• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Release Details and Viz Signature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
All right. Monster rocks, can't wait to buy it.

As for Vagabond, with the cheaper price tag, I may actually check it out now. Especially since I hear nothing but positive reviews over it...
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Phoenix volume 6...it's about damn time.

Here's hoping they use the new imprint as an excuse to give us the rest of Black Jack...
Takeponsama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping when they say "re-release" of Phoenix, they mean continuation. I was really upset when they stopped translating it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:

As for Vagabond, with the cheaper price tag, I may actually check it out now. Especially since I hear nothing but positive reviews over it...

Well the original Editor's choice title from Vol. 4-20 were only 9.99.
Not only that, but the quality of the book are awesome, you get quality white paper, bigger size (6x8) and all the color pages. The book felt sturdy and you can tell all production they put into this book.

The re-release, I'm guessing from all the recent editier's choice title like Blue Spring and Flower & Bee it will be smaller size (5x7), crappier brown paper and no color pages--- like most of Viz's manga.

If this is true, I rather get the Editor's Choice version, since the quality beat almost every Viz title to date. If they mean by re-release as in continuation from volume 21 and up, I sure hope they keep the same quality of the Editor's Choice lineup or I will be pretty pissed off.

I'm still hoping they bring in GANTz. I was re-reading the title last week and it's still as awesome the second time around.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
huh?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:
Signature eh? Maybe these manga books will be devoid of the problems like poor bindings, cheap materials, and miss-cut pages(or it could just be that they cropped the pages incorrectly) that are so prevelant in VIZ's other product lines.

not probable.
im just glad i can finally read golgo 13. and its too bad about the wait untill 20CB. i really wanted to know what happened, then it was licensed. i guess the wait will just heighten my aniticipation, that or i'll completely lose interest.
red stranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Monster #1 delayed again?!

Till feb 21st!?

must...break something.

Well the wait will be worth it.

What are you complaining about? This will be, what, the third time Viz republishs Phoenix, without actually having published the complete series even once. I bet they'll even publish it in a different size again, just to spit at us. Sad
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
hawt.

This really excites me. I'm one of those elitist asshats who hates it when people say that manga is trash for kids. Hoping they can grab the really great titles for this.

(I was THIS close to saying that Death Note should be on this list.)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still hoping they bring in GANTz. I was re-reading the title last week and it's still as awesome the second time around.

They don't seem to big on licencing Shueisha's mature stuff outside a couple of exceptions (after all, let's face it, their seinen stuff is for the most part pitiful compared to the other big companies). Personally, I would rather put Gantz under the action label and would hope they'd steer this new line in a diffrent direction.
Quote:
I bet they'll even publish it in a different size again, just to spit at us.

No, they'd never do that! Viz loves their fans! I'm going to be pissed if they reformat Vagabond though. The Editor's Choice trades were such a nice deal (even the 13 buck trades were well worth it), and Inoue's art really benefits from the high quality ink, especially his style in recent volumes.
Quote:
Come Viz, put No.5 on this imprint. I DEMAND IT.

I thought this was a lost cause, but if they're willing to take a chance on Sexy Voice and Robo I don't see why not trying to sell No.5 again. Too bad it will probobly be in the small format without those wonderful dust jackets.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
How is Gantz old? It's still going in Japan. I too would love to see it get licensed.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
How is Gantz old? It's still going in Japan. I too would love to see it get licensed.

Error on my part. I meant title's aimed at older audiences.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
"This line will reach a more sophisticated audience in the U.S."

So, does this mean that the titles don't have to be domesticated or censored for our protection? Does this mean that us sophisticated folks can actually have Japanese cultural references (entrance exams, "ronin", etc.) kept within the manga's pages? Further, would that mean that Viz would keep Japanese honorifics in the text, as I strongly believe they should?

For some reason, I doubt that Viz will be able to gain any of my business. I gave them all I was going to give them in the initial (and raped) release of Maison Ikkoku. While they did re-release it unflipped and with the dropped chapters re-inserted, the translation stayed the same, thus entrance exams remained "mid-terms" (which of course made no sense for someone to be constantly failing their mid-terms and having to study to finally pass them) and so forth. Thus, I refused to pay them a 2nd time.

However, should Viz's "sophisticated" line be up to my standards AND they decide that Maison Ikkoku quallifies to be considered for re-release under that line, well then they'd get my money and I'd consider their other titles in that line.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
Nice. Quite glad Monster is amking it over. Golgo sounds good too. I'm quite happy older audience titles are coming over. I love finding some of Viz's older Pulp imprint from the 90s too. Don't know the status of that wonderful imprint and its liscences.

-Xenos
appleturbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see Viz make their edits in a more mature and sophisticated way. Evil or Very Mad
fansubs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
I can't wait to see Viz make their edits in a more mature and sophisticated way. Evil or Very Mad

damn it i was gonna say that

i bet my life that they will edit something in this "sophisticated"
line up of manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
fansubs wrote:
appleturbo wrote:

damn it i was gonna say that

i bet my life that they will edit something in this "sophisticated"
line up of manga

Okay, thanks for sharing your personal bet. Are you saying that because you're mad at Viz or are you saying that because you have some to fall back on? I don't remember any Editor's Choice being censored at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3