• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mind Game awesomeness.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
How, btw, are the subs on the R2? I'm very much considering coughing up the drastic 50 odd dollars to get the legit DVD.

They are excellent. The only version of the film I've ever seen has been the R2 DVD I own, and it's wonderful. The subs are well-timed and expressive, and capture the essence of each character's personality. There's a lot of slang thrown in, which fits the Japanese dialogue perfectly. Also, the DVD packaging itself is beautiful, and there are interviews with the creators as one of the extras (including Koji Morimoto <3). Unfortunately, the interviews have so subs, but I was able to catch about 50% of what they were saying from my pre-existing Japanese knowledge and because they used so many animation terms. I definitely recommend getting the R2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Well I did finally watch it and I'd have to say it was good. Although, it could have been better if the ending wasn't such a spoiler[non-ending. Along with all that craziness it would have been nice to actually see them all make it out of there.]
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well I did finally watch it and I'd have to say it was good. Although, it could have been better if the ending wasn't such a spoiler[non-ending. Along with all that craziness it would have been nice to actually see them all make it out of there.]

On the contrary, I think the ending was absolutely perfect. spoiler[Of course they made it out. I don't think there's any question about that; the feeling of relief in that moment with Nishi and the others floating in the air after all that tension is so great it's almost tangible.] Again, it's subtext that does the storytelling here, not exposition. With this moment of relief comes the realization of the future, and each character has a personal epiphany about the possibilities that lay in front of them. I don't see how the movie could have ended any other way; if it had been more literal, it would have destroyed the delicate web of intricacies in the storytelling up to that point. That, spoiler[and I got to see my favorite character get his personal happy ending when he steps on the train]. It's not necessarily a "non-ending"; like all great films, you just have to dig a little to uncover what's going on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
(with permission to revive this thread, I am doing just that)

Mind Game is definately one of the most excellent pieces of art in any form I've ever seen/read/whatevered. After watching it the first time, I liked it so much, I watched it again later that night. One of the things I liked so much about it was it's thought provokability factor was very high (while being easy to follow and not super weird ) which did just that for me; provoke many thoughts.

One major theme I saw throughout most of the movie was the power of the mind, probably related to the name. The place I started to think about this and how it could have been used throughout the rest of the movie was in the end, spoiler[during the whale escape, theyre running on water, which is obviously impossible, but then it shows Nishi remembers that thing about water striders and it becomes possible to him. Then his ankle breaks, and him remembering he didn't drink his milk isn't helping, but he remembers, or at least thinks his mom put milk in his food, thus giving him strong bones and making them impossible to break]. That's how I saw it at least. An earlier example of this theory is that spoiler[Nishi never died. Of course, there's no way of knowing since what ultimately happened was what happened after he died. His death was, in my opinion, all in his head which gave him the courage he needed to kill the soccer dude.].

Another thing, less symbolic and more just there I liked was not so much the characters, but the characters's actions. Nishi and Myon's past of passing notes and stuff I thought was great; in some ways theyre extremely close in having this special thing going between them, but then Myon finds an actual boyfriend, spoiler[but then when theyre trapped, Myon chooses to go back to the guy she's been close to most of her life. ] Also, there was spoiler[Ojisan's desire to have everyone stay in the whale, because of his liking of being in the whale and his need of friends. ]. Another great example was spoiler[right after they get in the whale, it takes them a bit to realize they're actualy in a whale and can't get out which makes them go into their depression.] I could go on, but these were these were some of my favorite bits of characterization.

There were also so many things you could look into; the use of live action (although I've concluded that was just weird), those flashes of small scenes and how they add to the plot (I think those were genius; you can watch it over and over just for those), character significance, and one thing I've been thinking about specificly was spoiler[god]. spoiler[God] could have been so many things; Nishi's confidence, spoiler[god], a diety in his mind that allowed him to do stuff such as spoiler[run on water]; one line of his that really got me was "I'm on your side".

