• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - Hiroaki Yura

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But his sonatas are, with a bit of practice.... However, most chamber music was take-home-and-playable at that time, having been written for the composers' students and clients.

True, true, I must agree with pretty much everything you say here. And yes, HH is awesome; her recording of the Elgar violin concerto is phenomenal.
Kira Dwenna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Isn't there that video game where you actually play a conductor who leads an orchestra ... now that's the kind of synthesis I'm talking about.

Mad Maestro is that game, I believe. Cool

I have just a brief comment about marching bands.
I realize that most people get the 'comraderie' effect from them, and very little (or very little good) musical training, but I still feel that they have a valid place in teaching kids how to be musicians.

When you've grown up in a small town, as I have, and most of the music program is cut except for the marching band - because of football's popularity Evil or Very Mad - this is practically the only way to get exposure (Short of having private lessons, and these only possible if your parents have a certain level of income - mine did not).

Unlike a lot of my other classmates in band, I went on to major in music at the local college.
To put it bluntly, I'm not very good at performing. Period. I lack the talent that comes from years of practicing if you start at an early age. I also have very little time to practice for 6 hours a day - which is what I would need to do to get accomplished enough at an instrument to graduate. Needing to pay for school does that to you.

But I have discovered that I enjoy writing music. And, though I am not experienced at it at all, I have been told that what I do is not bad. *laughs*

Marching band may have not been the best way to learn music, but it did put me on the road to where I am right now. If a classical music education, or even more opportunities, had been available to me, I would have done those. Given the choice between having some music or no music, though, what would you pick?
Wink

I honestly think that this whole videogame music concert concept is a very good idea. The symphony orchestra may be a dying form, but by golly! It is something else to sit in an audience during a stirring performance and feel the music happening through you. That's something you don't get from recordings, and if they can keep the medium alive - even as an eclectic, once-in-a-great-while thing - by firing the younger generation's interest in it, I say do it!

There's no hurt in sneaking a few classical pieces in while they're at it, too. Wink
Akagi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
want to increase funding for music programs in the schools?

interesting idea, right? Almost all the funding for the American public school comes from local property taxes. The townfolk's and business' taxes are used to fund the public schools. So obviously the schoolboard would want divide the funds depending on what the community seems to value. If the community values a certain area over another, this will have certain weight in decisions about money. You'd be surprised at how much community values can effect schools.
One of the biggest ways for a music program to find more money in the budget is to get the community to take it seriously. But a large amount of the community may only see the program during parades, football games, basketball games, or special ceremonies. If music directors take these events seriously (and not blow them off), then the community may also begin to take them seriously as well. Yes, there is a major point to marching bands... community involvement helps a lot.

If one were to take a similar approach as Yura (incorporate more contemporary or popular tunes with traditional tunes in an interesting medium), maybe they could find more funds for music. With more funds, there could be better education in the music and music history. Students can find out how important earlier composers were. But to get to the "high class" we might have to go through the "low class" first.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
I am no expert in classical music history, but wasn't folk music the pop music of yesteryear? As others said, classical music was really always for the elite in society.

Aside from hearing classical works in church services, I can't see the average person of two hundred years ago being much more likely to listen to Mozart than people are now. While we do live in a hyperactive culture today that encourages ADD, I think people in any age were never inclined to sit still and listen to slow pieces of music (or very orderly works like Baroque compositions) when they could be dancing to or singing a folk tune.

And I can't see these "fusion" concerts with VG music and big screens playing video clips encouraging youth to get into classical stuff. Particularly not when we're comparing a four-minute Final Fantasy arrangement with a 20-minute Rachmaninoff work. Listening to a FF score is nice when you can remember the events of the game or see them in front of you, but classical music requires imagination to conjure up the video. I wonder if kids are being encouraged to use their imaginations like they used to, especially with the decline of reading and playing "imaginary" games outdoors in place of watching TV and playing VGs.

The traditional classical music scene is in decline, but hopefully there will always be a few orchestras available to people who are interested in getting the live experience. I just think those people will be motivated by their (a) in-born interest or (b) early exposure to the classical works, not by VGM concerts. That being said, I would love to see what Eminence does with that there video game music.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime/Final Fantasy people are definitely more emotional than the type of people described. But maybe a there's a better example than World of Warcraft, GTA more like it (Final Fantasy freaks are often the type of people you will see online for 100 hours a week on WOW while playing FF in between that and on forums in between that. They are, after all, both RPG's). But look at it this way: in order to like anime or Final Fantasy, you sort of have to be emotional. The music, the storyline, almost every aspect of these things are emotional. You really can't truly enjoy things like Gundam or Final Fantasy if you're just wanting to get to the action. In GTA you can skip every cut-scene and blast everybody for the entire game and still enjoy it as much as the next guy.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
Minor Nitpick:

The Masaki Nakamura named in the interview is not the same one to whom the link refers within the ANN Encyclopaedia.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
Minor Nitpick:

The Masaki Nakamura named in the interview is not the same one to whom the link refers within the ANN Encyclopaedia.

Fixed--sorry about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2