• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English-Dubbed Girls und Panzer Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
eureka17 wrote:
Hope that means that there would be better translations than the fan English subs which should be really called "English subs (with random German subs, even though at most moments they're still speaking Japanese)." Of course, I never got why are their schools are on aircraft carriers and could just use planes instead of tanks and keep the tank schools on dry land so they can just practice tanking there.

None of the sub groups did that, what are you talking about?(commie released 2 scripts for each episode).

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yes, I was waiting for this show to have an English version performed. It'll be fun watching the differing teams doing battle with their custom-made tanks, with no use of camouflage involved. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
None of the sub groups did that, what are you talking about?(commie released 2 scripts for each episode).
Initially they only released the gratuitous German infested version; the more English scripts were only added after a number of people pointed out how idiotic the former were.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Initially they only released the gratuitous German infested version; the more English scripts were only added after a number of people pointed out how idiotic the former were.

Yes, since episode 2.

So I don't really get the problem with commie's subs.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:
The main problem I had with this show (since I'm a military and history buff) is the fact that every tank driven by the main Panzer teams in this show, in real life, would be out classed by the Panzer Mk4, because unlike the Mk3 the Mk4 came standard with a short barrel 75. It also had a far superior design to all other medium tanks at the time of its introduction into the war with the exception of the T-34 in 1940.

What? The Panzer IV is a good tank, but it gets easily outclassed by some of the others featured in the show.

That's why I said "in real life" they wouldn't stand a chance. Only post 1940's tanks like the M4 Sherman and the T-34 could stand a chance. Well and a few pre 1940 heavy tanks could as well, but by the time the Mk4 came along only Russia had a heavy tank (KV-1) that could kill a Mk4. None of the tanks driven by the main cast members of this show had a post 1940's tank. They all had obsolete junk, but the show for plot purposes made the other tanks better then they actually were so they could compete against the far superior Panzer Mk4. There is a reason why the Allies need to create a new generation of tanks like the M4 and T-34, and it's because nothing the allies had at the time could compete with a Mk4.

Last edited by Cyberphobe on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Polycell wrote:
rederoin wrote:

Yes, since episode 2.

So I don't really get the problem with commie's subs.
So the existence of an alternative track that's less stupid negates the insistence on the Special Ed track. Fsck logic!

Last edited by Polycell on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
None of the tanks driven by the main cast members of this show had a post 1940's tank.

Here is your problem. 'main cast members' is completely vague. I have no idea if you're only referring to Oarai teams or if this includes Pravda, Black Forest, Saunders, and/or St. Gloriana teams as well. Maho for instance is a major character and commander of Black Forest and rides a Tiger I that easily surpasses the Panzer IV, get it?
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This is all I have to say.

Now all we need is a TV deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:
None of the tanks driven by the main cast members of this show had a post 1940's tank.

Here is your problem. 'main cast members' is completely vague. I have no idea if you're only referring to Oarai teams or if this includes Pravda, Black Forest, Saunders, and/or St. Gloriana teams as well. Maho for instance is a major character and commander of Black Forest and rides a Tiger I that easily surpasses the Panzer IV, get it?

Oops sorry I completely forgot about that. In that instance your right The Tiger outclasses the Mk4 in everything but reliability and speed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
There's no way he's seen the series if he's bitching about the other Oarai tanks being inferior. The Panzer IV does go up against stronger tanks, like the spoiler[Tiger I and the Churchill, as well as a Sherman Firefly], but of the starting one it may be the best, aside from the StuG III, which is definitely an anti-armor piece of equipment.

I'd like to know specifically if all of the original musical choices will be present in this release. No Katyusha may be a deal breaker.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

Not sure a TV deal would make sense. Grooming girls thru tankery isn't really badass for US TV. Badass tanks would though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
And boy does GuP ever have badass tanks. It'd definitely be an interesting experiment on TV at least. Sentai seems to think that this show can be a much bigger hit than one of their usual shows. I mean, they brought a tank to AX. What other show have they shown more effort to reach fans than that?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

As much as we'd like it, this is Sentai Filmworks we're talking about here. They'd probably demand something ludicrous like an arm, a leg, and the soul of Jason DeMarco if Williams Street wants the broadcast rights, and even then it may not be enough.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's no way he's seen the series if he's bitching about the other Oarai tanks being inferior. The Panzer IV does go up against stronger tanks, like the spoiler[Tiger I and the Churchill, as well as a Sherman Firefly], but of the starting one it may be the best, aside from the StuG III, which is definitely an anti-armor piece of equipment.

The StuG III was a tank destroyer, but was at a disadvantage being it was an assault gun. I already said the Tiger and Sherman were better, but the Churchill was not a good tank. Most British tankers hated the Churchill, and preferred the Sherman, because it was a poor design even to the by that point dated Mk4. When the Mk4 was upgraded with the high velocity 75 even the Firefly had difficulties against it. I'm talking reality not the fiction of the show.

Last edited by Cyberphobe on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You're also making 1 on 1 comparisons. Enough Shermans can take down a Tiger I with planning and proper execution, and all of the battles except the one to familiarize themselves with the tanks, were team skirmishes. Even if a Panzer IV is better than a Firefly, it doesn't take it on alone. spoiler[Not that it matters, it didn't have the upgraded barrel at that time.] Yeah, there's a lot of fiction in the show, but you're talking out your ass without even having seen any of the scenes to know what you're bitching about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5