• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied ending (SPOILERS).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Thanks, that pretty much says it.

And I too could use more Elfen Lied, I think 10 to 13 more episodes in fact.

Actually I sort of agree, though I think it would have to be done very carefully so we don't get bored. Maybe more like 5 to 10 eppys.

I want the ending tied up a bit more. I mean we all are pretty sure bout what happened but it would be interesting to see why it happened. Also there are a few unanswered questions that I got that I would like. Such as spoiler[ Why the heck do/did the male dudes have the horns? Also why was Lucy the Queen? Did the Dissoiate Identity Disorder aka DID (or multiple personalities) start when she was a child, and that was how the Discolusins started. (sorry but the speeling there)]

Smile they did answer those. Allow me...

1) spoiler[the males in the end, the director general and his son, had the horns because they had very bad intentions with lucy and the others. This is also the reason they wnted lucy so badly. Lucy was the only dichlonius that was able to reproduce, and they wanted to sped up the destruction of humanity, mking the dichlonius disease a commonplace birth defect; they wanted EVERYONE to be a dichlonius. They were simply putting themselves into the experiment. That also explains why the director generals son was going to have his way with lucy when he took her from kouta and his cousin.]

2) spoiler[The Dichlonius disease, along with the horns, is a birth defect. Lucy, Nana, and Mariko, were all born that way. The "personalities" you speak of, are just voices inside her head, which i've been lead to believe are the extreme emotions that enable her to use her vectors egging her on (as they can only be used in states of stress, which are also if you watch carefuly all the times Lucy comes around). Also, I dont believe Lucy was the root of the disease, but it's been a week or two since i watched so correct me if im wrong.]

hope that helps! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
So close but not quite there. Check what I wrote in this thread.

BTW those vectors can be used at any time. In episode 10.5 you can see Lucy as a child using them while clearly not angry and under no stress at all. It's just Lucy's Nyuu persona that can't use them so naturally Lucy has to emerge if they are needed, and that's almost always in a situation of stress.
Haruhi Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:40 am Reply with quote
bah i new i screwed that up somewhere....hell i shulda just rewatched th key episodes and then filled this kid in...

but im too lazy to do that. So gauss came and saved the day for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
I've been looking for the manga to continue the storyline for a long while now, but I've had no luck with it at all. Does anyone have either A) a plot summary of what happens to the characters from where the anime ends to the conclusion, B) a source for the manga, C) could just type up the rest of the story line? The ending has been driving me nuts and I really wanna know how the entire thing REALLY goes.
wasti_ec

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mistress9"]
Dargonxtc wrote:

I want the ending tied up a bit more. I mean we all are pretty sure bout what happened but it would be interesting to see why it happened. Also there are a few unanswered questions that I got that I would like. Such as spoiler[ Why the heck do/did the male dudes have the horns? Also why was Lucy the Queen? Did the Dissoiate Identity Disorder aka DID (or multiple personalities) start when she was a child, and that was how the Discolusins started. (sorry but the speeling there)]

I would like it too, i saw the hole series and i did like it very much too... and about saikano i watched the 1st episode and foundit amazing... too bad that in germany you just don´t get that kind of stuff so easily...
The Great Melinko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
[Nope, no peddling scanlations, scumbag. --Nagi]
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="wasti_ec"]
Mistress9 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

I would like it too, i saw the hole series and i did like it very much too... and about saikano i watched the 1st episode and foundit amazing... too bad that in germany you just don´t get that kind of stuff so easily...

I did not write that, mistress9 did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm but I still wonder about some of those: spoiler[ I mean the fact that she had voices inside her head, well wouldn't that be the start of her 'other/lucyor nyu' personality. That's what I meant when I was talking bout her personalities, that I thought they started there instead of when she got shot in the first Eppy, am I just crazy?

Also just because the guys wanted Lucy because she was the perfect specimen, aka, was the only one that could breed. While how does that explain their horns? Why did they have the horns?Did the do experiments to get the horns, or where they also born as, lets say 'sterile'/vectorless discolosians (spelling?) The show didn't really clear that up, or did it and I just missed it.

Also I know that this mutation was a birth defect, but why did it happen, what made it happen. Was Lucy the first, and it was born to say because of her developed personalities. As a result of her childhood, and she spread it to the others, through the men? Is this why she is a queen. Even as a birth defect there should be a reason for the mutation, shouldn't there? I also want to no what happens after the ending, does he go after Lucy? I do believe it was Lucy. Is she a human now and not a discolusion because she no longer had the horns? But if this was the case then how could she still make the clock work? Didn't she use her vectors for that. ]

These are some questions I still have and even if the first few were reasonably answered, which I don't see that they were. I think that they could do a few more eppys or a movie that could flesh them out better. That's all.[/spoiler]
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
spoiler[She develops a split personality after meeting Kouta. Young Lucy knew murder was wrong but as long everybody was nasty or indifferent towards her she culd justify her actions. Kouta was the first one Lucy met that she felt was genuinely good towards her. Ergo she could no longer justify killing innocents. Her personality temporarily splits between a good Lucy and a murderous Lucy. Those two personalities merged again into one angry package after she felt Kouta betrayed her. The Nyuu persona in turn stems more from amnesia than a true split personality.