As you can see, I have tons to say about Mind Game, but I think I'll stop here; thanks for reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Hoenheim wrote:
One major theme I saw throughout most of the movie was the power of the mind, probably related to the name. The place I started to think about this and how it could have been used throughout the rest of the movie was in the end, spoiler[during the whale escape, theyre running on water, which is obviously impossible, but then it shows Nishi remembers that thing about water striders and it becomes possible to him. Then his ankle breaks, and him remembering he didn't drink his milk isn't helping, but he remembers, or at least thinks his mom put milk in his food, thus giving him strong bones and making them impossible to break]. That's how I saw it at least. An earlier example of this theory is that spoiler[Nishi never died. Of course, there's no way of knowing since what ultimately happened was what happened after he died. His death was, in my opinion, all in his head which gave him the courage he needed to kill the soccer dude.].

That's an interesting point, and one I haven't thought of before. It almost begs the question: how much of Mind Game took place in the mind? The theory that spoiler[Nishi's death] was some kind of endorphin-induced hallucination that provided him with the courage to bring Atsu his just desserts has merit. I think I would personally disagree, but I believe that the creators of Mind Game really wanted to leave much of the narrative up to the minds of the viewers, so different people can leave the film with different perceptions. In this sense, your theory, that it took place purely in the mind, and mine, spoiler[that Nishi actually died and came back], are BOTH correct.

As for the rest of the film, some parts are obviously pure imagination; the scenes where Nishi, Yang, and Myon each daydream about their ideal future, for instance. And some parts seem relatively grounded in reality--thinking of ways to survive and pass the time spoiler[in the belly of a whale]. But now that you mention the theory about spoiler[Nishi's dying] having just been a passing dream, I wonder about the shot near the end of the film, when the yakuza jerks awake, and we're back at the exact same place we were at the beginning of the film. I always saw this as a remark about neverending possibility, how it's never to late to turn back and make a different choice. But another theory may be that the entire film was some kind of strange premonition dream of the yakuza's, and when he awoke he decided to change the course of events in his life. So he runs off with the love of his life, and Myon and Nishi never encounter Atsu in the first place.

Both theories are possible, I think.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Funny, but I never thought of this either. I mean, it [i]is[/] the title of the movie. It makes some sense. It really makes me want to watch it all again, just to sort of apply the "theory" to it, and see what it does to my viewing experience.

Fascinating thought, Hoenheim-- it makes me want to watch the movie all over again. Smile
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Funny, but I never thought of this either. I mean, it [i]is[/] the title of the movie. It makes some sense. It really makes me want to watch it all again, just to sort of apply the "theory" to it, and see what it does to my viewing experience.

Fascinating thought, Hoenheim-- it makes me want to watch the movie all over again. Smile
Thanks, Im surprised no one had thought of it yet. Actualy, regarding the name, my initial thougths were about the power of the mind and such, but now I'm thinking it's because the whole movie is just a big mind game. With those clips of mini-scenes, and the weird events, the whole fun of it is coming up with what happened, why, the character relationships (literally, like family, friend etc.) etc. Or it could be both, and the name becomes a mind game following that same theory... but probably not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Heh, I just watched this movie about half an hour ago, and I have to say it was something else... spoiler[ freakin' awesome!]

My face hurts from laughing and smiling so much, and I got a chill up my spine just thinking about the way this film was directed. I honestly can't think of any words to describe it right now, even after reading all of these preceding posts.

It's definitely one of the stranger anime out their in terms of presentation, but good grief, it actually made sense, yet at the same time felt weird beyond the sake of weird for the sake of entertainment Anime hyper!

I found myself hooked after about 2 minutes just for the art and unorthadox style of, well, everything.

All of the "mind games," philosophical messages, imagery, symbolism, and anything they darn well drew or wrote into the script is just absolutely astonishing in the level of delivery.

There are so many favorite parts I have in this movie. But if I had to pick one, I'd say:

spoiler[ The part where Nishi died and kept seeing those HUGE replays of his brains being blown out from a gunshot through his anus, only for him to meet "God," and not except his death so easily.

