• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX on Tenjho Tenge Edits Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that CMX could say that their current release of TT is successful. If people are so outraged by the edits, why do they continue to sell? Stop buying the damn things, that'll wake them up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Lack:
Quote:
So a woman in bed with a blanket over her is NOT sexy?

Depends on how much they're willing to outline under the covers. Wink

Quote:
A knife cut isn't violence?

Not if the wound looks like a black bar or just a darker shade of peach like I've noticed in most American comics.

Quote:
DC has been producing "adult" mature comics for decades now,

So they should know better than anyone to dumb down a Japanese mature comic for a children's audience. Could you imagine Sin City being edited into a Teen Titans?

Quote:
and winning critical acclaim and prestige within the world of sequential art.

Now they're just desperate for people to read their comics by getting Time Warner to produce crappy films like Superman Rerturns. Laughing

Quote:
Just because Superman doesn't cuss or show nudity doesn't mean other American comics don't.

Are you referring to underground comics or "indie" comics, because the indies usually only have slightly racier content than the mainstream titles.

Quote:
I am surprised at your ignorance, especially in light of more recent hollywood portrayals of decades old comics like V for Vendetta, or the more recent Sin City.

V for Vendetta was a bastardization. Just ask Alan Moore. The Sin City movie producers actually asked for Miller's input.

Quote:
Superman dying is a big deal, because Superman, unlike ANY manga character ever created, he is both an internationaly recognized icon, and a universally observed icon for his nation.

But it was a gimmick to sell more comics, and he eventually came back.

Quote:
American comics have ALWAYS done
what you think manga has been "doing for years." As far back as the 1930's in fact.

The problem is they stopped doing it after the 1950's, no thanks to the Comic Code, and it's taken them years to catch up.

Quote:
Read something like Fables, Y the Last Man, God loves Man Kills, Watchmen, or really any number of stories that are not part of your perceived notion of American comics.

But they're usually just nihilistic titles, not really "mature" in the sense that they tackle issues relevant to readers.

Quote:
They did it so that it could be released to a much larger audience, thus getting more fans into the medium.

No, they did it, because they were hoping it would sell to the shoujo crowd, and it failed.

Quote:
If you think that the entire worth of a series is destroyed by editing out some blatant sexual imagery...then perhaps you don't really respect the work at all.

Normally, I'd agree, but the sexual content is part of the story in Tenjho Tenge. It's not like the original edit of Kite, where the edited content is still implied that you can get the gist of the story. DC gutted out any hint of this being a mature title.

Kaiterra:
Quote:
It's not like what's been edited detracts from the story in any meaningful way.

Depends on the edit.

Quote:
Isn't it more important that the story is able to reach the book's target audience?

Not if the target audience is too young to be able to look at it, anyway. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
It's not like TenTen is some kind of sophisticated literature or high art anyway.

Well neither are Battle Royale or Negima, and Tokyopop and Del Rey still let the art remain untouched.

Quote:
And the author himself says sure, go make these edits, so it's not censorship either.

The author's agreeing to whatever he thinks will sell.

Quote:
It's just adapting the material so it can be taken in more effectively by the younger target audience in the US, since it really is a book targeted to teenagers and while that content is okay for them in Japan, it's not so here.

It's targeted to older teens in Japan. It's being targeted to pre-teens here.

Quote:
Sure, nothing they haven't seen, but do you really think their parents are gonna be cool with it?

If the parents don't like it, they shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

Ultima:
Quote:
I'm surprised that CMX could say that their current release of TT is successful.

It's PR. The fact that they had to change the rating indicates it wasn't actually reaching its target audience. It sells relative to
their low expectations, but not relative to the market in general.
appleturbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it but welcome to the 21st century where we have become a place that believes in cencorship

besides what other people have already stated is correct. sending letters won't change things.

not buying it sends a much more clearer message.
rentauri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
There most successful? Wow I knew they had troubles but if TenTen is there most successful how do they stay in business? If I remember right I believe that many stopped ordering TenTen after there little changes to it. I would love to see the units sold of TenTen as compared to other successful titles out there.

Honestly though you would have thought that CMX would have looked at the manga business and realized that editing it would be like shooting oneself in the foot, not fatal but pointless, stupid and costly. I would love to hear them try to explain why they thought TenTen should be edited in the first place? I always figured it was for the money, more of a customer base in the teen bracket than the 18+ bracket.

