• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the difference is in how glorious the corniness is.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The original Gatchaman was pretty corny itself if you really think about it.

<shrugs>I was 9 or 10 when I saw Battle of the Planets back in the 70's. Who knows, maybe if I saw it now I would think its corny too. I'm giving Gatchaman Crowds a chance because maybe its being deliberate with its antics in order to deliver a laugh, which might then be funny, or maybe it doesn't realize its own corniness which then would be lame. Still character designs turned me off, but I did like some of the psychedelic colors when they first entered the base. Anyways, we'll see how it goes...
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Best soundtrack this season already! Cool

"GA~TCHA~MAAAAAAAN!" *SHEEEN*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
CROWDS comes off as a studio that is still angry that no one got or liked their grand vision of Money being the satan, school children being casually murdered (as heavy handed metaphor for money being the satan) and the ultimate goal is to screw your pokemon who might be your future-maybe-daughter (because Money is, say it with me kids, the satan) that they called [c] whilst missing the fact that it was hated with good reason, it was God-freaking-awful.

Angry at the plebs who just couldn't get their vision of Art, they went on a complete wobbly trying to shoehorn in another regressionist statement; "Smartphones and their impact on society is the Satan. Notebooks are The Jesus", and take a few orange-socks to the face of one of it's most well known franchise as some sort of revenge grudge-fudge public wrist slitting ritual that, sadly, will probably get the same "IT ART THEREFORE IMMUNE TO CRITICISM" response from the hyper retentive so and sos who thought Flowers of Evil was any cop because it decided that Rotoscoping on the miniscule budget that anime is want to have is a good idea (spoilers: it wasn't).

God help us if they do this to Samurai Pizza Cats or Tekkaman Blade
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
You forgot to mention that their secret base seems to be in a closed-down Chuck E Cheese.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
You forgot to mention that their secret base seems to be in a closed-down Chuck E Cheese.
[incoherent gargling noises caused by anyurism]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty fun and very silly show. I did like the MC quite a bit. Hard to say how I'll feel about it after the novelty wears off, though. Also, it's clearly not aimed at adults, but I still found it entertaining.

I'll have to see a couple more episodes before I can decide if this is worth watching over the long haul.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Really love the music and the opening. The art is a bit abstract but I kind of like that. As for the story and show I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I really do hate this trope in anime where cellphone are this "special magical device that can do everything and anything." In this case its a notebooks and cellphones. Still its just lazy writing.

I will probably have to watch a few more episodes to see if it gets better. Having just watched the 1st episode I'm not sure what to think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
So this pretty much more about effects of social media on society,rather than fighting new monster every week.Unlike what Conan-san suggested this isnt some neo Luddite propaganda,as this show pretty much acknowledges the benefits of social media,and in fact it seems that it even supports it .The characters here are types ,we have Sugane who represents an old fashioned way of thinking and Hajime a completely modern and outgoing person.The show criticizes Sugane for being narrow minded and thinking that people who use GALAX only have too much time on their hands,so far he has just been shown as being needlessly destructive .Hajime on the other hand is portrayed in the positive light.You know who old people like to tell everyone how now days people dont communicate with each other because they use the internet all the time.Well Hajime is response to that tired talk,she uses internet to communicate with even more people, bring them all together and help society.There is even a dude in the train who basically says "People like to say how kids these days suck,but that is bullshit. They are great."Her ability to communicate with everyone has been shown,spoiler[when she was dealing with that alien.It is right now quite clear that they dont need to be destroyed,and JJ had quite scary face so things are starting to be not more gray than I thought they would be.]
Best show this summer along with The Eccentric family.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep2-

Just enough interesting content for me to not drop the show. It's currently sitting at a 0 rating with me, which means the goods and bads completely balance out. An average rating.

It gets serious props for accomplishing in episode 2 what I figured would drag on for 13eps. I'm glad that the story looks like it'll have more meat than the crap story I was expecting.

I laugh that the first WTF moment of the episode for me in a show where a hurricane girl goes all Virtual On and throws scissors everywhere turned out to be when she was decorating her room and her boob size seemed to decrease dramatically. LOL. The second came with the quick scenes of Utsutsu spoiler[ (plural) ] working away.

spoiler[I also think I fell into a trap this episode. When glasses girl left the station I was all like "Oooh! Glasses AND those thigh straps I love so much." ... *wig removed* Oh god damnit! ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Hajime sure has a personality, and it is continuously glorious. She questions everything, but also accepting. I love how she has respect for her elders, but also treats everyone equal. spoiler[Sitting down with the man], brilliant, although looked like he got spoiler[spooked by how "sharp" she is].

Solving the problems peacefully. And what was with the person at the end?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
I like Hajime's eccentric personality. She was the only reason I did not close the tab.
wm4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
In opposite, I just realized that the show is totally unrelated to social network, or the weird behaviors
after all. As the story title "Asymmetry" suggests, Hajime & Sugane are totally different, but they
are just like the two sides of a coin, they have the common trait of pursuing "Justice" (I think it's
the key element.) Hajime didn't really deny Sugane's will, there are always evils in this world that
we need to punch, but MESS's aren't among them.

I think the social network part is nothing but a mere hype, the show aren't criticizing them, and
of course it has no way to kill them. They have actually no parts in it excepting as the tool, to be
used by Galax or maybe the main casts.

In a bigger picture, we are in a fictional Japan in which the country is seemly failing, as the
reportedly corrupted Japan administration puts a strong stance against stepping down. As audience
we all knows what will happened in reality, of course. (I didn't put a spoiler tag here and you guys
definitely never notice it, so the tag won't make sense.)

The following is my speculation. In short, I think the main point of the show is: as the Gatchaman,
they need to adapt to a more modern society with a classical crisis, and to make the right decision
for justice.

spoiler[Then Galax will make the hype of the world not working out and shout out for radical actions,
conspire to override Japan government, and build a Fascist society order in which the elite
Galactors hold absolute powers. Well, it looks like a plot the old fans felt very familiar, isn't it?

There will be some one like Sugane, who will rush all out into one of the clan, most probably
the Galax side - since they have the people, and think that he is helping the right people. And
Joe, who will just stands with the authories and thinks the Galax as some riots, completely against
the majority. And Hajime, you know, who will never make a quick decision until she gets the points.
I think it will go with the drama the Gatchaman clan face when the situation will become more
unseeable.]

OTOH, I feel like Ep2 was trolling the some old fans very hard, I sounds like it said "you don't
know what Gatchaman is and you said it's not a Gatchaman, you are an idiot!!"
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Because that Holistic attitude to the audience has done WONDERS for other shows before it.

Just ask Flowers of Evil and it's tons of not sales.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
@conan-san
Just what is a "holistic attitude to the audience"?? And what does Flowers of Evil have to do with this show??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12