• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: XSEED to Release Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Game on PC/PSP in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expias

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
shadowsythe13 wrote:
come on xseed gives us more legend of heroes like trail in flash or trail in zero/blue

Then you damn well better make sure everyone you know buys a copy. Once they do (IF they do) 3rd, it's the point of no return as it pretty much requires them to go on with the series which alone is a HUGE investment.
You better believe we need to make them think it's worthwhile.

For those who don't know, the Trails series is known in the industry to be one of the most massive text-heavy game series ever. The one just announced, SC, itself has a very comparable JAPANESE word count in comparison to the series Wheel of Time. 3 million in Japanese characters for just the main scenario and side quests. It doesn't include NPC dialogue and the like. This is with what i've heard should be about 1 Japanese character to 2-3 English characters would be about 7-10 million characters for us. That is enormous. It's one of THE biggest reasons why no one has even wanted to localize the series in the first place.

SC isn't even the worst one. Zero (the installment that comes up after Third's lead) is bigger than SC's. Ao is bigger than Zero. The newest one, Sen, is rumored to be even bigger than Ao's.

For comparison, I've read that FFXII's script got to about 800,000 characters. Final Fantasy games don't come close to the amount of text that needs to be translated in just the main scenario/side quests for Trails.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

If you can think for more than 2 secs before posting, it adds up pretty nicely. Ys 0, 1, 2 also had fan translations that they likely used.
I need to think? You're posting nonesense. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Just face it, Ys 7 is the only thing they actually bothered with. And yea, I'm sure that those few voiced Ys 3 segments killed their budget.

Um.....Oath of Felgehanna has a lot more than a few voiced cutscenes, Did it kill thier budget? Maybe, but you're argument is basically that Xseed is doing these games on the cheep. That's why you referenced them using a fan translation as an example of them being really cheap. But they voiced quite a bit and if they were really cheap they either could have not voiced it or voiced it and went with extremely cheap audio companies. They did neither.

Also I hope you understand, they paid for that fan translation.

And Origin and 1/2 Chronicles don't use fan translations.

Nothing you're saying actually adds up to anything. You asked "why are they bothering with old games" which is quite stupid to ask if you've followed what the company has said.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/31/xseed-looking-to-bring-more-games-especially-jrpgs-to-pc/

It's doing pretty well for them, why you would reply "weird" to something that's basically inline with what Xseed's been doing I'm not sure.

You said basically without the fan translation they wouldn't have bothered with it, but not only did they do more work than they had to if they just wanted to stay cheap, it was also the first Ys PSP game they brought over and the begining of them basically being committed to Falcom.
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/171.html

Why would they make a deal with Falcom on a title they are going to treat so cheaply as you're implying. Seems kind of odd to commit to release two other games by your logic.

How about next time before you post you actually know what you're talking about ok.
Kerberous wrote:

That makes sense.
So actual financial reasons don't make sense, but basically fandom reasons that no company ever submits to makes sense? Ok.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2