As for the two guys having horns: they were born that way. I'm surprised so many people missed the part where the director tells his new assistant (previously his nephew's assistant) about the history of the diclonius. The males could only reproduce with normal females (since diclonius females "breed" by infecting normal males). The end result was that their ancestors lost their powers but retained their horns. Those horns caused them to be ostracized by normal humans, which is why the director is carrying such a huge chip on his shoulder. Logically this also means the diclonius are completely reliant on humans for reproduction. Lucy is the key to break that hold since she can become pregnant.

Lucy is still a diclonius despite the loss of her horns. And yes, she used her vectors to fix the clock. I heard that in the later volumes of the manga it is explained that it is the horns that make the diclonius aggressive. That might well be a misunderstanding of what was said in the manga since Nana is about the sweetest thing with horns out there. I would say it's the environment that shapes them (bullying, inhuman experiments etc) since it's also clear that they are capable of liking normal humans. Note that most of the information we get about the supposedly inherent aggressive nature of the diclonius comes from the research institution and its mad director who is driving his own agenda.]
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Even with everyone's explanation this Elfen Lied is still full of plot holes.spoiler[ Your telling me that Lucy fixed the clock in the end of the show. Using her vectors?

You've got to be kidding me. One, how does she know how to fix a clock? She has been locked up most or at least half of her life.( A long portion of her life.) When did she take the time to go to a repair class? Lucy/Nyuu isn't even well educated yet she knows the inner workings of the clock. You have got be joking.

Two, her vectors can only reach about 2 meters if I remembered correctly. Was she even close enough to fix the clock? I highly doubt it. Remember Kouta, Yuka, Mayu, and Nana lived in an inn. The inn was exceptionally large. Holding at least what five different rooms. And Lucy at the end of the house standing at the back gate. What happened did the reach of Lucy's vectors miraculously expand with no logical explanation?

Three, Most of her life she has been killing people. destruction is all she used her vectors for except for a few episodes and episode 10.5 which brought up even more contradictions and flaws than answers. How the hell did she learn to use her vectors to fix the clock when she is exordinarily ignorant with the topic. As well as not being delicate and precise with her vectors. Without using them to murder or juggle objects.

Four, lets say Lucy did somehow manage to use her vectors and fix the clock without squat experience by expanding her vectors past 2 meters how did this get by Nana? Why wasnt Nana able to sense Lucy's prescence? Throughout the whole anime series Nana has been able to sense other Diclonius' presence. And at the end she is unable to sense Lucy's.
Elfen Lied does not add up. Too many contradictions and flaws prevent the series from being logical.
]
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Kin7cato wrote:
Even with everyone's explanation this Elfen Lied is still full of plot holes.spoiler[ Your telling me that Lucy fixed the clock in the end of the show. Using her vectors?

You've got to be kidding me. One, how does she know how to fix a clock? She has been locked up most or at least half of her life.( A long portion of her life.) When did she take the time to go to a repair class? Lucy/Nyuu isn't even well educated yet she knows the inner workings of the clock. You have got be joking.

Two, her vectors can only reach about 2 meters if I remembered correctly. Was she even close enough to fix the clock? I highly doubt it. Remember Kouta, Yuka, Mayu, and Nana lived in an inn. The inn was exceptionally large. Holding at least what five different rooms. And Lucy at the end of the house standing at the back gate. What happened did the reach of Lucy's vectors miraculously expand with no logical explanation?

Three, Most of her life she has been killing people. destruction is all she used her vectors for except for a few episodes and episode 10.5 which brought up even more contradictions and flaws than answers. How the hell did she learn to use her vectors to fix the clock when she is exordinarily ignorant with the topic. As well as not being delicate and precise with her vectors. Without using them to murder or juggle objects.

Four, lets say Lucy did somehow manage to use her vectors and fix the clock without squat experience by expanding her vectors past 2 meters how did this get by Nana? Why wasnt Nana able to sense Lucy's prescence? Throughout the whole anime series Nana has been able to sense other Diclonius' presence. And at the end she is unable to sense Lucy's.
Elfen Lied does not add up. Too many contradictions and flaws prevent the series from being logical.
]

I don't think guass meant she fixed it from the gate, but rather walked into the house, fixed it and walked out, and when Kohta is walking outside, she's on her way out. Personally that's not what it looked like to me, but defently could be a possibility.
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
spoiler[That is highly unlikely. Someone would have noticed her coming inside the house especially in the daylight. Nana could have easily sensed her presence regardless of physcially seeing her or the fact that Lucy got her horns shot off. Even the dog would have barked in excitement of seeing Lucy/Nyuu again.

You still have not answered my other questions on how Lucy/Nyuu fixed the clock with no practical training or knowledge of working clocks.

