• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Run Naruto: Shippuden the Movie on May 15

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get how Disney Anime hyper got Naruto Shippuden in the first place considering Naruto is very anti-Disney. CN should have got it.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
great! i hope i don't miss it Cool

i've been missing shippuden because i don't know what the time slots are... and when i do see them it's on like 1 am which i just can't stay up that late.
Mohji

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Thunderbird- wrote:
I hope that this means that Naruto Shippuden is doing well and that will get Disney Anime hyper to show more anime.

I wonder if this means they will get back to running new episodes for the series anytime soon. Always disappointing to see it appearing in the to record list, only to get home Wednesday night and not find it waiting.

They're still airing new episodes. However, the timeslot recently changed to Saturdays at 11pm EST.

Times like these I wish The Click was still around.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
well manga uk has the second so viz is probably dubbing the second one now....at least i hope since i really want to own that. Surprised

Where's your source/proof that Manga UK licensed the second shippuden movie?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohji wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
Thunderbird- wrote:
I hope that this means that Naruto Shippuden is doing well and that will get Disney Anime hyper to show more anime.

I wonder if this means they will get back to running new episodes for the series anytime soon. Always disappointing to see it appearing in the to record list, only to get home Wednesday night and not find it waiting.

They're still airing new episodes. However, the timeslot recently changed to Saturdays at 11pm EST.

Times like these I wish The Click was still around.

Is that when they're showing it? I was under the impression disney didn't really care much about shippuden anymore since I've only really seen it randomly late sunday nights when I flat iron my hair. I guess it's no surprise their using naruto like CN used anime back when it still cared about anime, simply to help push attention on it's other shows. In disney's case having something like shippuden around helps to pad its marvel action block, I mean if they were serious about at least naruto not even to talk about anime in general you'd think they would have purchased the rights to air the 1st naruto series which is all but extinct on american tv. I guess CN still has the rights on that and I'm sure they'll let that expire.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:
I still don't get how Disney Anime hyper got Naruto Shippuden in the first place considering Naruto is very anti-Disney. CN should have got it.
CN's current boss hates anime (and animation in general from the looks of it) and is currently focused on pushing live-action and focusing solely on it. The ironic thing is the two shows they dropped for their live-action crusade (DBZ and Naruto) were picked up by their rivals Nickelodeon and Disney, and are basically being toted as some of both those channels top rated shows. I guess CN just hates ratings and loves to fail, given they haven't made a good show since Toonami.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CN's current boss hates anime (and animation in general from the looks of it) and is currently focused on pushing live-action and focusing solely on it. The ironic thing is the two shows they dropped for their live-action crusade (DBZ and Naruto) were picked up by their rivals Nickelodeon and Disney, and are basically being toted as some of both those channels top rated shows. I guess CN just hates ratings and loves to fail, given they haven't made a good show since Toonami.

Guessing you're separating CN from Adult Swim here, since technically they're run separately.

Still, keep an open mind and check out some of the shows. Well, unless you're not much into CN comedy because that's where CN headed when it de-emphasized action by the end of Toonami.

(BTW, which boss are you talking about?)
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
CN's current boss hates anime (and animation in general from the looks of it) and is currently focused on pushing live-action and focusing solely on it.

Not really. Live-action still only accounts for a small percentage of CN's content. On quite a few days, there's no live-action programming at all.

But I believe the reason why CN droppeed Naruto has nothing to do with a hate of anime but rather because it was pulling in the wrong demographic for CN advertisers. They're still running Pokemon, Bakugan, and I think Beyblade because those bring in the demographic (6-11) that CN really wants. I think Naruto was skewing a little bit older (older enough to make it unattractive for CN to keep anyway). The same could be said for their reason for ending Toonami in general...
configspace

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
...-snicker-
I have the DVD, but I'm tempted to watch the TV broadcast just to see how badly they're going to edit the darn thing. If the edits in the current arc are any indication (for those that aren't paying attention/watching, they just started the Hidan/Kakuzu arc), I get the feeling I know how it'll turn out. Anime hyper

Just curious, what type of scenes do they edit and how?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
...-snicker-
I have the DVD, but I'm tempted to watch the TV broadcast just to see how badly they're going to edit the darn thing. If the edits in the current arc are any indication (for those that aren't paying attention/watching, they just started the Hidan/Kakuzu arc), I get the feeling I know how it'll turn out. Anime hyper

Just curious, what type of scenes do they edit and how?
Well, I'll place them in spoiler alerts just in case there are readers that haven't seen the series by now. But in the first few episodes of the current arc, spoiler[they've edited out all references of Hidan's Jashin stabbing ritual. Such as after the capture of Yugito Nii/Two-Tails, they focus on him laying in the middle of the circle, but his staff is totally edited out and you can tell something is supposed to be there. The dialogue that follows from Hidan, Kakuzu, and Zetsu also all indicate that something was supposed to be happening other than Hidan laying inside of a circle.] Sadly due to the time change, my DVR didn't update correctly and I missed the latest four episodes, but I'm pretty sure spoiler[they edited out the part where Hidan is supposed to stab himself in order to kill Asuma as well.]

Other fun edits (and ones that still crack me up) are back during the Sasuke Retrieval arc and any references to Sasuke's sword are edited out, spoiler[so moments like the Sasuke-Naruto face off while he's making the motion to stab him, Sasuke's stabbing of Yamato, and such like that are all edited,] either completely out or very horribly in order to make it look like it's not happening.

So yeah...very interested to see how they'll handle the film. Anime hyper
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
But I believe the reason why CN droppeed Naruto has nothing to do with a hate of anime but rather because it was pulling in the wrong demographic for CN advertisers. They're still running Pokemon, Bakugan, and I think Beyblade because those bring in the demographic (6-11) that CN really wants. I think Naruto was skewing a little bit older (older enough to make it unattractive for CN to keep anyway). The same could be said for their reason for ending Toonami in general...

