• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe in Houston

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxg97873

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
hmmm...I wonder if he would autograph my Cowboy Bebop dvd if I brought it in.

mk2000
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I might have some news. I emailed the Houston Museum of Natural Science and got this reply:

"The rumors you hear are true, though the details are yet to be announced . . .heresay is he will be speaking for ~3 hours (7pm-10pm) about his work and it will be a ticketed event (it will cost) and the availibility will be in the 300-400 ticket range . . . the 12th has been mentioned as an extra day if the 11th sells out. Please check back for further information."

When I first read this I thought it said the tickets were going to cost 300-400$, and I was going to freak out Shocked , but I don't know, the wording to me seems at closer reading to mean 300-400 tickets available for purchase. It's a little unclear to me. I'll email them back for a little more clarity or call the Museum or the Consulate. Since it will be in the IMAX theater and the presentation will be 3 hours long, I would think some of his work will be shown. Again, this is "hearsay" from a Museum representative Webmaster so none of this is set in stone.

Last edited by freshkazuki on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
"The rumors you hear are true, though the details are yet to be announced . . .heresay is he will be speaking for ~3 hours (7pm-10pm) about his work and it will be a ticketed event (it will cost) and the availibility will be in the 300-400 ticket range . . . the 12th has been mentioned as an extra day if the 11th sells out. Please check back for further information."

If this is true, that will totally suck. 300-400$. Come on Sad

You might ask for clarification that it's 300-400 dollars a ticket, and not 300-400 tickets available. It sounds to me more like the latter.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Good news!!!! Very Happy

I already got a reply from the Museum Webmaster:

"300-400 available seats is the assumption I am going on, our IMAX theater has 394 seats and I think it will be held in there. Our lectures are usually $12 for members and $15 for non-members - seems a whole lot better than $300!!- sorry for the confusion.

HMNS Webmaster"

3 hours? Maybe Watanabe would speak, take some questions, and view some anime on the IMAX screen? That would be something to see Bebop on there. Or Samurai Champloo. I sent an email to the Consulate tonight also to see if they had more info. I'm really curious as to what would bring Watanabe to Houston.

Last edited by freshkazuki on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:

3 hours? Maybe Watanabe would speak, take some questions, and view some anime on the IMAX screen? That would be something to see Bebop on there. Or Samurai Champloo.

Possibly, but not very likely. Theaters are actually quite commonly used as large meeting rooms, but they'd have to use DLP or LCD projectors... not the IMAX system for projection, which I'm not sure that theater is equipped with (not to mention with inputs for the audio system). If they were able to show something, it wouldn't be in IMAX format (the whole screen).

I guess I'll call the Consulate-General tomorrow and see what info they might have.
Proz512

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I missed my chance at AnimeFest, I don't want to let this pass by me again. I'd like to know when tickets are available because I'll be there.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
freshkazuki wrote:

3 hours? Maybe Watanabe would speak, take some questions, and view some anime on the IMAX screen? That would be something to see Bebop on there. Or Samurai Champloo.

Possibly, but not very likely. Theaters are actually quite commonly used as large meeting rooms, but they'd have to use DLP or LCD projectors... not the IMAX system for projection, which I'm not sure that theater is equipped with (not to mention with inputs for the audio system). If they were able to show something, it wouldn't be in IMAX format (the whole screen).

I guess I'll call the Consulate-General tomorrow and see what info they might have.

well it's three hours, so i'm sure he'll have some visual aids to keep people's interest, even if not on the Imax Screen.

damn, 300-400 tickets? i'm gonna have to act fast.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Houston where ADV is located?

But ADV doesn't have anything to do with him do they?

Maybe he has a degree in something that relates to the field, and the fact that he's a anime director has nothing to do with it.

Finally, are we sure it's the same guy? Wantanabe is a pretty common name...
jcaliff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
I received an email from the Consulate the first week of December about this. They wanted to know what sort of things to ask him to talk about, what panel formats would be good, etc. The body of the message I got from them was:

"We are planning to bring Anime director Shinjiro Watanabe (person#774) to Houston in February. He said that we should decide what he should talk about. Since we have no idea about what anime fans like to hear, we thought it would be good to hear your thoughts about possible topics. Also, we need to think about the format of the presentation. Do you think it would be better as a lecture followed by a Q&A session or a panel discussion? If you have any other ideas, please let me know. "

I wrote back and made some suggestions, but I haven't heard anything else about it since then. It's nice to see that it's actually happening. Apparently, the people organizing are familiar with ANN since they included the link in the email. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fxg97873

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
it's also the first hit on google Smile
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I emailed the Japanese Consulate in Houston yesterday and I got a reply today saying that no details of the visit have been confirmed, including ticket prices, so I guess until that happens, everything is pretty much up in the air, with the only confirmed information being that Watanabe is going to make an appearance on the 11th at the Museum of Natural Science. They did say they would email me more details when they become available.

The Consulate did e-mail me the flyer where the appearance was first announced. Next to a picture of the Bebop crew it stated the following:

" AN INSIDE LOOK INTO THE WORLD OF ANIME
A Lecture by Anime Director, Mr. Shinichiro Watanabe

Mr. Shinichiro Watanabe is a Japanese director and writer for the famed anime series,
Cowboy Bebop, in addition to Samurai Champloo and The Animatrix. He is noted for
blending multiple genres together. In Cowboy Bebop, classic cowboy western mixes with
1940/50's New York film noir, Hong Kong action movies, and plenty of other personal
influences. Mr. Watanabe’s love for music is reflected in the blend of jazz, blues, funk and
New Age music that is found throughout the soundtrack of Cowboy Bebop.
February 11 (Saturday) Location to be announced, Houston"

Hope people are finding some answers to their questions somewhere in my posts Smile I don't know if Yoko Kanno would appreciate being described as "new age music" though Wink

Last edited by freshkazuki on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
patch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
Whoever attends please take notes/record this for us!

I'm dying to hear his talk, and just checked roundtrip airline tickets for that day and ~$400 is a little too steep... Sad
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:

I'm dying to hear his talk, and just checked roundtrip airline tickets for that day and ~$400 is a little too steep... Sad

I'd be more then glad to take notes, and record it, as long as they let recording devices in. I must ask what you used to check prices though. Roundtrip same-day return on Priceline and Expedia is right ~ $230. Still a bit steep for my tastes to blow on one day, but a bit more doable then ~$400.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:
hmmm...I wonder if he would autograph my Cowboy Bebop dvd if I brought it in.

mk2000

Why? Then your nice DVD cover will get messed up with giant messy scribbles.

patch wrote:
Whoever attends please take notes/record this for us!

I'm dying to hear his talk,(

Assuming he can only speak Japanese, all you will be hearing is a translator or really bad engrish. I wonder if Wanatabe speaks English well.
patch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
I'd be more then glad to take notes, and record it, as long as they let recording devices in. I must ask what you used to check prices though. Roundtrip same-day return on Priceline and Expedia is right ~ $230. Still a bit steep for my tastes to blow on one day, but a bit more doable then ~$400.

Used Priceline, looked for roundtrip sameday, now it seems like its ~300, It might just be cheaper/easier if I did roundtrip with overnight stay, but still like you said maybe a still a bit much.

Would really appriciate anything you can do Kazuki-san I'll try to find out what the museum's policy is.

darkhunter wrote:
Assuming he can only speak Japanese, all you will be hearing is a translator or really bad engrish. I wonder if Wanatabe speaks English well.

Every interview of his that I've seen has always been in Japanese with translator, so most likely this lecture will be as well. Either way I think a recording would be great, best thing possible since I'm actually unable to go to the event.

Last edited by patch on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4