• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 1 Sells 53,000 as #1 TV Anime BD in 1st Week

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

It may also be possible to just keep the scripts, and if playing off a computer BRD player, to just load the subtitles while the video is going, but I'm not sure.

It's very much possible.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Now if only there was a subtitled release I could buy... still haven't learned enough Japanese.
opn

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why is this so popular?? What is this??

its basically evangelion....except with magical girls instead of robots. Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
there is no tracking for nanoha at that time(2004) and there is no bluray.
Nanoha movie sold more than Madoka in the first week.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Movie sales=/=TV anime sales
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Movie sales=/=TV anime sales

still count as bluray sell.
that's why they have to make up a category as "#1 television anime release in first-week Blu-ray sales to date" not the best selling anime in the first-week.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Of course not, that would be Evangelion 2.22 with a ridiculous like 300k BDs sold or something.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
i though FF 7:AC is the best seller. i could be wrong. i don't remember all the number.

Evangelion 2.22 is new, so i think it could beat the FF7:AC record.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Per wiki, ~274k BD copies sold first week for Advent Children.

Per ANN, ~355k BD copies sold first week for Eva 2.22
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah you are right. i forget that FF7 didn't has a blu-ray release at the beginning.
I remember reading an article about FF7:AC was the best selling anime dvd ever(world sale), but that was old. i think some anime could beat it by now.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Cool if it sell this much there I wounder if some one going to license soon
underlock

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
BD sales will only grow from now on. If Bakemonogatari didn't appear in the depths of depression, wouldn't it sell as much? I wonder.

Not that I think 52k is a low number, heck, I compliment it for selling as many.

What I fear is monopolization. Clearly, "mono" is impossible here, but if sales get too centralized around a couple of studios things will get really ugly. Right now I'm looking at Shaft and Kyoani. To think studios have more influence than the work itself... shallow mindset.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BD sales will only grow from now on. If Bakemonogatari didn't appear in the depths of depression, wouldn't it sell as much? I wonder.

Not that I think 52k is a low number, heck, I compliment it for selling as many.

What I fear is monopolization. Clearly, "mono" is impossible here, but if sales get too centralized around a couple of studios things will get really ugly. Right now I'm looking at Shaft and Kyoani. To think studios have more influence than the work itself... shallow mindset.

You're not the only one who thinks this...
Suzuku21

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Yes, there was.

魔法少女リリカルなのは【全5巻】
巻数 初動 発売日
01巻 3,680 05.01.26 ※2週計 4,856
02巻 5,701 05.02.23
03巻 3,458 05.03.24
04巻 3,432 05.04.27
05巻 4,113 05.05.25

Doesn't matter if there was no BD. That said, Oricon didn't have as many retailers reporting to it back then. Either way, it's not as big as Madoka.

Quote:

That's a movie. A Madoka movie would sale more than the Nanoha movie.

underlock wrote:

No, they're selling on the merits of the show not the studio. SHAFT rarely produces anime that sale more than a couple thousand units per volume, most of their stuff sits around 3,000-5,000 units per volume. There only breakaway hits are Bake and Madoka, which happen to be the two best selling anime in the past decade. As for KyoAni, Nichijou isn't going to be a hit success based on current Amazon rankings, so they're not full proof just because they're name is KyoAni.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:

i don't see any monopoly. Shaft and Kyoani don't have that many big titles. Shaft just have couple popular. lol

It will not effect the big one like Studio Ghibli, Sunrise, Madhouse. or the small one like P.A. Works and Ufotable will continue to make good anime.

Madhouse get money from big companies like Marvel, now Disney(Blade, Wolverine and X-Men), Square Enix, Capcom, and other American companies. They make animation for those companies to promo those companies products.

Ufotable's Kara no Kyoukai movie was a great success and they are making Fate/Zero right now.

P.A. Works only have 4 anime series so far, but they were all top tier series, True Tears, Canaan, Angel Beats, and Hanasaku Iroha

each Studio will work on their own projects and target on different target different audience/otaku.

Suzuku21 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Yes, there was.

魔法少女リリカルなのは【全5巻】
巻数 初動 発売日
01巻 3,680 05.01.26 ※2週計 4,856
02巻 5,701 05.02.23
03巻 3,458 05.03.24
04巻 3,432 05.04.27
05巻 4,113 05.05.25

Doesn't matter if there was no BD. That said, Oricon didn't have as many retailers reporting to it back then. Either way, it's not as big as Madoka.

it matters because different time period. at that time, Nanoha is just as big as Madoka. IF they remake nanoha into HD format, the number will be different. I use the movie as an example because the time period are close. You can go back and read my statement.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11