Being a big fan of shounen series and that "never say die" attitutde, it's especially entertaining to see a character defy this by going against God's will, of all things. It says a lot about, not only Nishi, but what I feel a lot of people should have, in that we take things too much for granted until we face the danger of losing it all at some point.

I'm not sure if I'd call it desperation begetting determination or the other way around, but I really respect the presence of that feeling be it real life or fiction.]

And beyond that, this movie just does wonders for reinforcing the notion of living your life to the fullest. All of those far-fetched animation sequences with the rotating color palletes and the crazy movements were just plain fun to watch. There is not a single dull moment in this movie.

There are so many emotions and thoughts I got from this one of a kind film right now. But it's pretty late, and I'm like, half giddy, half full from dinner, and almost asleep at the keyboard.

On another note, I can't believe that for such a thought-provoking and mind-messing movie that no one ever bothered to label this as Psychological in the Encyc. entry.

Come tomorrow, I'll be sure to make my own additions in genre and plot summary. And this movie really needs to be seen at least once if you're any kind of anime fan.

Dang, I can't believe I never watched this until today...
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
...this movie really needs to be seen at least once if you're any kind of anime fan.

Your post made my day, Tony! Welcome to the Mind Game family.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Laughing, thank you for that caricature. I'm glad I was able to make your day by "coming into the fold."

But seriously, after re-reading some of these posts, this movie sounds so much more articulated, in-depth, and poignant now. Just the ability to draw so many conclusions on your own, then question if any of the events actually took place is why I found this movie so fun.

spoiler[ To think that Nishi didn't even die or if a majority of this just takes place in the mind is a very refreshing way to look at it. Throw in the double entendre of the name Mind Game and you've got quite a creation on your hands.]

And after that little explanation on spoiler[ "the power of the mind," I think this adds yet another theme to be aware of. (To quote a certain blue choo-choo train) "I think I can" would be the most simplistic way to interpret that message.

Much like The Little Engine That Could, the possible theory over the power of the mind is a great representation of being optimistic.

Clearly, anyone that was trapped in a whale with little hope of escaping would more than likely give up, right? But thanks to that optimism and the "God" incident (which I still can't get over), you have this ultimate manifestation of high spirits, which you then see represented through all of their thoughts and actions (and yes, that sex scene was especially meaningful since we're talking "high spirits" here).]

And for that, this is why I love Mind Game so much. As bizarre and unworldly as it seems at first glance, it's truly the little things that require so much attention.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
well i just watched this and i have to say........................AWESOME!!!! i watched the part where spoiler[Nishi watched himself get killed a bunchof times] like 5 times before i continued.....same withspoiler[the dance thing where the girls were jump-roping with the old guys and Nishi's bamboo penis's and the baloon dance] and not to mention the whole ecsaping part, GOD i love this movie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
spoiler[the dance thing where the girls were jump-roping with the old guys and Nishi's bamboo penis's]

I have to say, that scene kills me every time. Everyone's HUGE Felix-the-Cat style eyeballs, those insane grins on their faces, and the bright colors and music... I laugh out loud every single time.

It just emphasizes the fact that, along with being a brilliant work of art, Mind Game is just a fun movie to watch. I can't think of many other films that make me just feel good, like this one. It's beautiful and uplifting and a joyous celebration of life and all its experiences.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
ya, i watched it again this morning and i couldnt stop laughing on that part and i keep being amazed at the escape scene too, man this movie rocks the casba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
A full-resolution Mind Game trailer can be found here.

Mind Game Promotional Material - Are You God.vob

You'll need DVD playing software on your computer to view the trailer, both WinDVD and PowerDVD should work, among others.

I bought my fully legit copy of Mind Game at YesAsia.

http://www.yesasia.com

http://global.yesasia.com/en/prdTransfer.aspx/pid-1003878240/
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah this Anime was amazing. The music, visuals, characters. There are no room for words, only room in your mind to try and absorb all the images thrown at you. A must watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3