It wasn't the edits that pissed me off on TenTen, yeah the edits were bad (blood= no edit, sex= edit) and would have stopped me form buying it, it was the fact that they didn't inform anyone about it. The crapstorm that was most everyone trying to refund and return CMX's great work should have been an indictor.

Wasn't Negima almost edited like TenTen? I thought that when it was coming out the mangaka said that he was surpised about the edits and people flooded the Del Ray demanding an explaination. I tried to find it here but I couldn't and if I'm wrong disregard this paragraph. I bring this up becuase Del Ray wrapped Negima and it is one of their most successful mangas. I truly believe that TenTen could have been if CMX hadn't edited it. The chances of an unedited TenTen are about the same as CMX actually admitting they screwed up in the first place. It is possible but simply not going to happen.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wake me up when the unedited version hits the shelves... Rolling Eyes
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
I hate to say it but welcome to the 21st century where we have become a place that believes in cencorship.

Not to sound priggish but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Editing of a manga with the author's consent to sell more copies is not censorship. Stupid yes. Poor market awareness Yes. But censorship? Absolutely not. People don't seem to be aware of what censorship is anymore.
Kurozen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Really, there's is no real reason why they cannot release future volumes unedited and gradually re-release older volumes unedited, perhaps even giving a discount to people who have already purchased the edited versions. Sure-fire way to get their respect abck.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
yeah...people may have not been buying but those seemed to be the hard core fans...

IF the editor's words are true and say TenTen is one of their best seller, the everyday normal manga readers are either putting up with the edits because they have no choice or have no idea that it's butchered the hell out of it....

who knows how many units sold vs unsold copies are there from CMX TenTen????
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I own a couple thousand dollars of manga, but I activly avoid CMX due to their treatment of Tenten.

I wish they would just brake down and sell a un-edited version.

I also would like to see a poll on this issue. I could understand ANN not wanting to burn posable advertising bridges with a negative slanted poll though.

rentauri wrote:

Wasn't Negima almost edited like TenTen? I thought that when it was coming out the mangaka said that he was surpised about the edits and people flooded the Del Ray demanding an explaination. I tried to find it here but I couldn't and if I'm wrong disregard this paragraph. I bring this up becuase Del Ray wrapped Negima and it is one of their most successful mangas. I truly believe that TenTen could have been if CMX hadn't edited it. The chances of an unedited TenTen are about the same as CMX actually admitting they screwed up in the first place. It is possible but simply not going to happen.

I remember that happening too. I'm too lazy to look it up though.
Bata-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
rentauri wrote:

"Negima" was so close of being edited, having lots of coverups. Ever since Del Rey decided to not edit the manga at all, but rather listen to the outrage of the fans and have some sort of plastic cover, the manga has had success over here. I think that's what you were trying to point out.

Oh. Keep in mind that "Negima" is a B series if we're going by the CERO system. When it was released outside of Japan, it became a C series or more likely, a D series.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't buy TenTen- why? Because I am not interested in TenTen. Land of the Blindfolded is a far more superior manga, and the treatement of some of the other titles they have are pretty good. And coming up this September they have the jewel in the crown, the award-winning Emma, and there's the new series by the same mangaka who does LotB. So yeah, you may boycott CMX, but there's one thing you can't do and that is make me stop buying CMX, if they have good titles.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
sabriyam:
Quote:
Editing of a manga with the author's consent to sell more copies is not censorship.

It's censorship with consent.

Bata-kun: Negima would have made money, edits or no edits, because it rips off Harry Potter and will appeal to Love Hina fans.
Tenjo Tenge is about as appealing as Battle Vixens. Actually, less appealing, since it doesn't even have the comedy that the other two series have to attract younger audiences.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So stop screaming about Tenjho Tenge if you don't like it. I didn't see anything to Vol 1, so I didn't buy other volumes.
I am enjoying The Devil Does Exist, From Eroica With Love, Young Magician, Pieces of a Spiral, Seimaden & Tenryu.
At least they didn't leave us high & dry like ADV releasing one or 2 stupid volumes (Tactics, Loki, Your & My Secret, several others we only saw 1 volume of.)