Eh, Disney seems happy with the demographic and mentioned the 2 - 14 being strong; at least before they moved it to 11PM; which I hope was more censorship reasons. I do believe the only reason they air those is because those have toys associated with them and CN gets a cut on the profits. They seem to be slimming down the acquired properties because they don't want to split the profits with parent companies. It's cheaper and more profitable to make their own stuff, unless it has huge toy brands associated with it. And yeah, they still air Beyblade, it's their second highest rated show on Saturday mornings behind Pokemon Black and White when I checked awhile ago.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
opn wrote:
well manga uk has the second so viz is probably dubbing the second one now....at least i hope since i really want to own that. Surprised

Where's your source/proof that Manga UK licensed the second shippuden movie?

Here: http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/MCM_London_Expo_industry_panel_news.html

Quote:
Manga also noted once again other forthcoming releases, such as Madhouse film Redline, TO, Vampire Knight, two seasons of Hetalia: Axis Powers and the second Naruto Shipuuden movie.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:

Eh, Disney seems happy with the demographic and mentioned the 2 - 14 being strong.

It goes without saying that Disney X-D has a slightly different strategy than Cartoon Network.

But back when Toonami used to run every weekday afternoon (remember that?), CN was less picky about what audience they were targeting. They would have been happy if anyone was watching the channel at the time. But at some point, probably around 2004 or so, CN started focusing more on the 6-11 crowd, probably because that was the age group that many toy and game sponsors want the most. That was their new adopted strategy, and shows like Naruto didn't fit into it.
Quote:

I do believe the only reason they air those is because those have toys associated with them and CN gets a cut on the profits.

Yep. Otherwise, they'd be long gone.
Quote:

They seem to be slimming down the acquired properties because they don't want to split the profits with parent companies. It's cheaper and more profitable to make their own stuff, unless it has huge toy brands associated with it.

That was another reason why Toonami died. CN could make more money with original productions such as Ben 10 and Generator Rex than they could with properties owned by another company like Naruto and One Piece. CN also gets a bigger chunk of the profits from merchandise based off their own properties than from acquisitions, except for the aformentioned Pokemon, Bakugan and Beyblade.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
But the question is: How badly will they edit it? Laughing

Well the answer to your question is , ITS GOING TO BE BAD! REALLY REALLY BAD!! TO NEAR 4kids bad even

Disney " crap ' D have screwed the series with it's edits that I've resorted to watching the subs on Hulu , and getting the uncut dubs on ITunes. Their edits are THAT bad!

The original version as well as their three movies and OVA that showed on CN's Toonami ( GOD I miss those days a lot ) were also edited too , but not a lot was edited to begin with.

Unfortunately The their broadcasts, have shown us what would have happened to the series is 4kids or that other company from Canada got their hands on the license all in the name of targeting a series for the wrong demograph.

I've seen bone headed exces done with the industry but giving Shippuden at the hands of Disney , as well as giving DBZ Kai to Nick and to CW4kids toonzai are the worst. Both series were doing just fine on CN , but alas.

Luckily I watched the Uncut movie at an anime convention recently, So I'm definitely skipping this 4kids style massacre. As for the TV series itself, take my advice.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE TV BROADCASTS AT ALL!!!!!

Either get the DVD,download them from ITunes, or if your cheap , watch the subs on Hulu which I'm doing right now and I ususally watch only eng dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I believe the reason why CN droppeed Naruto has nothing to do with a hate of anime but rather because it was pulling in the wrong demographic for CN advertisers I think Naruto was skewing a little bit older (older enough to make it unattractive for CN to keep anyway). The same could be said for their reason for ending Toonami in general...

Nice speculation, but people put too much stock into Naruto, really. Getting a higher demographic isn't hurting their public image, if it's what, (15-20), and that sort of audience was welcome ten years ago; Dragon Ball Z capped almost all of them and set records, that being for children(Nickelodeon, Disney, etc., 9-14), and teens and adults (MTV, 14-24), and actually brought the network numbers and an image it'd never really seen before and by superseding all of those networks for the throne;(Nickelodeon, vs. Rugrats; Disney, MTV). DBZ was like Wrestling, SpongeBob, Music; teen-adulthood, and X-Men for basic cable then, rolled into one. A networks rank they'll never achieve again.

You're right, they aimed for a 9-14 demographic for Naruto, but it tended to attract a slightly older audience. Problem with Naruto fans, is as I've said, is they tend to put too much stock into Naruto; some of them believe Naruto was Cartoon Network's highest-rated program, when in reality Ben 10 set records and had a strong audience for just the demographic the network was aiming for, and surpassed ratings records set by DBZ six years before (9-14). Naruto may have been the highest-rated Toonami program, but c'mon let's get real.... DBZ and Ben 10 were fighting for whole-network ratings ... Toonami was abandoned when Naruto was still mid-season. No network or program would terminate itself and its shows if they were doing as well as people would suggest. Truth is, of course Naruto has a cult-following (just like DBZ ...One Piece, and many Shonen-related anime), but a lot of the stuff surrounding many of those animes and their fanbases are exaggerated. And, honestly, networks like NickToons and DisneyXD are only capable of attracting less than one million viewers (which is...catastrophically less than what Cartoon Network considered "record-setting" for the stretch of their successful anime airings from 2000-2002.

So if anything, anime today is just very low-key, less mainstream, and minimizing from what it used to be, actually. The reason they opted to keep Naruto on the air is because it does have a cult following similar to Dragon Ball's... it's just more of a current title, and a bit fresh...but it could never be as mainstream as stuff like Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yi-Gi-Oh!..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3