "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but the best any manga had in years". That is a fact, because, at least, since 2008, 5 years ago, One Piece had always more than 1.7 Millions copies sold than the second place. The actual numbers he made in comparison with the second are:
2008- > by 1.7 Millions
2009- > by 7.9 Millions (More than second profits)
2010- > by 24.9 Millions (More than 3 times second profits)
2011- > by 31 Millions (More than 4.5 times second profits)
2012- > by 15.4 Millions (Almost More than 2 times second profits).

Now I'm interested to know which mangas created in recent years, ~5 years interval, do you think are better than Shingeki no Kyojin.
pykrete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
bigivel wrote:

He was talking about "objective" sales performance and sales potential, which can be measured in numbers.

NOT "subjective" quality of the manga. Please do not derail the discussion. We're talking MATH here, not Creative Writing.
pykrete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Ginsan wrote:
bigivel wrote:

I made a little mistake in that fragment of the phrase. Corrected is "but the best any manga had in years".
I don't understand how did you took the phrase "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but the best any manga done in years" and interpreted it as "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but he is the best manga done in years". Obviously I was talking about is chances of surpassing One Piece in the rankings, as the previous sentence, in that phrase, explicitly says.
The complete phrase corrected is "Shingeki has a chance to surpass One Piece, a really slim one, but the best any manga had in years". That is a fact, because, at least, since 2008, 5 years ago, One Piece had always more than 1.7 Millions copies sold than the second place. The actual numbers he made in comparison with the second are:
2008- > by 1.7 Millions
2009- > by 7.9 Millions (More than second profits)
2010- > by 24.9 Millions (More than 3 times second profits)
2011- > by 31 Millions (More than 4.5 times second profits)
2012- > by 15.4 Millions (Almost More than 2 times second profits).

Now I'm interested to know which mangas created in recent years, ~5 years interval, do you think are better than Shingeki no Kyojin.

2012 23,464,866 (One Piece) - 8,070,446 (Kuroko)
2011 37,996,373 (One Piece) - 6,874,840 (Naruto)
2010 32,343,809 (One Piece) - 7,409,068 (Naruto)
2009 14,721,241 (One Piece) - 6,836,494 (Naruto)
2008 5,956,540 (One Piece) - 4,261,054 (Naruto)

What's even more impressive is that Shingeki is already selling this much with just 10 volumes. In 2008, One Piece already has 51 volumes and Naruto 44 volumes while in 2012, Kuroko already had 19 volumes, Naruto - 62, One Piece - 68.

Its comparable to Blue Exorcist which in 2011 managed to grab third place with just 7 volumes and Kimi ni Todoke 2010 third place with 12 volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2