This is like One Piece. We're never going to see an uncut version (nor will we ever see the uncut YuGiOh or Shaman King finished) so it doesn't matter. A lot of companies are stuck in the old days('60's or so) when they could run roughshod over a product. I still hate seeing "Reversioned by Funimation" when it flits across my tv screen (if it needs to be "reversioned" why are people even wanting to see it in the first place? I really would prefer seeing the original Japanese names on Caase Closed since there's no chance of it airing on CN anymore. They already messed up by re-naming a character that returned 4 episodes later & they re-named him again with a different name & VA-Serina(Sabrina?What did they re-name her?)'s sist's fiancee. We meet him around ep 74 & he returns in the first Kaito Kid ep as someone else in English. The book publisher's suffered the same fate.) They just can't get it thru their heads they aren't improving it changing it beyond translating into English & making it coherent
Bata-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
sabriyam:
Quote:
Editing of a manga with the author's consent to sell more copies is not censorship.

It's censorship with consent.

Bata-kun: Negima would have made money, edits or no edits, because it rips off Harry Potter and will appeal to Love Hina fans.
Tenjo Tenge is about as appealing as Battle Vixens. Actually, less appealing, since it doesn't even have the comedy that the other two series have to attract younger audiences.

Well, initially, I would have said yes and no. I say yes because it already did appeal to majority of the "Love Hina" fans outside of Japan and it does resemble a lot like "Harry Potter". I say no also because I couldn't get into "Negima" even before it got over here. (It's partially because of the amount of girls I have to remember. Some Akamatsu-san fans will tell you that "Love Hina" doesn't give you many names to remember while "Negima" does.) The only reason I bought the first tankoubon of the English version was because of some promise I made a long time ago. That is, I was still reading "Negima" when the official annoucement was released and at the time, I didn't buy a tankoubon of "Love Hina".

The thing with "Tenjou Tenge" is that the reason why most people prefer it over "Ikki Tousen" is because despite the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" element, most people who studied the story will tell you that it horribly represents the story. Granted, there are not many funny moments outside of Nagi calling Takayanagi "Takoyaki", but at least it doesn't show a classic story horribly. However, I'd rather watch "Ikki Tousen's" anime over "Tenten's", though "Tenten" has that high beat opening song bombing my head and that I want it out. (No pun intended.)

As for, "It's censorship with consent," that I can't argue with you there. Ha ha ha! "It's censorship with consent."
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Something funny. This evening on the news I found out there are actual videostores in the US that only rent and sell "edited" videos of most current and past Hollywood movies. Supposedly the owners in these stores have removed all the language and other objectionable content to where they will appeal to the "broadest possible audience". Shocked Same thing CMX is doing with Tenge.

The funny part is that they have been sued by the movie companies for violating copyrights, by editing the movies and then offering them for sale or rental. So all the movies have to be destroyed. It just seemed like an eerie coencidence. Of course this couldn't happen UNLESS a manga was altered WITHOUT the creator's approval. And I really wonder if they REALLY get approval point by point, or whether the manga writer just gives them blanket approval.

I have also heard that Battle Vixens and Battle Royale were both censored in a different way. Namely, that US comic book writer and artist Keith Giffen "adapted" the characters and the storylines after the translation was done to satisfy his own lowly standards of storytelling. That brings up a whole other can of worms. What if the art is not changed, but the characters are portrayed differently that originally intentioned through a changing of dialogue not by translators, but by "US comic book writers" who Tokyopop probably thought would give their title prestige. What I mean is what if the intentions of the writer are censored not through art, but through dialogue?

I grew up reading Marvel and DC comic books and spent most of my allowance every week on them so I speak from a spot of knowledge. I lost interest in them when they ceased to be about story and more about collecting. Who in their right mind pays more than cover price for a volume of manga?!! No matter what it is, Bleach or Land of the Blindfolded, you pay about $10. Thats what I love about them. People buy them to read. They dont buy them for the paper! They dont buy them for the computer coloring process. Not to store in your closet and sell them 20 years later. The same joy I used to get from American comics I now get from manga. And what's the newest cutting edge.....Batwoman is a lesbian! Wow. Talk about flirting with the edge Confused There's lesbianism or implied girl love romantic feelings in lot of anime and manga out there, and I don't even have to talk about Yaoi. That's what I mean about marvel and dc being behind the curve.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6