Lets say we ignore the valid points that I made before hand. And Lucy knows how to fix the clock even though she has been confined and lacks an education. Lets say she is magically capable of doing this. How in the hell could she have walked in the house and fixed the clock without being caught.
It would take time to fix a clock. She is faster than professional repairers. Complete rubbish.

Oh wait I get it now.... I didn't know lucy knows how to fix objects using Alchemy. Oh wait I forgot Edward Elric taught Lucy how to use Alchemy thats how she fixed the it instantly without making a sound. It makes perfect sense now.

Lets get past all this bull**** it is illogical. A glaring flaw and contradiction that does not make sense. Elfen Lied is does not add up.]
YoMaNaTiOn

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya wrote:
spoiler[she survived, and the clock is indeed a symbolic representation of her return. Lucy's the girl outside the gate.]

and though the manga goes further, it basically shows what we speculate, proceeding many more books and getting crappier and crappier with each different book...story goes to hell.
manga tuned into a letdown after it sided off from the anime, for me at least...

That's sadly 100% true for me too Confused
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not arguing she walked into the house. spoiler[The reach of the vectors increase as a diclonius matures and in the fight with Mariko we see Lucy "floating" up in the air at a height way above two meters. Reach is not a problem.

Nana's ability to sense others of her kind doesn't seem to extend particularly far. The second time Nana meets Lucy she is standing just outside the gate when she detects her presence. Some seconds later Lucy opens the gate since she was already on her way out. In the final scene they are gathered in the dining room at the back of the house. So I don't think it's that strange if Nana failed to pick up Lucy's presence at that distance, especially if she wasn't even actively looking.

As for gaining watchmaking skills, time did pass between the final fights (late spring) and the final scene (high summer). ]

And if that is still not satisfactory then here's a hint: it's fiction! Good storytelling takes precedence over iron logic.
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
I'm not arguing she walked into the house. spoiler[The reach of the vectors increase as a diclonius matures and in the fight with Mariko we see Lucy "floating" up in the air at a height way above two meters. Reach is not a problem.

Nana's ability to sense others of her kind doesn't seem to extend particularly far. The second time Nana meets Lucy she is standing just outside the gate when she detects her presence. Some seconds later Lucy opens the gate since she was already on her way out. In the final scene they are gathered in the dining room at the back of the house. So I don't think it's that strange if Nana failed to pick up Lucy's presence at that distance, especially if she wasn't even actively looking.

As for gaining watchmaking skills, time did pass between the final fights (late spring) and the final scene (high summer). ]

And if that is still not satisfactory then here's a hint: it's fiction! Good storytelling takes precedence over iron logic.

spoiler[During the final fight with Mariko Lucy is floating higher than two meters in the air. Not directly because she has matured so much and her Vectors have increased their range to at least 5 meters.

If you look closely it is because Lucy is using her Vectors to propel herself into the air. This is how she is jumping through the air not the fact that she has matured so much ,over what a few months. Reach is still a problem. She wouldn't have been able to fix the clock from that range.

Remember why did Nana leave the house near the end? She sensed Mariko's presence. How far away was Mariko? She was in a helicopter approaching the island. And she also was not actively looking for Mariko or Lucy either. That is pretty far regardless of what you say the story does not have any structure (logical). Its not strange that Nana didn't sense Lucy. Its an utter flaw with the story.

I can't believe that you are actually trying to bring credibility to the fact that she learned watch fixing skills during the time she was away. Gauss you must be incredibly desperate to defend this anime series because it shows. The fact that you even suggest this is not even funny.

What was Lucy doing during the time she was away? It was pretty much left up to assumption. But I know bull**** when I hear it. Lucy was probably hiding and struggling for survival during the time she was away. Because its obvious that she is alive with no dead body to confirm her death. And the fact that the soldiers saw the horn get shot off her head. The fact is they would still be searching for her and they have a identification picture to find her. So its not like they stopped and went home.

Where in your surreal non realstic imaginative world she was attending college classes and watch repairing classes. While running for mayor and declaring world peace...

Your right Elfen Lied is fiction. But it is definately not believeable by any means. And its not convincing. It is very obvious that I have much higher standard than you do. Good story telling takes precedence over iron logic. In some cases this is might ...... be true

( If its fantasy or Sci- Fi however even then the story has its own logical structure of the way things work based on its own world. Elfen Lied does not even abide by its own structure.)

yeah right if your a complete emotional illogical person that goes solely on feeling who therefore lacks depth. And will defend anything because of an emotional attachment, regardless of the flaws and contradictions solely because I LOVE IT mentality. Without being honest about the facts that are at hand. You might as well stop giving your opinions because they are completely biased. And there is no substance or anything really to support your claims.

Too bad, because it also fails in storytelling and its execution. It is not believeable or convincing. Elfen Lied simply does not add up. Nor does it come close. Good storytelling nope. Great story telling nope. Excellent story telling, sorry. Masterpiece story telling nada. Iron Logic this anime series doesnt even understand this concept. Believeable and Convincing story well maybe if I was 15. I'm sorry it does not master any of the above. Good bye...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4