• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eden of the East: King of Eden DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heibi

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Though the quality is top notch for the video and sound, I still find the Blu-ray subtitles extremely lacking. I've noticed on any Blu-ray I've purchased from Funimation that the subtitles are very hard to read. They are too thin with almost no outline. The titles tend to blend in with the background. I've mentioned this to Funimation a few times and they still haven't altered this. I've had to stick with their standard DVD format due to this.

On their Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood first set The subtitles were almost invisible in some scenes. Especially ones with bright backgrounds. Claymore was similar.

The only reason I bought the combo pack was because it had the standard DVD in it.

An example of good subtitles on Blu-ray would be Bandai's recent release of K-on! Vol 1.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well I liked the sequel just because I liked the original so much and I hope they do more.

There does seem to be a rushed or "limited" feel to this, as the review points out. It ends at a very inconclusive spot, not even a cliff-hanger. All the wrong things are explained in lecture dialog. Yet it is still good.

I would like to see Saki land on a foreign shore without losing everything she owns. Passport, purse, coat, cellphone. What a ditz she is that way. At the same time she can act with poise when confronted with a strange naked boy waving a gun on a public street. In front of the White House no less. That will always be the signature scene of this story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2